Duane Rollins Fantasy League

Alright, so looks like we've got 25 teams - 13 in Ontario, 10.5 in the rest of Canada, 1 in San Francisco, and 0.5 in Denmark.  I'll put a dummy team in there to kick it up to an even 26 (Nanaimo Barre FC), and anyone who's late to the party can take that team over.

I can post matches every weekend except October 14th (I'll be out of the country, uh, surveying overseas expansion opportunities).  There's 25 weeks between now and then - a perfect number for a single match between each club.  If we wanted a season-end playoff, we could start them when I get back, and we could fit in three two-leg aggregate series by the end of November (ie. 8 teams make the playoffs, with a quarterfinal, semifinal, and final).

Option A - Single-table with a single match between each team, with the top eight teams making a three-round, two-legged playoff.

The other option is to split the league either vertically (DRFL First Division & DRFL Second Division) or horizontally (DRFL Ontario Conference & DRFL Rest of Canada Conference).  Teams in each group would have two matches against each other (home-and-away), but wouldn't face the other group until the playoffs.

Option B - Two divisions (first and second) with a home-and-away series between each team in the same division.  Places in the first division would be determined by largest city size (6 places) and random draw (8 places).  Teams in opposite divisions would not meet until the playoffs.  There would not be any form of pro/rel, though some second-division teams would qualify for the playoffs.

Option C - Two conferences (Ontario & ROC) with a home-and-away series between each team in the same conference.  Teams in opposite conferences would not meet until the playoffs.

The last option (which will please the purists out there) is a true pyramid setup with pro/rel and both spring & fall seasons.  It would have an 8-team first division, with two 8- or 9-team divisions underneath it (Second Division West & Second Division East).  At the end of a short 14-week spring season, the top four teams in the first division would have a playoff for the season championship, while some of the others (#5-8 of first division, #1-2 of each second division) would have a playoff for promotion & relegation.  Then we do the same thing for a fall season.

Option D - Pyramid style (1 first division & 2 second divisions) with a home-and-away series between each team in the same division.  Separate spring & fall seasons rather than a year-long season.  Initial places in the first division would be determined by largest city size (4 places) and random draw (4 places).  Teams in opposite divisions would not meet until the playoffs.  Pro/rel would exist in end-of-season playoffs.

Let me know which option you'd like by Monday, April 17th at 9 PM ET (approx 48 hours after this post).  I might make minor detail changes depending on what the responses are like.  If you're really opposed to a season-ending playoff and would just rather have the season table decide things, post that as well, but I think that week I'm away gives us a perfect pre-playoffs break.

I'll decide what to do with the Voyageurs' Cup once we know what this league looks like.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the pro/rel idea but would prefer a during season Cup instead of Playoffs (except for pro/rel end of season)..

Option A (DRFL First Division/Second Division pro/rel) with a during the year Cup and Playoffs at the end for pro/rel would be perfect IMO.

Not a fan of split season (Spring/Fall).

My preferences are Option D & Option A (in that order), but I'm not married to any of them. I know my team, Porcupine Gold Rush FC, is not likely to be in the 1st division, but I don't really care about that. Whatever is easier for you to program is good.

Another crazy possibility would be 3 divisions and with some sort of a dreaded-hex style playoff. I think that would be horrific and awesome at the same time.

I like option D with the two split seasons and having 1st and 2nd east/west divisions with pro and rel involved.  It would be actually closer to a purist situation (which I am a real fan of). I know my club Trail & Castlegar FC will not be in the first division due to population. But I'm happy with that as I am excited in winning a lower division title or play-off final to get promoted to the top. Looking forward to that windfall.  This is my vote but if something else gets voted in I will still participate. 

A separate cup might be difficult to fit in if we're including the Voyageurs' Cup as well.  Not impossible, mind you, but there'd be mid-week matches pretty well every week (provided we did two-legged ties, which would be more fun but isn't written in stone).

The advantage I see with shorter spring/fall seasons rather than a longer full-year season is that the hope of a new season might keep people engaged if they get stuck in the bottom of the standings, and it becomes easier to cull any teams that are abandoned by their owners.  I'm not horribly attached to it and realise it makes things somewhat complicated and a bit less glamourous, but there are some practical advantages to it.

