MLS Match Updates and Talk 2022

Big_M

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is basically how Montreal plays if you've followed them all season. 

The difference is they didn't complete their chances and their opponent is pretty good too

Yup. NYC with the perfect road game. Their keeper stood on his head in the first half and they had some luck with the post. That's football 

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unfortunately Pantemis is showing a good deal of inexperience. He wasn’t needed or even tested last week, which is in retrospect a shame. 

I think it was Bearcat who mentioned that the goalkeepers of the Canadian teams would prevent them from either making the playoffs or not going far in them, and that is proving to be accurate 

Terrible keeping decisions on the first and third goals.  

I look at the daisy chain of culpability on goals against but on the third, it was the kind decision that just guts teams, and it did here.  Heck, if that had been just the 0-2 goal, it still would have taken the oxygen out of the stadium.  

NYCFC keeper made huge saves in the key moments, a header hits the wrong side of the post, didn't see enough discussion of the non-call on Mihailović, but in the end poor keeping and bad decision making and marking on the goals against and then they are out.  C'est la vie!  As a neutral and Cancon supporter, I am very disappointed but I think they have a TD and coaching team to to find replacements for those on the move next season.

Johnson looked great!

24 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Terrible keeping decisions on the first and third goals.  

I look at the daisy chain of culpability on goals against but on the third, it was the kind decision that just guts teams, and it did here.  Heck, if that had been just the 0-2 goal, it still would have taken the oxygen out of the stadium.  

I was surprised that few have mentioned his culpability on that first goal. Or at least, few that I've seen.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I was surprised that few have mentioned his culpability on that first goal. Or at least, few that I've seen.

People see what they want to see.  

I didn't see a need for him to take himself out of position like that.  If it was TFC's Sonny Bono making that play, you could imagine what the reaction would have been.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:02 PM, Goal_Kick said:

But the US TV stations would also be concerned about ratings.  And wouldn't those ratings be higher on a Saturday rather than a Sunday?

FOX/FS1 & ESPN/ABC Saturday windows are tight this time of the year because of US college football. 

ABC had 4 games today including a marquee match up on Saturday evening. FOX also has the World Series Game 2 showing tonight.

So, the best case scenario was to squeeze in 1 match on ESPN2/FS1 in the afternoon. But for 2 matches, it has to be Sunday as ESPN/ABC & FS1 have no NFL games. 

The MLS Cup is on next Saturday because FOX won't push NFL games to FS1 while it can do that for a secondary college game on Saturday to show MLS.