Duane Rollins Fantasy League

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 29, 2017 (Matchday 2)
Current Standings (spoilers)

Canada West
Red Star Red Deer @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Nanaimo Barre FC @ Hobema Hosers (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Inter Regina @ Saskatoon Athletic FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

Ontario West
Binbrook Buccaneers @ Windsor Rum Runners (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Breithaupt Park AC @ Hamilton Steelers FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Farmers FC @ London Knights FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

Ontario East
Scarborough FC @ D.R. Legion FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Porcupine Gold Rush FC @ Beaverton FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
North York FC @ Racing Club de Espanola (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

Canada East
Borussia MonctonGladbach @ EXPAT FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Winnipeg Wanderers @ Halifax Wanderers FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
AS Sherbrooke Estrie @ Summerside Argus FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

A few changes were made with the code prior to these matches:
- The "aim" stat was made a bit more important in terms of hitting the net (its impact was somewhat low before).
- Changed the stat output from the end of the 2nd half file to the end of the highlight file.
- Fixed a bug where a team could have a player ejected for a second caution despite not having a first caution.

For Wednesday (next V Cup matches), I'll try to look at the following:
- Subs.  Didn't have a chance to code it in today.
- There were a couple of teams that didn't take a single shot this week - I just want to make sure that I'm not missing some game-breaking bug that's causing that.

Also, I realised that I had given Halifax 10 points in each skill stat by accident.  As a result, I'm going to re-run their two matches so far, and the previous results will be deleted.

April 22, 2017 (Repeat)
EXPAT FC @ Halifax Wanderers FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

April 26, 2017 (Repeat)
FC Lanaudière @ Halifax Wanderers FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

Lucky tied teams are Regina and Beaverton.  Lucky loser is Winnipeg.  EXPAT FC is the lucky tied team from the Expat-Halifax rematch.

Voyageurs' Cup - Round of 32
Tournament Bracket (spoilers!)

Nanaimo Barre FC @ Vancouver Whitecaps (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Trail & Castlegar FC @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
FC Edmonton @ Red Star Red Deer (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Inter Regina @ Saskatoon Athletic FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

Winnipeg Wanderers @ Hobema Hosers (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Windsor Rum Runners @ SC Chatham Corn Stars (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Toronto FC III @ Farmers FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Binbrook Buccaneers @ Hamilton Steelers FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

London Knights FC @ Toronto FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
D.R. Legion FC @ Beaverton FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Porcupine Gold Rush FC @ Racing Club de Espanola (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Scarborough FC @ Montreal Impact (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

York Lions FC @ North York FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Borussia MonctonGladbach @ Halifax Wanderers FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
AS Sherbrooke Estrie @ Summerside Argus FC (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)
Expat FC @ Hans Island (Highlights - 1st Half - 2nd Half)

Alright, I had a good long look at the no-shots issue, and while I don't believe it's because of a bug, there's some balance issues that could be addressed.  I made the following changes prior to tonight's V Cup matches:

• Increased the variability of where shots could be taken from.  (Imagine there's a roughly-donut-shaped semicircle around the opponent's net that signifies where your team wants to take shots from.  That donut has gotten wider.)
  • Slightly narrowed the impact that the "shot" strategy has on shooting preference (teams that hold the ball will be slightly more prone to shooting; vice versa for teams that shoot early).
  • Slightly altered the likelihood of a shot based on field location and match specifics.
  • Altered the weighting that determined pass or run completion (not related to shooting, but it was still changed).

I don't want to do too much all at once - there's enough teams that get plenty of shots, and I don't want to suddenly find them taking 30 shots a game.  A lot of this plays on the interaction between your skills and your strategies, and if they're not complementing each other, you're going to run into trouble.

I ended up working today so didn't get a chance to add substitutions - it requires a fair amount of logic work to figure out what players to sub on and off, whereas everything else was just tinkering with formulas.  Hopefully for the weekend.

Also hopefully tomorrow (maybe Friday), I'll try to post the league skill averages so it's easier to figure out what everyone else is focusing on and how to best build your team.

Archived