Premier League Match Thread: Semi-Final Leg 2 - October 23, 2022 - Forge v Cavalry

narduch

It's a very nice day in The Hammer and I am looking forward to this match, I would like to think the home field favours Forge but on numerous occasions this season teams have come into THF and laid down the blueprint on how to win here! Obviously the strikers are going to have to do better, the first 15 minutes at Spruce Meadows were very good for Forge but the match evened out and I think Bobby came away pleased with the away draw, these matches are always spicy!

2 hours ago, gator said:

It's a very nice day in The Hammer and I am looking forward to this match, I would like to think the home field favours Forge but on numerous occasions this season teams have come into THF and laid down the blueprint on how to win here! Obviously the strikers are going to have to do better, the first 15 minutes at Spruce Meadows were very good for Forge but the match evened out and I think Bobby came away pleased with the away draw, these matches are always spicy!

Good to hear about the weather. Just seen my family's pictures of  the winter wonderland that is southern Alberta currently.

Terry Dunfield, that is a red card. It is a boot in the face with the ball nowhere near.

There was a similar one that was yellow against Bustos in the other match. He, equally, did not see the rival player, but his leg was into the gut. Yellow.

That was a red. Unfortunately, Bekker is a ball talent and a scoring threat but also has his aggressive moments.

I was thinking that the ref had been letting things go a bit, and rightly so, as in a semi final you have to give them a bit of leeway. He let a few marginal yellows go in the first minutes, which I like: don't condition the entire match. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Terry Dunfield, that is a red card. It is a boot in the face with the ball nowhere near.

There was a similar one that was yellow against Bustos in the other match. He, equally, did not see the rival player, but his leg was into the gut. Yellow.

That was a red. Unfortunately, Bekker is a ball talent and a scoring threat but also has his aggressive moments.

I was thinking that the ref had been letting things go a bit, and rightly so, as in a semi final you have to give them a bit of leeway. He let a few marginal yellows go in the first minutes, which I like: don't condition the entire match. 

The ball was very near. Have a look at the replay

I also agree with that yellow on Norman. He's been on the limit and not playing with his head since his deserved yellow. 

Yes, to me it looked like the other player was charging him and seemed to go in with two feet. But he didn't actually hit him, so you can't preempt the actual foul however much it looks like it will be nasty--which it wasn't.

I agree with the calls, but it is clear the ref tried to intelligently manage a game and ended up failiing pretty badly, compensating to cover his own lack of control. Too bad.

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

The ball was very near. Have a look at the replay

The boot was not too near the ball, it went straight into a face. You can't put your foot up like that, and if he did not see where he was going with it, that is not an excuse. 

I actually like the intensity of the match, you could see them all getting heated. It's fun. But Norman, your team was on its backfoot and you went a player up, it was a gift: but you showed you don't have a head for pro football by not understanding the big picture. I remember Norman in MLS, a decent prospect, but really, this is what confirms why certain players cannot make that step up to a higher level.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The boot was not too near the ball, it went straight into a face. You can't put your foot up like that, and if he did not see where he was going with it, that is not an excuse. 

I actually like the intensity of the match, you could see them all getting heated. It's fun. But Norman, your team was on its backfoot and you went a player up, it was a gift: but you showed you don't have a head for pro football by not understanding the big picture. I remember Norman in MLS, a decent prospect, but really, this is what confirms why certain players cannot make that step up to a higher level.

You said boot to the face was nowhere near the ball. 

The boot and head were both near the ball(within a couple inches if not less) If you think it was a deserved red thats fair, but to say the ball was nowhere near is not accurate. 

Edited by king1010

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

You said boot to the face with nowhere near the ball. 

The boot and head were both near the ball. If you think it was a deserved red thats fair, but to say the ball was nowhere near is not accurate. 

Fair enough, rewatched. He headed it and just after it leaves his head the boot is there. So he is going for the ball, I accept that. 

Still think it is a red, Norman's two yellows were probably deserved too (though the play acting and rolling around with his face covered by Hojabrpour should have been caught by the linesman). Maybe the ref could have consulted him as he had a better view.

Still, we're moving on.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 minutes ago, king1010 said:

You said boot to the face was nowhere near the ball. 

The boot and head were both near the ball(within a couple inches if not less) If you think it was a deserved red thats fair, but to say the ball was nowhere near is not accurate. 

I'm not watching the game, so will wait for the highlights to make a full assessment, but, as a referee, if your foot makes contact with a standing player's head, I'm usually inclined to go for a red straight away.