MLS Match Updates and Talk 2022

Big_M

MLS writer Sam Jones is excited about the final:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/your-monday-kickoff-lafc-and-philadelphia-prove-their-pedigree

The best MLS Cup ever

A lot of people love Cinderella runs, but there’s a large part of me that just wants to see the two best teams go head-to-head with stakes on the line. We’re getting that in this MLS Cup matchup in a way we technically haven’t since 2003. This is the first time both No. 1 seeds will meet for the title and, frankly, the league has come a long, long way since 2003.

But even in more recent years, I’m not sure how often we can say the first seed in each conference came into the playoffs as one of the two best teams in the league. This season though, LAFC and Philly were clearly the two best teams in the league. Not only that, but there are legitimate arguments for their status among the best MLS teams of all time.

We’ve got two teams who might be among the top-10 best teams ever in the league playing outstanding soccer at the right time with styles that contrast each other in fascinating ways. We’ve got two teams who have earned more points than any other team since 2018. This is a heavyweight title fight between an undefeated champ and an undefeated challenger. I’ll take that over Cinderella every time.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

1-0 at the break for home side lafc..man crepeau is full of blunders..fortunate philly hasnt scored

Looked poor flapping at that one Wagner second phase cross in the first half.

Pretty good match to watch, with plenty of suspect set play marking adding to the excitement 

14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

You don't come across too many Chargers fans outside of southern California.

These days you don't come across many Chargers fans in southern California, or at least the Los Angeles part of it if the crowds at Charger "home" games (where the opposing team usually has more fans in the stands) are anything to go by. They should never have left San Diego IMO

Speaking of which (to get this loosely on point), I was interested to hear on the MLS Cup final broadcast that San Diego is one of the possible next expansion cities. I had not heard that before. I seem to recall that the Sockers had a decent run there, with just the Padres now as a pro sports team an MLS team might to very well there.

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I seem to recall that the Sockers had a decent run there, with just the Padres now as a pro sports team an MLS team might to very well there.

Don't forget the dirt baseball infield at Jack Murphy Stadium!

They had that big Bundesliga keeper, Gross, who was intimidating in the old NASL shootout*.

*If MLS wants to have some nostalgia for their midseason all star match, they should bring that back.