Former CanPL Players

Guess a Kamloops team probably needs some Vancouver area players on board to be competive. The problem FC Tigers have is that there is still a segment of Canadian soccer officialdom that will not accept having a club around that has strong ethnic ties despite multiculturalism having been official state policy for over 40 years now regardless of whether the Liberals or Conservatives are in power. The whole League One concept provides a way for said officialdom to act as gate keepers on that rather than simply allowing promotion and relegation to sort it out.

1 minute ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

https://northerntribune.ca/botafogo-eduardo-jesus/  If you compare in general where former CPL players ended up after year 1 of CPL and year 4 of CPL, the level is higher (as should be expected) but shows the progress CPL has made in the level of play.

Former club of Canadian legend Tony Menezes

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

https://northerntribune.ca/botafogo-eduardo-jesus/  If you compare in general where former CPL players ended up after year 1 of CPL and year 4 of CPL, the level is higher (as should be expected) but shows the progress CPL has made in the level of play.

Emilio Estevez wound up with ADO Den Haag in the Dutch Eredivisie and Tristan Borges was signed by a club in the Belgian top tier after the first season so not sure how accurate that is. The tall Swedish striker Y9 had in year one wound up in the Swedish top tier where imports were concerned which I was genuinely astounded by.

Exceptions to the rule can always be found ( I did say in general) But if you look at the players who left the league in or after the season 2019 and 2022.  e.g. Loturi, Pepple, Akio, etc. Estevez was more of a "nepotism" signing and Borges never played in the top tier of Belgium, Adeji went from York to Tier 3 in Sweden and after a short spell in Tier one is now in Tier 2, which is with the exception of a few top teams would be at the level of CPL 

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

In terms of Eduardo, he's going to Botafogo B (the U23). They're playing their B team (U23) in the state league where they play a bunch of lower tier teams, so it's not the main Brazilian league. Not trying to sound pessimistic but it's similar to the Kratt loan, where it sounds amazing hearing the team they're going to Bremen/Botafogo, but it's actually a lower team. Still gives the opportunity to impress the A side though.

https://www.fogaonet.com/noticias-do-botafogo/botafogo-divulga-time-b-reapresentou-carioca-klaus-jacob-montes-diego-goncalves-reforcos/

https://www.sambafoot.com/br/noticias/botafogo-anuncia-duas-contratacoes-para-o-time-b-luis-phelipe-e-eduardo-jesus

On 1/6/2023 at 11:04 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Exceptions to the rule can always be found ( I did say in general) But if you look at the players who left the league in or after the season 2019 and 2022.  e.g. Loturi, Pepple, Akio, etc....

Joel Waterman made it to Qatar after moving to CF Montreal after the 2019 CanPL season, so not convinced there has been a major upgrade over the last four years, because I'd be surprised if any of the most recent transfers make it onto the 2026 CMNT roster.

The soccer in CanPL (with the arguable exception of the Valour in some games in 2019) was at a reasonably high standard from the get go but we're talking 5th level in England or stronger 2nd level clubs in Scotland with that so Loturi, Pepple and Akio have basically just moved slightly upwards in playing standards. None of those three are doing that great at the moment by all accounts.

Think some of the transfers to Europe we are seeing this off-season such as Zator and Bustos would have happened sooner if there had been no COVID pandemic and are the sort of transfers that would probably have been happening for players like that previously anyway but by way of smaller Scandinavian clubs as the stepping stone if CanPL hadn't launched.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Thanks so much for that. That was a very smart purchase, Castellón has a big upside. I remember when they were in top flight, in the 90s. In fact Villareal is in the province of Castellón, and they border each other; Villareal basically captured the football passion of the area. But Castellón is much larger and really should be rivalling them.

They have a decent sized stadium, a good fan base, which supported them well even in lower divisions; they also have that nice black and white strip.

I have some doubts about going into the Spanish market with an FO all anglo, and not Spanish speaking. It is very naive and a formula for making errors. So adding Soria is a good move. 

The team was leading their division of 1RFEF, top of third tier and direct promotion, but they've lost 2 in a row, gone 5 without a win, and are now 2nd. Still, a very good candidate for promotion to 2nd division.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks so much for that. That was a very smart purchase, Castellón has a big upside. I remember when they were in top flight, in the 90s. In fact Villareal is in the province of Castellón, and they border each other; Villareal basically captured the football passion of the area. But Castellón is much larger and really should be rivalling them.

They have a decent sized stadium, a good fan base, which supported them well even in lower divisions; they also have that nice black and white strip.

I have some doubts about going into the Spanish market with an FO all anglo, and not Spanish speaking. It is very naive and a formula for making errors. So adding Soria is a good move. 

The team was leading their division of 1RFEF, top of third tier and direct promotion, but they've lost 2 in a row, gone 5 without a win, and are now 2nd. Still, a very good candidate for promotion to 2nd division.

Bold move bringing Rishi Sunak into the football department.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is he really involved, or was it just that he'd vacationed down there when younger?

It was just a joke based on the physical resemblance between the guy pictured in the post above and the current British PM. I guess it wasn't a very good joke.

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It was just a joke based on the physical resemblance between the guy pictured in the post above and the current British PM. I guess it wasn't a very good joke.

No but actually, I'm not joking, Sunak vacationed in Castellón for years, I think in the home of a friend, in Alcossebre, which is in the province, a lower key spot on the coast. So as crazy as your joke may have been, it would have been logical for him to get in as a partner with the club.

Think he's a Saints fan as he's from Southhampton.