Match Thread: April 19, 2023 - Valour v. Rovers

So....

By the way the first half is going, I have to seriously wonder if I bother buying season tickets, because Valour's collapse right now is ridiculous. I talked to someone at the club on Monday and I'm glad I didn't agree at the time. Anyone know if Valour loses would that would make them the first CPL team to lose to a League1 side in the championship?

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

Has Valour ever won a match that was in any way important? Just tired of this shit, and losing to these scrubs was embarrassing.

Calling them "scrubs" is far more embarrassing, be assured.

You Valour fans are passionate and very engaged but a bit over the top, don't you think? You had one trip east, now a long road-trip west a few days later, have not started a game at home yet, and are leading the CPL table for what it's worth. Save the Molotov cocktails for a bit further down the road.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Calling them "scrubs" is far more embarrassing, be assured.

You Valour fans are passionate and very engaged but a bit over the top, don't you think? You had one trip east, now a long road-trip west a few days later, have not started a game at home yet, and are leading the CPL table for what it's worth. Save the Molotov cocktails for a bit further down the road.

Scrubs is unfair, but surely the players ought to be embarrassed. Valour is the only CPL side to lose to a team at this level and now that it's happened I very much doubt it happens again for years. Everyone involved on Valour's end has to be questioning every single decision that allowed this to happen.

7 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Sometimes League 2 teams beat Premier League clubs. It's part of cup play. It was bound to happen. Settle down everyone.

In all Cup play the world over there are upsets, the emotions and the exceptionality of being in knock-out play ensures this.

A famous case in was when Real Madrid lost away 4-0 to Alcorcón when the later was in 4th tier, in 2009. Then in the return match they only won 1-0, and were eliminated.

Then, there are plenty of cases where a much higher team is bombing and have to come back in a storm to save an embarrassing situation. 

Very rarely do these upsets pan out in the form of the lower-tier team winning it all, they are outliers. I can appreciate that Whitecaps chose to change coaches after losing to Cavalry because they had real options to win the Voyageurs Cup, but since it is not on the Valour agenda, realistically, better to turn the page and move on.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Scrubs is unfair, but surely the players ought to be embarrassed. Valour is the only CPL side to lose to a team at this level and now that it's happened I very much doubt it happens again for years. Everyone involved on Valour's end has to be questioning every single decision that allowed this to happen.

You can shake hands with Whitecaps now

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

HFX lost to Vaughn when it was a two-match elimination.

I am sure it will happen more and more, in the right circumstances. TSS had the advantage of playing at home to a decent crowd, being used to the pitch, in a venue that has some history. If other L1 teams can replicate a few conditions like that, where there is fan pressure, for example, I think it'll be common enough. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Very rarely do these upsets pan out in the form of the lower-tier team winning it all, they are outliers. I can appreciate that Whitecaps chose to change coaches after losing to Cavalry because they had real options to win the Voyageurs Cup, but since it is not on the Valour agenda, realistically, better to turn the page and move on.

It was the loss to Pacific that sunk Do Santos. 

He survived being eliminated by Cavalry 2 years earlier. 

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

It was the loss to Pacific that sunk Do Santos. 

He survived being eliminated by Cavalry 2 years earlier. 

Sorry, quite right. Since I was at that Cavalry game with a few regulars on this board I guess it stuck with me.

Amazingly, that was Caps playing at home.

Losing in the pressure of a full stadium with fans up close and noisy in Langford was arguably more understandable, which is why you'd think the teams with the best chances to beat MLS clubs are HFX, Cavalry, Pacific, and maybe, depending on how the stadium ends up, VFC.

It will also start happening more because there will be more L1 teams in the competition. If things go according to plan, 2 years from now there should be L1 teams from Alberta and the Atlantic provinces. Assuming they don't have early round matches against each other, that will make 5 L1 teams with a chance to upset instead of 3 this year.

Edited by Kent

10 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Sometimes League 2 teams beat Premier League clubs. It's part of cup play. It was bound to happen. Settle down everyone.

Sometimes non-league teams do it. 

Lincoln beat Burnley not that long ago.

N'arch lost Luton Town a little before that.  The latter are a good story: in the Championship promotion hunt again after being non-league in 13/14.

9 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Could Vaughn beat  valour ? 

We'll never know what the outcome would have been and Halifax signing so many players from there likely wouldn't have helped them but I don't understand why anyone who watched the York vs Valour game last weekend would have been confident about facing any of the three D3 entrants this week. The standard was very poor compared to Forge vs Cavalry. 

7 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Could Vaughn beat  valour ? 

The L1 teams have typically been a pretty tough out. Forge beat Laval 3-0 this week, and York beat Masters 5-0 in 2021, otherwise it's all been 2 goal differences or less (including a draw for Blainville vs York and a win for Vaughan over HFX, in the 2 leg format in 2019).

20 hours ago, jonovision said:

Has Valour ever won a match that was in any way important? Just tired of this shit, and losing to these scrubs was embarrassing.

If last night's game was important, presumably in 2021 when Valour beat Ottawa in this competition was important too. That seems about it though unfortunately.

Edited by Kent

48 minutes ago, Kent said:

If last night's game was important, presumably in 2021 when Valour beat Ottawa in this competition was important too. That seems about it though unfortunately.

This year was important because Valour was in line to host an MLS team if they just take care of business. Was much less likely in 2021.

Edited by jonovision

58 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This year was important because Valour was in line to host an MLS team if they just take care of business. Was much less likely in 2021.

In 2021 Valour's win got them a game with Forge, with the winner playing the winner of HFX and Montreal.

If Valour beat TSS this year, they still would have to beat the winner of Pacific vs Cavalry before they got a shot at Vancouver (assuming Vancouver takes care of business on the road against York). So both years they needed one more win to meet an MLS team. But it is true that the bracket was set up pretty nicely for Valour, with home games the rest of the way after the first round, and being on the opposite side of 2 MLS teams + Forge.

So TSS hosts Pacific, on the 9th in principle, but they have a League One match home vs another Victoria team, the Highlanders, on the 7th.

So they'll likely alter the schedule either way.

Now that TSS will get a good gate for Pacific they'll make money, as the hosting costs will be far less. And more so if Pacific can catch the last ferry back.

Btw, reports say Valour accepted to spend less on their hotel to help TSS, good for them.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist