New national women's soccer league

shermanator

...the fun and games will start when the CWNT players broach the subject of money generated by the CWNT going to propping up this league rather than CSB even though there is a legal agreement already in place handing that over to the CanPL owners potentially up until 2038. That is likely to reach a crescendo in the run up to next year's Women's World Cup. CanPL now needs to put up or shut up where a parallel women's pro league is concerned.

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...the fun and games will start when the CWNT players broach the subject of money generated by the CWNT going to propping up this league rather than CSB even though there is a legal agreement already in place handing that over to the CanPL owners potentially up until 2038. That is likely to reach a crescendo in the run up to next year's Women's World Cup. CanPL now needs to put up or shut up where a parallel women's pro league is concerned.

It's pretty obvious to me as to why this league seems to be trying to operate separately from the CSA and CSB.  That is to keep sponsorship money separate.  CIBC is a CSA (CSB) sponsor, but also looks to be a main sponsor of this league.  I would think if CSA/CSB wanted to play hard ball, they could nip that in the bud? 

Maybe, just maybe, all parties are working together for the greater good of both the women's and men's game?  Speculation on my part, but a glass half full approach rather than Ozzie's usual half empty take.  

Let's just ignore all the information that is very much in the public domain about both the CMNT and CWNT rosters being upset about how the CSB deal was structured then.

Men’s, women’s national teams call for investigation into Canada Soccer’s governance

Sportsnet Staff July 13, 2022, 5:15 PM

The Canadian men’s and women’s national team players are calling on Sports Canada to investigate “Canada Soccer’s governance practices” and an agreement Canada Soccer made with a private company known as Canada Soccer Business (CSB)...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-team-womens-soccer-league-canada-2025-1.6676361

The league already has two teams secured in Western Canada and is now looking for six more in the next six months. 

"We've been doing a lot of preliminary calls with ownership groups where we had connections," Matheson said. "John Pugh … [and] I have connections from the Ottawa Fury days and he's aware of the plans." 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Let's just ignore all the information that is very much in the public domain about both the CMNT and CWNT rosters being upset about how the CSB deal was structured then.

Men’s, women’s national teams call for investigation into Canada Soccer’s governance

Sportsnet Staff July 13, 2022, 5:15 PM

The Canadian men’s and women’s national team players are calling on Sports Canada to investigate “Canada Soccer’s governance practices” and an agreement Canada Soccer made with a private company known as Canada Soccer Business (CSB)...

Oh, there is no question that they are upset.  After all, its taken potential money out of their pockets (CSA playing hardball on WC prize money) in order to properly develop the majority of Canadian players (I'm talking developing the young players) and provide the others not quite good enough to earn a living while they try and reach their goals.

Now, do I think that the money should also be used to develop a league for women, for sure.  Hopefully they can figure out how to get that done.  Seems to me, sharing the sponsorship money of CIBC may be a start. 

I'm a bit worried about how little we know about the business side of it. The CPL has a clear mechanism and are very reliant on CSB to get them the extra streams of revenues. For the women's league, we don't know how this works yet...

Will all of this (marketing) be done "in house"? So you need staff (the more experienced - the pricier it gets) or will they contract it out to a third party? Both have pros an cons

What's the plan for infrastructure?
Sixfives seems to be willing to handle that side of the business for the league going forward  https://sixfivestadiums.com/

OR
they plan to be just tenants at existing venues?

Media deal
MediaPro or cable TV? Are they willing to take less money to get on cable or sell the rights to the highest bidder?

I kind of agree with Rollins here - The league trying to fly solo without the other actors in this country would be a mistake. Independently of their feelings about CPL/CSB - it would be a strategic mistake to not partner with them

Both leagues (men/women) need to succeed and for that, they have to work together and not run each other completely separately and compete against one another (intentionally or unintentionally)

I want to apologize in advance about what I'm about to say as it might offend some people - I just want to make clear how much I support women's soccer and the league - I want it to succeed. I just feel some people in that project "seem" to have a "chip on their shoulders" whenever the men's get too much attention.

I mean, CanMNT scores a goal, most important moment in men's history--> but what about the women?

And you see those tweet that come across passive aggressive at times and the taking jabs at CPL/CSB who took too long and I'm like, I must have missed the past 2 years of pandemic that crippled the finances of so many leagues around the world - I mean Ligue 1 literally shutdown.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the feelings and agree with them for the most part. I just hope that feelings are out of the way when it comes to "planning and running" this league.

Everyone needs help and I can't shake the vibe that there are some people who wants to also make a point. Do you want to succeed or do you want to be "right"?

We need EVERYONE to row TOGETHER in the same direction.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong (I hope I'm mistaken about most of it) and we get there.

Personally, CPL doesn't have to control it or run it but that league being under CSB would further solidify it's odds of succeeding. I hope this hasn't been thrown out.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong or you disagree - in advance, I mean no disrespect nor is it my intent 

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Now, do I think that the money should also be used to develop a league for women, for sure.  Hopefully they can figure out how to get that done.  Seems to me, sharing the sponsorship money of CIBC may be a start. 

