Algarve Cup 2018

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like coming back with Quinn and Zadorsky.

If we have a few good goalkeepers and roll them to all get action, why aren't we doing that with all our veterans?

Why are we playing 15-17 year-old's who were not effective against quality competition at the U20 level where the game is very naive and amateur?

Oh wait, of course, we're not trying to win at the senior level either.

Another downside of no domestic league is when you pull bullshit like this you can get away with it scot-free.  Try that when you have a league and a lot of talented women playing and then see the reaction.

7 minutes ago, Vic said:

I like coming back with Quinn and Zadorsky.

If we have a few good goalkeepers and roll them to all get action, why aren't we doing that with all our veterans?

Why are we playing 15-17 year-old's who were not effective against quality competition at the U20 level where the game is very naive and amateur?

Oh wait, of course, we're not trying to win at the senior level either.

Another downside of no domestic league is when you pull bullshit like this you can get away with it scot-free.  Try that when you have a league and a lot of talented women playing and then see the reaction.

Well I agree with you but we both know a domestic league will never survive financially.

I imagine that was a pretty common comment in countries 30-50 years ago when they started them.  

None of these leagues make money. They exist to provide opportunities for women.

According to Darwin life finds a way.  They all succeeded in different ways, because they had the will.

1-0 win over 10-player Russia.  I wasn't able to find a stream of the game, but it looks like they went with a 3-5-2 formation.  I personally really like that formation for Canada.  It allows Huitema (or another CF) and Sinclair to play together up top, and works well for the skillsets of our CBs.  I liked Quinn as a CDM when she played for Duke, and having 3 on the back allows any of our CBs (like Quinn) to step up with 2 CBs behind them for cover.  It also allows for Lawrence to be more involved in the attack, which we really need.  However, we don't have many players who can play wingback, so a 3-5-2 could be something of an in-game formation change or something temporary to throw at the opponents.

Just terrible clueless defending on that play.  You can see how Korea got three past them. I shudder to think what the Dutch would do to them.

1-0 on a pk against Russia isn't much to write home about. Especially with defending like that. We can lament the defensive errors against the Swedes but from the pair of results our attacking is more troubling. Kenneth Heiner-Møller has plenty of work to do before June next year finding something that not only works but works consistently. Let's hope he's up to the task.

[ 1 ]   If I read the rules correctly,  and current results hold , then Canada are eliminated from a top three podium finish and will play in the 5/6 match against Japan.

[ 2 ] Looks like Christine Sinclair is tied for top scorer of the tournament after group stage . ( I think she going to catch Wambach ! ) 

40 minutes ago, tc-in-bc said:

[ 1 ]   If I read the rules correctly,  and current results hold , then Canada are eliminated from a top three podium finish and will play in the 5/6 match against Japan.

[ 2 ] Looks like Christine Sinclair is tied for top scorer of the tournament after group stage . ( I think she going to catch Wambach ! ) 

This milestone is too big to risk jinksing...

Archived