I think I might have just brainstormed a little idea that might keep everyone happy - I need to make sure it will actually work so I'm not gonna provide details until probably tomorrow, but if you want a hint: I took inspiration from the Toronto Wolfpack. ;) 

and in testing news; Hamilton with the best goal-line defense ever:

4:00 - HFX CORNER KICK: 35 yard cross pass SUCCESSFUL (0 yards from opposing goal line, 0 yards off-centre near side)
 4:05 - HFX 0 yard HEADER ON TARGET - BLOCKED - RECOVERED BY DEFENSE (out behind own goal line)

Sadly for them, Halifax would get even on the ensuing play:

4:45 - HFX CORNER KICK: 28 yard cross pass SUCCESSFUL (10 yards from opposing goal line, 9 yards off-centre near side)
 4:50 - HFX 14 yard SHOT ON TARGET - GOAL - HFX 1 HAM 1

Alright, here's how the season going to work:

We're going to have a full-year season (April 22 - Oct 07), though that season will be divided into two parts.  As a result, I've upped the total number of teams to 28 (Hamilton & Halifax have been added and are free for the taking).

• The first part will have four divisions of seven teams each, divided geographically, with each team playing a home-and-away against each other team in their division.  12 games and 2 bye weeks, over 12 weekend and 2 midweek dates.
  • At the end of this first part of the season, the league will be re-shuffled based on results.  The top two teams from each division will be placed into the top division (DRFL1), while the remaining 20 teams will be divided into two divisions of 10 teams each (once again divided geographically - DRFL2 West and DRFL2 East).  I'm intending for the first-phase standings to carry over into this second phase, but that's not written in stone.
  • For the second phase - the eight teams in the top division will play a home-and-away against each other, giving 14 matches over 13 weekend and 1 midweek dates.  I currently have the second division teams doing the same thing, giving 13 weekend and 5 midweek dates, but I might change that as I'd really like to avoid that many midweek dates.

In terms of a cup competition - since teams will be entered into the Voyageur's Cup, I'm not going to have a separate DRFL Cup.

• 64 teams will gain entry into the Voyageurs' Cup - 3 MLS, FCE, OFFC, 28 DRFL, 16 L1O, 7 PLSQ, 6 PDL, and the two finalists from the Challenge Trophy.
  • All teams will enter in the first round.  This is a straight-up no-byes elimination tournament.
  • The Round of 64 and the Round of 32 will be single-legged matches, hosted by the higher-ranked team.  All rounds after that will be two-game aggregate.
  • All matches will be mid-week; the first ones will take place Tuesday, April 25th.  Our Voyageurs' Cup will end on the same day as the real one - June 27th.

The only question from here is playoffs - at a minimum, we'll have pro/rel playoffs between the bottom four first-division teams and the top four second-division teams.  Ideally I'd like to keep those second-division teams in the hunt for a title.  There's really three playoff options available:

• No playoffs - the top first-division team wins it all.
  • 4-team playoffs - the top four first-division teams compete for the playoff championship.
  • 8-team playoffs - the four pro/rel winners join the top four first-division teams for an eight-team playoff.

My preference is the third option but I'm not particularly married to any of them - I know some would like to avoid title playoffs altogether.

The four initial divisions are as follows.  EXPAT FC will have to move their barge to the east coast, and Winnipeg gets shafted by being "eastern" Canada for some reason.

Canada West:

Red Star Red Deer (shermanator)

AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC (Duane Rollins)
Inter Regina (rob.notenboom)
Trail & Castlegar FC - Trail, BC (Michael Schlodder)
Saskatoon Athletic FC (Tuscan)
Hobema Hosers - Maskwacis, AB (TRM)
Nanaimo Barre FC (ThiKu)

April 22
BYE - Red Star Red Deer
AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC @ Hobema Hosers
Nanaimo Barre FC @ Saskatoon Athletic FC
Inter Regina @ Trail & Castlegar FC

April 29
Red Star Red Deer @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
Nanaimo Barre FC @ Hobema Hosers
Inter Regina @ Saskatoon Athletic FC
BYE - Trail & Castlegar FC

May 6
Red Star Red Deer @ Nanaimo Barre FC
BYE - AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
Inter Regina @ Hobema Hosers
Trail & Castlegar FC @ Saskatoon Athletic FC

May 13
Red Star Red Deer @ Inter Regina
AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC @ Nanaimo Barre FC
Trail & Castlegar FC @ Hobema Hosers
BYE - Saskatoon Athletic FC

May 20
Red Star Red Deer @ Trail & Castlegar FC
AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC @ Inter Regina
BYE - Nanaimo Barre FC
Saskatoon Athletic FC @ Hobema Hosers

May 27
Red Star Red Deer @ Saskatoon Athletic FC
AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC @ Trail & Castlegar FC
Nanaimo Barre FC @ Inter Regina
BYE - Hobema Hosers

June 3
Red Star Red Deer @ Hobema Hosers
AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC @ Saskatoon Athletic FC
Nanaimo Barre FC @ Trail & Castlegar FC
BYE - Inter Regina

