Confirmed selection for the september game against Jamaica

shamrock

9 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Other nations play teams like England, France, Italy , Germany in friendlies, it helps development , shows off what we have, brings in huge money, it's shows the World Canada is not some piss ant. I know for a fact you bring in a nation like those, you'll have 40-60 thousand who give a damn and  imagine if we win or get a tie. Oz said it him self Canada needs to play against the best.

even if Germany brought its B/C team it would better then any other team in CONCACAF ( other then Mexico or USA). We are going to be playing the big boys in World Cups so why not get ready ! Maybe you don't care how Canada does in World Cups and just happy to be there but for me I'm not! I want Canada to win some games.

my  logic and thinking is Canada needs to start playing against better competition we have young talent right now and we have some players who are very good for sitting on the sidelines we need to do everything in our power,  to show them and the world that we mean business, and that they will get the same treatment, opportunities and play against the same teams that Italy Portugal Belgium England Northern Ireland USA and Mexico play. Canada as lost enough players to other nations and sat in the basement of World Soccer. It's time to set up. And I can't believe you can't get behind that and you call yourself a Canadian Soccer fan. Why is  mediocre acceptable to you ? 

When's that last time England, France, Italy, or Germany played a friendly against a team outside of the FIFA top 75?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

When's that last time England, France, Italy, or Germany played a friendly against a team outside of the FIFA top 75?

2000- Germany played Liechtenstein

2002 Germany played  Israel and   Kuwait 

2004 Germany played  Malta 

2009 - Germany played Norway 

2010 Germany played Malta 

2013- Italy played San Marino and Hati

2014- Italy played Luxembourg -  Germany played Armenia 

2016 Italy played Finland -  Germany played Finland 

I can't find England and France pasted friendlies 

And I missed a few in South Africa and a few other Israel games 

If you think a win or a tie against a top team in a friendly would do wonders for our program more than beating teams from our confederation consistently, I feel bad for you

Btw, in order to succeed at the World Cup we have to make it there first big guy. Oh and what teams do we have to beat to get there? I think we have to play teams in Asia right?

You win SpecialK, all our worries will be solved by lining up the top 50 in friendlies.  Fill your boots, make it happen!!  Jamaica is pretty close at 57, I think thats a good start. But El salvador is lined up for Nov window that bad, whats the second team we should line up? And then who is your target for march and how are you going to get them to play us?

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

2000- Germany played Liechtenstein

2002 Germany played  Israel and   Kuwait 

2004 Germany played  Malta 

2009 - Germany played Norway 

2010 Germany played Malta 

2013- Italy played San Marino and Hati

2014- Italy played Luxembourg -  Germany played Armenia 

2016 Italy played Finland -  Germany played Finland 

I can't find England and France pasted friendlies 

And I missed a few in South Africa and a few other Israel games 

So once in the last 15 years has a top European country played a friendly against a non-European country outside the top 75. You think that's solid evidence that we should be able to get multiple a year?

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Harrycoyster, have a lot respect for you and love reading what you put down, having a debate/covo with you is awesome. The only thing here is you can't ask a question and I give you an answer with proof and you don't like it, so you just change your question around. 

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I remember the flood of dual nationals after getting spanked by Argentina 5-0. 

By flood you mean 2 in Al-Shabani and Pedro Pacheco who were new to the program. I mean it was Straith's first camp with the senior team too, but I'm not considering him as such because well he was a youth mainstay. And I think the reason why they were in the first place was because it wasn't a FIFA date. So, a dual national would have to convince his club to allow him to play even if healthy, so I doubt that the players that Special K is mentioning would have been allowed to play for us. 

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

By flood you mean 2 in Al-Shabani and Pedro Pacheco who were new to the program. I mean it was Straith's first camp with the senior team too, but I'm not considering him as such because well he was a youth mainstay. And I think the reason why they were in the first place was because it wasn't a FIFA date. So, a dual national would have to convince his club to allow him to play even if healthy, so I doubt that the players that Special K is mentioning would have been allowed to play for us. 

