Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Quarter-Finals - Leg 2 - CF Montreal v Forge - May 22, 2024

Forge go to Ottawa Saturday and Montreal are at home so playing in the morning wouldn't Impact either team much, it would just suck for Forge having built a 2 goal lead, I have no idea how this will affect the teams if we do resume!

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I really dislike the rule of a total replay.   These circumstances are the perfect example of why it is a bullshit rule.  A half has been played and one team has absolutely outplayed the other.  It’s crazy to erase that advantage and hit the reset button.  

Having been reminded about that Vancouver vs TFC game that was abandoned during the second half, that was a confusing scenario. On one hand, it really sucked for Vancouver to have their lead taken away. They have every right to feel hard done by. On the other hand, that game should have been stopped a lot earlier than it was. If I remember correctly the field was unplayable for quite a while, maybe even starting in the first half. Vancouver scored early, then the puddles made it hard for anyone to score. So in a scenario like that where maybe 30 minutes or longer the field was unplayable, that is a disadvantage to the team trying to come back.

Also, it would feel pretty strange (not necessarily wrong though) to have a 30 minute mini game to finish out a match from the night before.

I'm now reminded of a weird ruling in the NHL back in the 80's. The Oilers and Bruins were playing game 4 in the Stanley Cup finals, when the power went out at Boston Gardens. The game ended up having to be abandoned when the game was in the 2nd period. They decided to replay the game as the final game of the series if necessary. The Oilers ended up sweeping the Bruins in 4, so they didn't replay game 4. However, they decided to keep the individual stats from the abandoned game, including 2 assists by Wayne Gretzky, giving him an NHL finals record 13 points and 10 assists in the 4.5 game series.

Its going to be unpopular but honestly I believe that this should have been called off. At some point the rules are the rules and if you take that long to decide they spot actually being the rules...

Sure, Forge would have been hard done by exceptional circumstances but then not too long ago they got a one game shot at the CanChamp without going through the rest of the tournament due to exceptional circumstances. Sometimes the football gods give and sometimes they take away but we need to all play by the same damn rules if any of this is to have meaning.

Just now, phil03 said:

Its going to be unpopular but honestly I believe that this should have been called off. At some point the rules are the rules and if you take that long to decide they spot actually being the rules...

Sure, Forge would have been hard done by exceptional circumstances but then not too long ago they got a one game shot at the CanChamp without going through the rest of the tournament due to exceptional circumstances. Sometimes the football gods give and sometimes they take away but we need to all play by the same damn rules if any of this is to have meaning.

What is the rule though?

This time doesn't seem too excessive for a restsrt

1 minute ago, narduch said:

What is the rule though?

This time doesn't seem too excessive for a restsrt

We were at it for what? An hour and a half? Refs do get leeway but I am simply not buying that letting it go for that long isn't going against the intent of the rule, so to speak, and I'd argue refs are supposed to try to follow that, not just the letter.

4 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Strongly disagree.  Of the two options (resume the game after a lengthy delay, or erase the two goal lead that Forge earned over 45 minutes and r play the whole thing) the latter would be a far less fair outcome. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Strongly disagree.  Of the two options (resume the game after a lengthy delay, or erase the two goal lead that Forge earned over 45 minutes and r play the whole thing) the latter would be a far less fair outcome. 

You are entitled to your opinion but I would argue its not what the rule intended. The refs are supposed to care about the later, not the former.

Like I said, all clubs get to be the beneficiaries and the victims of stuff like that every now and then and Forge got a massive unfair boon not too long ago.

Edited by phil03