Chants/Ideas

QBCS

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Just to thread hijack for a second, I was watching some YouTube song reactions and the reactors did one to Men at Work's Down Under.  Now the American reactors said that Australians consider it a pseudo national anthem, if that is true I know not.

But it got me to thinking what is that song in Canada? 

Singing "Summer of '69" in the Vees section in Vancouver felt spontaneous and there was tons of buy-in as it seemed like virtually everyone knew the first part of the lyrics. 

6 minutes ago, ted said:

Singing "Summer of '69" in the Vees section in Vancouver felt spontaneous and there was tons of buy-in as it seemed like virtually everyone knew the first part of the lyrics. 

I know a little bit about music history before 1990 but in all honesty I don't know the lyrics off the top of my head.  Just posting the below for something to do, no reason, people should just see it if they already haven't.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think I understand you a lot better now that I know you have terrible taste in music. 

Well at least you're not swearing and losing your (edit poop) or blaming me for leaving the forum like you usually do, that's a start.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Just to thread hijack for a second, I was watching some YouTube song reactions and the reactors did one to Men at Work's Down Under.  Now the American reactors said that Australians consider it a pseudo national anthem, if that is true I know not.

But it got me to thinking what is that song in Canada?  I thought of Rush, The Guess Who, Neil, Joni, Stan, The Hip and I couldn't really put my finger on a universal song that covers it all.  Later that night, serendipitously a reactor reacted to Gord's Canadian Railroad Trilogy which I think is the answer but probably too complicated to be a help here.

One that would be easy and that most people know would a reworking of The Hockey Song  "The Good Ol' Soccer Game" but that goes back to my rant about copying and not being original.  Problem is unlike this song most songs aren't conducive enough to being universally known and able to be sung.  Ya gotta admit it though, most people know and like it, here's the legend on Conan's show.

Not exactly true. It's, obviously, a very popular song here in Australia. However, the closest thing to an Unofficial National Anthem (other than Waltzing Matilda, which actually is the unofficial national anthem), guaranteed to get every Aussie onto the dance floor belting out the lyrics at the top of their lungs, wherever in the world they might be, is John Farnham's You're the Voice.

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

A bit of a sidebar, but I can pinpoint the exact moment I went from a soccer hater to a soccer fan. Nov 16, 2005 - I was in a bar on Fraser Island, Australia. Australia beat Uruguay in the interconfederation playoff to qualify for the world cup for the first time since 1974. The song that played immediately after winning in that bar was Men at Work's Down Under. Pseudo national anthem I think is a pretty apt description. 

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

Not exactly true. It's, obviously, a very popular song here in Australia. However, the closest thing to an Unofficial National Anthem (other than Waltzing Matilda, which actually is the unofficial national anthem), guaranteed to get every Aussie onto the dance floor belting out the lyrics at the top of their lungs, wherever in the world they might be, is John Farnham's You're the Voice.

I wouldn't think Down Under would be the song for the reason that foreigners think it is, like a stereotype.  It would be like Blame Canada which the Spanish guy at Fox Sports likes to say after we score. Just my opinion but I thought it was bogus Blame Canada got an Academy Award nom.  My feeling was Uncle Fucka was the song that should have been nominated but wasn't (for obvious reasons)

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Posted nearly simultaneously with you. You're actually living in Melbourne (presumably), so you're probably right in the 'unofficial anthem precedence'.

I can't really think what Canada's might be, other than (the unfortunately non-applicable) 'The Good Ol' Hockey Game'.

9 hours ago, Califax said:

Alternative: (yankee doodle)

You won't win here anymore 

I hope you're understanding

Shove your Pepi up your ass

Cause we've got Taj Buchanon

lala lala la la la

lala lala la la

(etc.)

😃

Personally I really like this and am surprised it hasn't gotten more likes. Its clever, cheeky and simple.

One recommendation is maybe start with Capo: Hey Yankees (repeated by V's)  

And end by repeating "Shove your Pepi up your ass, Cause we've got Taj Buchanon!"

I personally would like to see Forge's "Mighty Mighty Forge" song be added, only change Forge to North, at least for the Hamilton game.

"We are the North, the Mighty Mighty North
We just don't think you understand.
We're gonna drink some beer
and make the cup this year
Cuz we are the mighty mighty north."

You start slow, speed up for two verses, then slow back down for one, then speed up for two.

That also said, an 1812 chant altered so instead of the "Built the house on Lakeshore" chant I think would be great. Something like.

We'll start a War in 1812 you said, you said
You came up north and got beat by the Reds, the Reds

We stopped you outside Hamilton then
We beat your ass, we'll do it again
and the Reds go marching onto victory

There was one we did as we marched into the stadium for the US Nation's League match, I don't remember many of the lyrics but it ended with "We'll burn the fucking White House to the ground", soccer moms were covering their children's prescious ears, it was kind of funny because I think the kids wanted to sing along! That one will go over well in The Hammer, Saskatoon Jeff ( @Tuscan ) knows it!