June 6 (any teams participating in the Voyageurs' Cup on this date will play on July 11th instead)
BYE - Red Star Red Deer
Hobema Hosers @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
Saskatoon Athletic FC @ Nanaimo Barre FC
Trail & Castlegar FC @ Inter Regina

June 10
AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC @ Red Star Red Deer
Hobema Hosers @ Nanaimo Barre FC
Saskatoon Athletic FC @ Inter Regina
BYE - Trail & Castlegar FC

June 17
Nanaimo Barre FC @ Red Star Red Deer
BYE - AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
Hobema Hosers @ Inter Regina
Saskatoon Athletic FC @ Trail & Castlegar FC

June 24
Inter Regina @ Red Star Red Deer
Nanaimo Barre FC @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
Hobema Hosers @ Trail & Castlegar FC
BYE - Saskatoon Athletic FC

July 1
Trail & Castlegar FC @ Red Star Red Deer
Inter Regina @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
BYE - Nanaimo Barre FC
Hobema Hosers @ Saskatoon Athletic FC

July 4
Saskatoon Athletic FC @ Red Star Red Deer
Trail & Castlegar FC @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
Inter Regina @ Nanaimo Barre FC
BYE - Hobema Hosers

July 8
Hobema Hosers @ Red Star Red Deer
Saskatoon Athletic FC @ AFC Medicine Hat Mad Hatters FC
Trail & Castlegar FC @ Nanaimo Barre FC
BYE - Inter Regina

11 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Alright, here's how the season going to work:

We're going to have a full-year season (April 22 - Oct 07), though that season will be divided into two parts.  As a result, I've upped the total number of teams to 28 (Hamilton & Halifax have been added and are free for the taking).

• The first part will have four divisions of seven teams each, divided geographically, with each team playing a home-and-away against each other team in their division.  12 games and 2 bye weeks, over 12 weekend and 2 midweek dates.
  • At the end of this first part of the season, the league will be re-shuffled based on results.  The top two teams from each division will be placed into the top division (DRFL1), while the remaining 20 teams will be divided into two divisions of 10 teams each (once again divided geographically - DRFL2 West and DRFL2 East).  I'm intending for the first-phase standings to carry over into this second phase, but that's not written in stone.
  • For the second phase - the eight teams in the top division will play a home-and-away against each other, giving 14 matches over 13 weekend and 1 midweek dates.  I currently have the second division teams doing the same thing, giving 13 weekend and 5 midweek dates, but I might change that as I'd really like to avoid that many midweek dates.

In terms of a cup competition - since teams will be entered into the Voyageur's Cup, I'm not going to have a separate DRFL Cup.

• 64 teams will gain entry into the Voyageurs' Cup - 3 MLS, FCE, OFFC, 28 DRFL, 16 L1O, 7 PLSQ, 6 PDL, and the two finalists from the Challenge Trophy.
  • All teams will enter in the first round.  This is a straight-up no-byes elimination tournament.
  • The Round of 64 and the Round of 32 will be single-legged matches, hosted by the higher-ranked team.  All rounds after that will be two-game aggregate.
  • All matches will be mid-week; the first ones will take place Tuesday, April 25th.  Our Voyageurs' Cup will end on the same day as the real one - June 27th.

The only question from here is playoffs - at a minimum, we'll have pro/rel playoffs between the bottom four first-division teams and the top four second-division teams.  Ideally I'd like to keep those second-division teams in the hunt for a title.  There's really three playoff options available:

• No playoffs - the top first-division team wins it all.
  • 4-team playoffs - the top four first-division teams compete for the playoff championship.
  • 8-team playoffs - the four pro/rel winners join the top four first-division teams for an eight-team playoff.

My preference is the third option but I'm not particularly married to any of them - I know some would like to avoid title playoffs altogether.

Can you make the cup a single match instead of two legs? Gives a better opportunity for upsets. 

Ontario West:

Binbrook Buccaneers - Hamilton (grande)

Windsor Rum Runners (Rheo)
Breithaupt Park AC - Kitchener (welltoldtales)
Farmers FC - Waterloo (FarmersFC)
SC Chatham Corn Stars (Alex D)
London Knights FC (Dominic94)
Hamilton Steelers FC

April 22
BYE - Binbrook Buccaneers
Windsor Rum Runners @ Hamilton Steelers FC
Breithaupt Park AC @ London Knights FC
Farmers FC @ SC Chatham Corn Stars

April 29
Binbrook Buccaneers @ Windsor Rum Runners
Breithaupt Park AC @ Hamilton Steelers FC
Farmers FC @ London Knights FC
BYE - SC Chatham Corn Stars