The league would have to fall under CSB in my opinion, otherwise, you're asking them to "give away" their revenues which doesn't make much business sense and I doubt they would. That's why I'd prefer a partnership with them, just like Duane is saying

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-team-womens-soccer-league-canada-2025-1.6676361

The league already has two teams secured in Western Canada and is now looking for six more in the next six months. 

"We've been doing a lot of preliminary calls with ownership groups where we had connections," Matheson said. "John Pugh … [and] I have connections from the Ottawa Fury days and he's aware of the plans." 

Oh, John Pugh is involved. The Fury returns?

Edited by Aird25

aiming for attendance of 500-1000 in the first year and wanting similar salaries to nwsl which will be around 40k in 2025..I want this to work but it doesnt add up..in other words you are looking for owners who are trying to lose 10M in the first year..nwsl attendance of lowest attended team this year was around 4300..gotta aim for higher attendance

this was a rushed outing by matheson..sit down, study more and contact more people, get things right and then come back

Sponsorship would help some of that, but as with any start up, the financials are grim.  Just common sense says they prob would have similar salaries to the CPL at a best case scenario which I dont think is up to 40k average yet.  But the other big thing is the TV deal.  If you listen to the vulture and this is a big thumb in the eye to CPL/CSB, then it prob wont be Onesoccer/Mediapro.  

On 12/6/2022 at 3:04 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Michael Singh tweeted that MLSE was/is mainly interested in running a NWSL franchise. For what it's worth (and it might not be worth anything), the CSA mentioned earlier this year when they hired Breagha Carr-Harris as the new head of women's professional soccer that the approach would be two-fold - a Canadian domestic league and teams in the NWSL. They may have been thinking the women's league would be at a lower level of play & attendance that what Matheson & Sinclair have in mind.

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-soccer-hires-former-mlse-executive-as-head-of-women-s-professional-soccer-1.1796493

This is interesting because it could mean the CSA will not give accreditation to a NWSL team in Canada if it were to rival the interests of a new women's league. So that instead of that strategy, you phase it out in favour of a new one. 

So MLSE would refuse to have a women's team in an all-Canada league, at a much lower cost, while the Whitecaps are a founding partner? Doesn't look so good for them.

3 hours ago, Nick P said:

A Champions League equivalent with leagues like Liga MX, the NWSL and now in Canada? Sign me UP

I agree. 

Let‘a not forget that there will be CWNT players on each team.   
Up until very recently the women’s team was out drawing the men’s team.  They have a strong fan base.  
This won’t be like the CPL with tier 4/5 players only diehards have heard of.  
This will be the top league in the country and will have recognizable stars on the pitch and in the community who are just off what we all hope is a very successful World Cup.  

Also Soccer like basketball has the advantage of not wearing helmets/hats so fans can connect with the players better making it important to have big name recognizable players. 

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is interesting because it could mean the CSA will not give accreditation to a NWSL team in Canada if it were to rival the interests of a new women's league. So that instead of that strategy, you phase it out in favour of a new one. 

So MLSE would refuse to have a women's team in an all-Canada league, at a much lower cost, while the Whitecaps are a founding partner? Doesn't look so good for them.

Speaking of the CSA, they have been ominously silent about this since Matheson & Sinclair's announcement. No tweets or retweets of any kind about the new league (although they did post a video of Crepeau on a treadmill today, so they are not totally incommunicado at the moment). I find the silence both deafening and awkward.

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

aiming for attendance of 500-1000 in the first year and wanting similar salaries to nwsl which will be around 40k in 2025..I want this to work but it doesnt add up..in other words you are looking for owners who are trying to lose 10M in the first year..nwsl attendance of lowest attended team this year was around 4300..gotta aim for higher attendance

this was a rushed outing by matheson..sit down, study more and contact more people, get things right and then come back

I hadn't seen that before...I guess that takes care of the issue of a lack of 8000 seat stadiums across the country by the time 2025 comes around since you could fit 500-1000 fans probably around any number of decent pitches, but if that is what they are aiming for, you are right in that something is not adding up.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Speaking of the CSA, they have been ominously silent about this since Matheson & Sinclair's announcement. No tweets or retweets of any kind about the new league (although they did post a video of Crepeau on a treadmill today, so they are not totally incommunicado at the moment). I find the silence both deafening and awkward.

I listened to the Onesoccer interview and Matheson wasn't very convincing on the business side. I get the vision and everything but it increasingly looking like an announcement with huge personalities too big to ignore.

Consider the timing right after the men exit the world cup. The medias are all on it, the name Sinclair is huge so sponsors follow. Matheson said as much that this was an announcement hoping that corporate money follows.

The CSA is said to be supportive but talks sounds very preliminary. Understandingly since CSB is bagging so much cash from the marketing rights and said they'd launch a league. Optically, you want to show something for giving away the bank to CSB. Them launching a league is a win for all and/or a "saving face" scenario for the CSA at least. I'd hate to be in their shoes.

It's clearly a premature announcement for me and it forces CSB to back off for now as they would be seen as the bad guys for doing anything that would be seen as interfering. 

I fully support a women's league but I'm not a fan at how it "seems" to be handled. I hope I'm wrong but 2025 sounds very optimistic. 

Just my opinion

Edited by Ansem