F*ck Hope Solo

Macksam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ 1 ]  There is an old saying: adversity doesn't build character it reveals character.

[ 2 ]  Americans and Australians return to the NWSL before the Canadians -- who'd  have thought that.

[ 3 ]  i wonder if the USA will proceed  with  another " victory " tour/ cash grab   ?

Love it. The Sydney Leroux curse be upon them!!! Or as Steve Martin would put it in a cheer "Die you gravy sucking pigs!". YOU LOST. Get over it. Her comment about the Swedes being cowards because "“They didn’t want to open play". Duh. Like you've never heard of bunker and counter? YOU LOST and I gloat at their misfortune!

PS. She is great looking and part of me thinks she shoots her mount off just to get attention like some ignored brat. That or she really is the female Foghorn Leghorn.

1 minute ago, The Ref said:

Is this double standard? Didn't our Sinclair got banned for 4 games for saying the referee sucked at the previous Olympics.  Now Solo gets nothing.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/13/hope-solo-soccer-cowards-sweden-ioc-punishment/88675630/

To her defense, she criticized her opposition and not the officials so the situation doesn't fit fortunately for her.

4 hours ago, tc-in-bc said:

[ 3 ]  i wonder if the USA will proceed  with  another " victory " tour/ cash grab   ?

They have already booked the first two games. Maybe the rest will be cancelled. http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016/08/03/16/40/160803-wnt-will-face-thailand-and-the-netherlands-in-first-two-post-olympic-friendlies

They play Thailand Sept 15th and The Netherlands Sept 18th.

If the CANMNT don't make the Hex, then the CANWNT will likely play the USWNT at BMO Field next year because the CSA needs to sell 16 000 tickets there a year and there isn't anything else that will do that.

Instead of the SheBelieves Cup, US can bill their next tour as SheLicksHerWounds or ComeCryWithUs.

Seriously, not winning a medal means no Victory Tour required under their contract. Though, they have 2 friendlies lined up in September anyway.

Players also lost making about 150-200k: 25k from US Olympics Committee, 75k USSF bonus, Team Bonus Pool from Victory Tour & $1.20/ticket sold in Victory Tour.

But here's the thing: Sinclair is not the only player who criticized FIFA.  Remember Camille Abily's comments about FIFA and the draw structure after France got eliminated from 2015 World Cup?  Here's the link: http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/06/27/frances-camille-abily-rips-wwc-tournament-structure-after-facing-germany-in-quarterfinals/  She basically accused FIFA of taking them for idiots.

But anyway, to get back on topic, you have to wonder why the USA keeps Solo around.  She's 35, and as good as she is, she isn't going to last forever.  They've got to develop another goalie eventually.  With all the controversies surrounding Solo, why not take this opportunity to start another goalie?  You can argue that they needed to keep Solo around because she was performing, but with this historic USA early elimination, you can't really say that Solo is their answer to every problem.

38 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

But here's the thing: Sinclair is not the only player who criticized FIFA.  Remember Camille Abily's comments about FIFA and the draw structure after France got eliminated from 2015 World Cup?  Here's the link: http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/06/27/frances-camille-abily-rips-wwc-tournament-structure-after-facing-germany-in-quarterfinals/  She basically accused FIFA of taking them for idiots.

But anyway, to get back on topic, you have to wonder why the USA keeps Solo around.  She's 35, and as good as she is, she isn't going to last forever.  They've got to develop another goalie eventually.  With all the controversies surrounding Solo, why not take this opportunity to start another goalie?  You can argue that they needed to keep Solo around because she was performing, but with this historic USA early elimination, you can't really say that Solo is their answer to every problem.

Agree on the Solo situation.  She served them well, but her time seems to have passed.  Much of the success of the team centered on Abby Wambach.  Most plays were aimed at her to score or woman handle an adversary.  Now with her gone, the team needs to change strategy.  Morgan is not Wambach and our friend Leroux was too heavy upstairs.

What does "heavy upstairs" mean?  English isn't my first language.  Does it have to do with her pregnancy, her boobs, or both? ;)  Or do you just mean that she was slow?  I really don't get what you mean.  Please explain to me.

And I never really followed the US women's national team, but I honestly wouldn't have thought that the USA ever had to rely on Wambach.  I thought they had more depth in their scoring than that.  But then again, I didn't really follow that team.  Never did and probably never will.

59 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

When someone else is better, then they can replace her.  Until then, why not play your best goaltender?  It didn't look to me like she was starting to go downhill in this tournament.  I also don't think the USA loss is on Solo, so you can't use it as an excuse to sack her.  The Americans have some very good alternate goalkeepers, so I don't think a lack of development is an issue.

^^ I didn't say the loss was on Solo.  All I said was that she can't make up for every problem the team has.  How is another goalkeeper supposed to be better than Solo if they are not given the chance to play a single game?  Did you see another goalkeeper start at the Olympics or the last World Cup, even at a group stage game?  Did you see another goalkeeper start even in a FRIENDLY game?  Honestly, I think I've only seen one time when another goalkeeper start but only because Hope wasn't available.  When she was available, no matter how "unimportant" the game was, Hope would start.  In my opinion, other USA goalkeepers aren't given enough chances.

Why does Solo have to make up for every problem on the team?  Do you expect her replacement to be able to do that?  Be fair.

As for developing another goaltender (or any other position), that only makes sense when the one you have isn't good enough.  When you have a star and need to win, you play her.  The alternates get playing time in the NWSL.  Ashley Harris doesn't seem to be suffering from a lack of international starts.

K, rkomar, I don't know why we have to debate about this.  Please don't take what I write literally.  When I say "it's not like Solo can make up for every problem on the team", I just mean that she's not perfect, and she IS replaceable.  Everybody is replaceable.  Even if the WORST player comes on the replace the best player, the worst player might just play her best game just to prove to the coach that it was the right decision to put her on.  I don't think we're going to agree on whether the USA should give other goalkeepers more chances to play.  I just know with Herdman, he gives his backup goalies more playing time than what the USA gives their backup goalies.  We'll just agree to disagree what the USA should do.  I don't have time to debate about what our rivalry team should do or should not do because I personally don't care if they do well or not.

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

and our friend Leroux was too heavy upstairs.

Obviously he mean's "thick in the head" as in thinking too much of herself to play for little old Canada when she is destined for fame, glory and money as part of the USA setup. 

The rest of you need to get your minds out of the gutter. Your weight is pressing mine down lower :)

11 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Why does Solo have to make up for every problem on the team?  Do you expect her replacement to be able to do that?  Be fair.

Because Tim Howard did it for more than a decade? That and he was a much better person IMHO and the only USMNT team player I've ever thought much of. Best player ever produced in North America including Mexico! 

4 minutes ago, TRM said:

Obviously he mean's "thick in the head" as in thinking too much of herself to play for little old Canada when she is destined for fame, glory and money as part of the USA setup.

The rest of you need to get your minds out of the gutter. Your weight is pressing mine down lower :)

Hello fellow Calgarian.  Thank you for explaining.  I wouldn't know what that means because I am not initially from Canada (although I am fully a Canwnt supporter now since I've lived here for awhile now).

Archived