Sorry, I should have ended my statement with /s.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:38 PM, SpecialK said:

Other nations play teams like England, France, Italy , Germany in friendlies, it helps development , shows off what we have, brings in huge money, it's shows the World Canada is not some piss ant. I know for a fact you bring in a nation like those, you'll have 40-60 thousand who give a damn and  imagine if we win or get a tie. Oz said it him self Canada needs to play against the best.

my  logic and thinking is Canada needs to start playing against better competition we have young talent right now and we have some players who are very good for sitting on the sidelines we need to do everything in our power,  to show them and the world that we mean business, and that they will get the same treatment, opportunities and play against the same teams that Italy Portugal Belgium England Northern Ireland USA and Mexico play. Canada as lost enough players to other nations and sat in the basement of World Soccer. It's time to set up. And I can't believe you can't get behind that and you call yourself a Canadian Soccer fan. Why is  mediocre acceptable to you ? 

Dude. No. There is literally no evidence to suggest Canada's lack of playing against high quality competition is the reason that "dual-nationals" are not joining. Also, you can't just retroactively look at their schedule and then all of a sudden infer a causal relationship.Take a look at the dialogue below and tell me if you can spot the similarly flawed reasoning.

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That’s specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn’t work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It’s just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don’t see any tigers around, do you?
[Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.
[Lisa refuses at first, then takes the exchange]

59 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I don't like Larson but Dunfield alone is making this a good podcast. I've just reached the point (about 30 minutes in) where he called Olivier Occean "a tool" shortly after he compared Paul Mariner to "the grim reaper".

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I don't like Larson but Dunfield alone is making this a good podcast. I've just reached the point (about 30 minutes in) where he called Olivier Occean "a tool" shortly after he compared Paul Mariner to "the grim reaper".

sounds like Occean wasn't well regarded

On 21/08/2017 at 6:06 PM, Bison44 said:

Umm Orlando play the same night as the Jamaica game.  Any takers on whether Johnson will recover and play that night for Orlando??  Wouldnt that be a kick in the marble bag?

....and Will subs on in the 64th. Lol, you can't make this shit up.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Blackjack15 said:

A really fun interview, but Terry needs to purchase a thesaurus (everything good is "Brilliant!").  I enjoyed his telling of the story of his first cap in Venezuela.  Overall, I thought he brought some good insight:  for instance, I wonder how many other more seasoned pros in the program thought of guys getting senior call ups straight out of university without having played a pro game?

On 9/1/2017 at 4:30 PM, Blackjack15 said:

On 9/1/2017 at 5:28 PM, Gian-Luca said:

On 9/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, sose said:

sounds like Occean wasn't well regarded

It is an interesting and opinionated interview. He may be right or wrong about Occean, certainly the red card and suspension were not very good behaviour on his part. I have seen a few French interviews with him here in Quebec though and he had interesting things to say and did not seem to be a bad guy as much as one can tell from interviews. Still I think it has to be pointed out that dishing out dirt and negative opinions on your former teammates like Dunfield is doing in this interview isn't necessarily the sign of a really good character either nor an indication that we should necessarily accept his opinions at face value.

14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

It is an interesting and opinionated interview. He may be right or wrong about Occean, certainly the red card and suspension were not very good behaviour on his part. I have seen a few French interviews with him here in Quebec though and he had interesting things to say and did not seem to be a bad guy as much as one can tell from interviews. Still I think it has to be pointed out that dishing out dirt and negative opinions on your former teammates like Dunfield is doing in this interview isn't necessarily the sign of a really good character either nor an indication that we should necessarily accept his opinions at face value.

It all depends upon how you view the individual making the comments.  Some might see his opinions as a reflection of a lack of character, others might see them as frank, refreshing and insightful. 

Archived