Stephen Hart

aussoccerfan

Kevin's concerns are the same as mine, I find it annoying that

a simple confirmation of the receipt of the resume was not even

made apparently. Not very professional or courteous, IMHO.

I am assuming that since the "deadline" is in January that any

confirmation would be provided by then. As for choosing a

Canadian vs. non-Canadian, I would prefer some with international

experience that understands the unique (ie. sad) situation that exists

currently. And it doesn't matter where the guy's from, so long as

he's good for our WC prep and long-term plans.

I hope the "new" CSA has "new" strategies to get funding required

to be competitive, let alone get us to the promised land.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same old. Same old. I know of a DFB certified coach who applied for an advertised coaching position in the mid 90's. The job was handed to an very much less qualified fellow with a 'better accent' and the coach I know was never even given the courtesy of an acknowledgement that his resume was received. This is a perfect example of the lack of transparency that Paul Stalteri, among others, has complained about.

Understood. Of course there's no apparent need to interview anybody qualified when there's a Scot or Brit ex-pat ready to step-in. No qualifications, no worries, have a pint.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Understood. Of course there's no apparent need to interview anybody qualified when there's a Scot or Brit ex-pat ready to step-in. No qualifications, no worries, have a pint.

To be fair Ed, the CSA did hire Holger, Pellerud, and Hart

despite their lack of affinity with the land of Coronation Street.

I'm just hoping that since the Yallop experience was not a pleasant

one, that the CSA and Linford would consider a different direction.

Getting a high-profile coach would provide some amount of credibility

to the programme. Or maybe they're not that serious about WCQ?

quote:Originally posted by redhat

To be fair Ed, the CSA did hire Holger, Pellerud, and Hart

despite their lack of affinity with the land of Coronation Street.

I'm just hoping that since the Yallop experience was not a pleasant

one, that the CSA and Linford would consider a different direction.

Getting a high-profile coach would provide some amount of credibility

to the programme. Or maybe they're not that serious about WCQ?

To be fair, it's a brit who brought us to our only WC appearance and like Redhat said we've hired a Trini, a Norwegian, an arabic (Otmane Ibrir), a quebeker (Beliveau) and a German but I guess it's not enough for Ed.

As for your second paragraph Redhat, firing Kevan Pipe didn't bring us instant $$$ so I guess the CSA has the same old problem: putting the money on an expensive foreigner or using the money for quality preparations but having a cheaper canadian coach???

Personnaly I would go with the foreign coach and hope we can get some money from the U20 WC.

Also if money is really an issue, we should not play games prior to the GC in order to save some money (for the exception of maybe 1 or 2 games in the 2 weeks prior to the tournament). I think it's better for our 2008 group to be playing a lot of games together in the year (between june 2007 and summer 2008) before the WCQ starts instead of playing sporadically in a 2 years period.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

To be fair, it's a brit who brought us to our only WC appearance and like Redhat said we've hired a Trini, a Norwegian, an arabic (Otmane Ibrir), a quebeker (Beliveau) and a German but I guess it's not enough for Ed.

As for your second paragraph Redhat, firing Kevan Pipe didn't bring us instant $$$ so I guess the CSA has the same old problem: putting the money on an expensive foreigner or using the money for quality preparations but having a cheaper canadian coach???

Personnaly I would go with the foreign coach and hope we can get some money from the U20 WC.

Also if money is really an issue, we should not play games prior to the GC in order to save some money (for the exception of maybe 1 or 2 games in the 2 weeks prior to the tournament). I think it's better for our 2008 group to be playing a lot of games together in the year (between june 2007 and summer 2008) before the WCQ starts instead of playing sporadically in a 2 years period.

The fact that a very qualified individual applied and did not even receive the common courtesy of an acknowledgement is the issue (as is currently happening with Kevin's nameless applicant).

Well, you're suggesting that the CSA has a politic of hiring Scots and Brits and ignoring competent candidates. I just showed you that wasn't true.

I would discuss the other issues if they were names named, at this point it's just rumours to me. But yes, even if I apply for the job I would like to receive a courtesy response, it looks more polite that way.

Well, you're suggesting that the CSA has a politic of hiring Scots and Brits and ignoring competent candidates. I just showed you that wasn't true.

I would discuss the other issues if they were names named, at this point it's just rumours to me. But yes, even if I apply for the job I would like to receive a courtesy response, it looks more polite that way.

