Canadians abroad: August 23 - 29, 2019

jordan

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

No Boakai in the 18 for FC Inter today (#CPL).  Godinho (Zwickau) and Adekugbe (Valaarenga) start for their respective teams.  Hainault on the bench for Kaiserslautern (vs. Zwickau).

Why do I get the feeling that Boakai would struggle in the CPL at this point. Maybe he could still be a reclamation project.

13 hours ago, VinceA said:

Why do I get the feeling that Boakai would struggle in the CPL at this point. Maybe he could still be a reclamation project.

He did quite well last season in the Finnish second. His leap to one of the topteams in D1 was obviously too big. I'm surprised he didn't get himself a loan deal halfway through the season. His agent probably isn't all to good (as indicated before). Another season lost. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

He did quite well last season in the Finnish second. His leap to one of the topteams in D1 was obviously too big. I'm surprised he didn't get himself a loan deal halfway through the season. His agent probably isn't all to good (as indicated before). Another season lost. 

He should move back to FCE. He is the same age as Bustos. He still has many years ahead of him. No shame in coming back.

20 hours ago, Ivan said:

No Boakai in the 18 for FC Inter today (#CPL).  Godinho (Zwickau) and Adekugbe (Valaarenga) start for their respective teams.  Hainault on the bench for Kaiserslautern (vs. Zwickau).

Godinho went 90, whereas Hainault came on in the 92nd. It was quite the match: 3-5 for 1. FCK after Zwickau had come back from 0-3 to 3-4 in the 87th. 

On Saturday, Froese played 20 mins plus Injury Time for Saarbrücken, as they beat Astoria Walldorf (great name!) 3-1.

1. Fc Saarbrücken haven't dropped a single point and will play again tonight. 

On Friday (same round) in West, Boakye started and played 73 minutes for Köln II, winning 0-1 at Wuppertaler SV. 

16 hours ago, VinceA said:

The league is loaded with attacking mids and even some of the bigger/established names like Bustos and Bekker haven’t torn it up.

Would be interesting to see him back as he’s definitely talented enough but he hasn’t excelled at a level that would make me think he was a shoo in to be a good player. 

41 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The league is loaded with attacking mids and even some of the bigger/established names like Bustos and Bekker haven’t torn it up.

Would be interesting to see him back as he’s definitely talented enough but he hasn’t excelled at a level that would make me think he was a shoo in to be a good player. 

I guess neither of those guys have tore it up statistically (although Bekker is high up on the assists chart), but I would argue both have been influential.

Particularly Bekker. He just has that extra bit of quality that makes Forge tick. I have seen less of Valour recently, but from all the highlights Bustos seems omnipresent. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I guess neither of those guys have tore it up statistically (although Bekker is high up on the assists chart), but I would argue both have been influential.

Particularly Bekker. He just has that extra bit of quality that makes Forge tick. I have seen less of Valour recently, but from all the highlights Bustos seems omnipresent. 

I agree, Bekker has been solid but the assumption was that, as a USL best XI player, he would tear the league up.  He’s probably still a CPL 2nd or 3rd team selection. 

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Completely agree

30 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

and Borjan's team goes up 1-0 , 3-2 on aggregate with 2 away goals.

Only half watching, there is another game on.  But not the most beautiful of beautiful games.  Red Star time were timewasting in the first half and yet their fans were loud and constant, credit to them. One scare across the face of goal but not much else for Borjan  to do.  Unless I missed something. 

Update - Tough - mishit from a setpiece deflected passed Borjan. Ruled an own goal.  1-1 on the night, still got the away goals but no cushion.   

Top class save to keep it 1-1. His teammates love him.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Borjan made a crucial save in added time but got injured on the play. He’s back up but hopefully he isn’t playing through it and miss games later

3 hours ago, jordan said:

Carabao Cup

Leutwiler starts agianst Sheffield United

Hoilett starts against Luton Town

Champions League Qualifiers

Borjan starts against Young Boys, its 2-2 on aggregate presently with Leg 2 in Belgrade

Leutwiler and Blackburn lose 2-1

Hoilett was credited with an own goal in a 3-0 loss

Just now, jordan said:

Morelos scores in extra time, Arfield came out in the 72nd

Interesting scenes.  So much injury time because visiting fans set off enough flairs you could not see the pitch.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article19034443.ece/ALTERNATES/s510b/0_Rangers-FC-v-Legia-Warsaw-UEFA-Europa-League-Play-Off-Second-Leg.jpg

At least they are through.

• jordan unpinned this topic