May 6
Binbrook Buccaneers @ Breithaupt Park AC
BYE - Windsor Rum Runners
Farmers FC @ Hamilton Steelers FC
SC Chatham Corn Stars @ London Knights FC

May 13
Binbrook Buccaneers @ Farmers FC
Windsor Rum Runners @ Breithaupt Park AC
SC Chatham Corn Stars @ Hamilton Steelers FC
BYE - London Knights FC

May 20
Binbrook Buccaneers @ SC Chatham Corn Stars
Windsor Rum Runners @ Farmers FC
BYE - Breithaupt Park AC
London Knights FC @ Hamilton Steelers FC

May 27
Binbrook Buccaneers @ London Knights FC
Windsor Rum Runners @ SC Chatham Corn Stars
Breithaupt Park AC @ Farmers FC
BYE - Hamilton Steelers FC

June 3
Binbrook Buccaneers @ Hamilton Steelers FC
Windsor Rum Runners @ London Knights FC
Breithaupt Park AC @ SC Chatham Corn Stars
BYE - Farmers FC

June 6 (any teams participating in the Voyageurs' Cup on this date will play on July 11th instead)
BYE - Binbrook Buccaneers
Hamilton Steelers FC @ Windsor Rum Runners
London Knights FC @ Breithaupt Park AC
SC Chatham Corn Stars @ Farmers FC

June 10
Windsor Rum Runners @ Binbrook Buccaneers
Hamilton Steelers FC @ Breithaupt Park AC
London Knights FC @ Farmers FC
BYE - SC Chatham Corn Stars

June 17
Breithaupt Park AC @ Binbrook Buccaneers
BYE - Windsor Rum Runners
Hamilton Steelers FC @ Farmers FC
London Knights FC @ SC Chatham Corn Stars

June 24
Farmers FC @ Binbrook Buccaneers
Breithaupt Park AC @ Windsor Rum Runners
Hamilton Steelers FC @ SC Chatham Corn Stars
BYE - London Knights FC

July 1
SC Chatham Corn Stars @ Binbrook Buccaneers
Farmers FC @ Windsor Rum Runners
BYE - Breithaupt Park AC
Hamilton Steelers FC @ London Knights FC

July 4
London Knights FC @ Binbrook Buccaneers
SC Chatham Corn Stars @ Windsor Rum Runners
Farmers FC @ Breithaupt Park AC
BYE - Hamilton Steelers FC

July 8
Hamilton Steelers FC @ Binbrook Buccaneers
London Knights FC @ Windsor Rum Runners
SC Chatham Corn Stars @ Breithaupt Park AC
BYE - Farmers FC

Ontario East:

Scarborough FC (FreeAgent)

D.R. Legion FC - Durham (Jahinho Guerro)
Porcupine Gold Rush FC - Timmins (Rintarin)
North York FC (yellowsweatygorilla)
York Lions FC - York University (DannyFromToronto23)
Racing Club de Espanola (Old Style Pilsner)
Beaverton FC (Greatest Cockney Rip Off)

April 22
BYE - Scarborough FC
D.R. Legion FC @ Beaverton FC
Porcupine Gold Rush FC @ Racing Club de Espanola
North York FC @ York Lions FC

April 29
Scarborough FC @ D.R. Legion FC
Porcupine Gold Rush FC @ Beaverton FC
North York FC @ Racing Club de Espanola
BYE - York Lions FC

May 6
Scarborough FC @ Porcupine Gold Rush FC
BYE - D.R. Legion FC
North York FC @ Beaverton FC
York Lions FC @ Racing Club de Espanola

May 13
Scarborough FC @ North York FC
D.R. Legion FC @ Porcupine Gold Rush FC
York Lions FC @ Beaverton FC
BYE - Racing Club de Espanola

May 20
Scarborough FC @ York Lions FC
D.R. Legion FC @ North York FC
BYE - Porcupine Gold Rush FC
Racing Club de Espanola @ Beaverton FC

May 27
Scarborough FC @ Racing Club de Espanola
D.R. Legion FC @ York Lions FC
Porcupine Gold Rush FC @ North York FC
BYE - Beaverton FC

June 3
Scarborough FC @ Beaverton FC
D.R. Legion FC @ Racing Club de Espanola
Porcupine Gold Rush FC @ York Lions FC
BYE - North York FC

BYE - Scarborough FC
Beaverton FC @ D.R. Legion FC
Racing Club de Espanola @ Porcupine Gold Rush FC
York Lions FC @ North York FC

June 10
D.R. Legion FC @ Scarborough FC
Beaverton FC @ Porcupine Gold Rush FC
Racing Club de Espanola @ North York FC
BYE - York Lions FC

June 17
Porcupine Gold Rush FC @ Scarborough FC
BYE - D.R. Legion FC