Canada vs Czech Republic - Friday June 11 - Cartagena, Spain - 11am Eastern / 8am Pacific

Canada vs The Czech Republic
Friday, June 11th 2021

Cartagonova Stadium, Cartagena, Spain (home of 2. Liga team FC Cartagena)
11am Eastern / 8am Pacific (5pm local)

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-plans-pre-olympic-international-matches-against-czech-republic-and-brazil/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Canada vs Czechia - Friday June 11 - Cartagena, Spain - 11am Eastern / 8am Pacific
  • Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Canada vs Czech Republic - Friday June 11 - Cartagena, Spain - 11am Eastern / 8am Pacific
5 minutes ago, narduch said:

I thought they changed their name to Czechia?

The official name is the Czech Republic. Some prefer to use Czechia, even though it sounds terrible.  It is a matter of choice.  The majority of people in the Czech Republic who understand and speak english prefer to use the Czech Republic. The CSA used the Czech Republic and that is good enough for me.

Czechia sounds like a rebranded NHL/MLS/MLB franchise.   

Edited by Buchta

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If ever we play Slovakia, I'll be sure to call them The Slovak Republic instead ;)

It is not really the same.  It comes down to grammar with regards to nouns and adjectives.  I could get into it but it is not important on a soccer forum. ;)

The use of 'the Czech Republic' is unique in Europe for the above reason.

Edited by Buchta

The coach of the Czech team said that they are happy to play Canada, one of the top women's teams in the world.  It will be a great match for them where they will gain a lot of experience from.  He went on to say that five (or so) players who have been playing as of late will be unavailable vs Canada because of injury.

Nominace žen na přípravná utkání s Kanadou a Polskem | Ženy | FOTBAL.CZ

4 hours ago, Buchta said:

The coach of the Czech team said that they are happy to play Canada, one of the top women's teams in the world.  It will be a great match for them where they will gain a lot of experience from.  He went on to say that five (or so) players who have been playing as of late will be unavailable vs Canada because of injury.

Nominace žen na přípravná utkání s Kanadou a Polskem | Ženy | FOTBAL.CZ

Interesting that they post the squad list on a separate page:

https://zeny.fotbal.cz/nominace/nominace/557

And like some FA's in Latin America, they even post the Team Hotel :D

• 2 weeks later...

I missed virtually all of the game. We came really close to scoring on that centering pass that Rose put into the side netting. The other player that had a chance at it before it got to Rose looked like she should have been able to make it to the ball and tap it in.

For those that saw the whole game, were we the better team at least? Goal scoring is a bit of a concern.

I watched the whole match and I echo others concern about lack of goal scoring, the commentator said near the end we should be up 5 or 6 nil, possibly with very clinical finishing but I think that was unrealistic! Some times it is hard to take anything away from friendlies and I think that is my observation from today, let's see what happens against much stiffer competition in the next match!

48 minutes ago, Kent said:

I missed virtually all of the game. We came really close to scoring on that centering pass that Rose put into the side netting. The other player that had a chance at it before it got to Rose looked like she should have been able to make it to the ball and tap it in.

For those that saw the whole game, were we the better team at least? Goal scoring is a bit of a concern.

We were definitely the better team.  The Czechs barely got a look at our goal.   We dominated possession, but like mentioned previously it was our finishing that just was not there.  It was Huitema that should of had the tap in. She also had a few chances heading the ball that were off target.  Buchanan headed the ball right at the keeper off a corner.  We passed okay, but were overall just sloppy and not clinical.