When did you last send out resumes looking for a job and how many thank you but no thank you letters did you receive in response?

2 years ago I was looking for a lawyer offices to accept me for articling and I've sent maybe 20-30 resumes. I would say that they've pretty much all sent me a courtesy letter, telling me they've received it and will proceed to selection for interviews in the near future.

That's the way it works, it's polite and avoid all the calls by candidates to check if they indedd received the resume.

2 years ago I was looking for a lawyer offices to accept me for articling and I've sent maybe 20-30 resumes. I would say that they've pretty much all sent me a courtesy letter, telling me they've received it and will proceed to selection for interviews in the near future.

That's the way it works, it's polite and avoid all the calls by candidates to check if they indedd received the resume.

Not that I'm involved at all with it but I know for a fact that the company which I work for has this practice for what you might call the senior positions. Positions for which they've advertised anyway. (Not that they do a lot of public looking. I'd have to say they're more into "opportunistic poaching").

Maybe in the legal profession, but as someone who was looking early last year, and again just this past month, I can tell you I was lucky to receive letters from even 10% of the positions I applied for.

Yes, that is the polite way to do business and some still do behave that way but it is no longer the general rule. There are exceptions of course as there always are and as has been illustrated by a few examples here.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Yes, that is the polite way to do business and some still do behave that way but it is no longer the general rule. There are exceptions of course as there always are and as has been illustrated by a few examples here.

I just said that I would expect to receive one, didn't want to start a big debate on the CSA about this. I think they have a lot of other issues to work on before I start bashing them for not sending courtesy letters...

What is a FIFA Coach? Please don't tell me its someone who did FIFA Courses because I myself have been to two of those and have a Certificate. One was in T&T the other in Costa Rica, Peckerman was one of the coaches. Just for the record FIFA does not certify coaches. The receive a diploma of attendance.

After living outside Canada for 12 years, the amazing thing about the country is how it accepts mediocrity. With the exception of hockey, we continually hire coaches that have no international credentials and wonder why we lose at everything. As we have less talent than most footballing nations, if we seriously want to compete with the Belgiums, Wales, and Columbia's of the world we need to hire a world class manager. Hiring Mitchel or Hart (no matter whether they are decent or not) is like hiring a Junior C coach for the Canadian national hockey team. We would never dream of it in that instance. If they hire either one of them, all the stuff that Linford has said about making the national side the priority is complete and utter bull****.

Like The FACA & UEFA (FIFA FLYING TEACHING TEAM) offers different degrees/levels of Instruction in different areas. The fellow I'm still encouraging to apply again has more than one Int coaching Cert. is not Canadian but is not even sure his electronic application has been rec'd. That alone has him wondering about the CSA's mindset and capabilities.

Purpose

FFTT is based on the desire of the FIFA President to provide assistance to member associations for immediate, unforeseen and emergency short-term needs in the areas of coaching, refereeing, women’s football, futsal, administrative and sports medical matters.

Format of FFTT Courses

A panel of FIFA instructors is available to deliver the above-mentioned tailor-made assistance. FIFA reviews each application based on the urgency of the need. The appointment of the expert is the responsibility of FIFA.

quote:Originally posted by Kevin in NS

I just said that I would expect to receive one, didn't want to start a big debate on the CSA about this. I think they have a lot of other issues to work on before I start bashing them for not sending courtesy letters...

My guy is discouraged and with all the changes was wondering if the CSA even received his CV???? He doesn't expect anything more at this point.

He understands they shall hire who they like but taking a national position again with long term plans suits him versus stepping into some newly vacant job in Jan in Europe for perhaps a shorter period.

Why doesn't your friend pick up a telephone and ask directly. Even if long distance or international it would surely set his mind at rest? The CSA numbers are not unlisted, they're on the CSA website and most people report a reasonable response from the CSA to calls. I am sure a little bit of polite persistence on his part would at the very least confirm whether or not his application was received. Also, no harm in submitting hard copy version of his application per regular mail as a backup, the mailing address is on the CSA website too, on the same page as the telephone numbers under the Contact tab.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Lenarduzzi .... Thats a good English name.

Guest speedmonk42

Has anyone ever asked the CSA how many resumes they get?

I bet it isn't seven.

It is probably a lot more like the TFC try out.

Archived