Match Thread: April 15, 2023 - Pacific v Vancouver FC

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Yes, there looked to be some (friendly) tension building out there between the two sides and their supporters. Looking forward to building a rivalry.

Agreed.  There was a stiff challenge from Chung on Aparicio that got the crowd riled, and lots of ribbing for Irving.  (Typical Irving outing by the way -- two or three lights out saves, and then a relatively saveable goal which although hit quickly and well was a good yard from the post).  Plus PFC running to the SW corner to shush the travelling support was a good way to get the rivalry going.  (Wasn't nasty in any way from where I sat -- there were lots of grins as they did it)  Vancouver looked stronger than I was expecting for a first official game as a new club, to be honest.  Highlights don't show it, but Hundal scored in the first half on a quick and very direct break that was called back for offside.  Can't confirm whether it was the right call or not from our stand behind the goal, but it was a wakeup call for PFC.

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Highlights don't show it, but Hundal scored in the first half on a quick and very direct break that was called back for offside.  Can't confirm whether it was the right call or not from our stand behind the goal, but it was a wakeup call for PFC.

I was more or less in line and it looked clearly offside 

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Agreed.  There was a stiff challenge from Chung on Aparicio that got the crowd riled, and lots of ribbing for Irving.  (Typical Irving outing by the way -- two or three lights out saves, and then a relatively saveable goal which although hit quickly and well was a good yard from the post).  Plus PFC running to the SW corner to shush the travelling support was a good way to get the rivalry going.  (Wasn't nasty in any way from where I sat -- there were lots of grins as they did it)  Vancouver looked stronger than I was expecting for a first official game as a new club, to be honest.  Highlights don't show it, but Hundal scored in the first half on a quick and very direct break that was called back for offside.  Can't confirm whether it was the right call or not from our stand behind the goal, but it was a wakeup call for PFC.

I was disappointed when Hundal came off. He's one of their high energy players imo and could well be a high impact player as well over the season.

2 minutes ago, nolando said:

I was disappointed when Hundal came off. He's one of their high energy players imo and could well be a high impact player as well over the season.

For me Vancouver were surprisingly organized, particularly in the middle of the park, but they looked a bit short in attack. That may just take time though 

45 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

This was the first football match have given 90 minutes of my full attention since Canada in March (and maybe not even then). And I really enjoyed it. Good quality given the assumed payroll. The level looks pretty damn good in year 5.

Agreed. I've been serenaded to sleep by more than a few MLS matches, by comparison.

Was a fun game to be at. It is a little unfortunate that the weather was so beautiful on Friday night, when the match was originally scheduled to be played, but changed for the weekend.

Aparicio should have received a yellow card for his celebration. Maybe if one of the players got pegged with a beer can, they would learn not to do that again.

4 hours ago, masster said:

Was a fun game to be at. It is a little unfortunate that the weather was so beautiful on Friday night, when the match was originally scheduled to be played, but changed for the weekend.

Aparicio should have received a yellow card for his celebration. Maybe if one of the players got pegged with a beer can, they would learn not to do that again.

What gets me is that Aparicio let his team down with discipline problems last year and Merriman has not had that talk with him yet. And he gets re-signed.

I am also in the "toss something at the guy" current of thought.

I absolutely loved what Aparicio did to celebrate. If you're going to give it, you have to be willing to take it.  I was rooting for VFC so it sucked, but if we're being honest I expect most of us would have done the same.  

Edited by RJB

13 hours ago, RJB said:

I absolutely loved what Aparicio did to celebrate. If you're going to give it, you have to be willing to take it.  I was rooting for VFC so it sucked, but if we're being honest I expect most of us would have done the same.  

You may have loved what he did, but it is clearly a yellow card offense in the laws of the game. Under Law 12, celebration of a goal.

Plus I don't really understand the bolded part of your post. I stood with the VFC supporters the entire first half and they weren't giving any stick to the Pacific players. They were just supporting their team. Not sure if something changed in the second.

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am also in the "toss something at the guy" current of thought.

I was watching the game on tv and it looked to me like someone did throw something at the Pacific players during the celebration and one of them caught it mid-air.

In any event, I'm not in favour of throwing any object at any player.

1 hour ago, Goal_Kick said:

I was watching the game on tv and it looked to me like someone did throw something at the Pacific players during the celebration and one of them caught it mid-air.

In any event, I'm not in favour of throwing any object at any player.

Then don't go right into the opposing fans' faces and tell them to shut up. Go celebrate with your own fans, who are paying your salary and are happy for you, invested in your success.

The finger to the lips gesture in some cultures, like Spain, is extremely provocative and is not taken lightly, Aparicio knows this, since he played here. 

The point is, this guy had serious discipline problems last year, and first match back, at it again.

9 hours ago, masster said:

You may have loved what he did, but it is clearly a yellow card offense in the laws of the game. Under Law 12, celebration of a goal.

Plus I don't really understand the bolded part of your post. I stood with the VFC supporters the entire first half and they weren't giving any stick to the Pacific players. They were just supporting their team. Not sure if something changed in the second.

That's fair. I'm just thinking of my own experiences at games where supporters inevitably go after the other team. I wasn't meant more of the giving a hard time as opposed to anything specific.