• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

The forts are awesome.  Definitely using that.  It's a unique sort of red too, that'll do perfectly.  

Almost rust coloured.

When I was a kid growing up they hadn't restored all the turrets and some of them were rusty brown. Those recent photos look like they all got some fresh paint. Aside from the Scattered turrets, there is also the Kingston Pen, for other design inspiration. 

On 10/5/2016 at 6:48 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

who's next?

Just ideas for smaller markets: Barrie, Peterborough, Sherbrooke, St. Catherines/Niagra, Trois Rivieres, Cape Breton, St. John's, Durham (Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax), & Cornwall. 

I doubt any of these would be in the CPL, maybe some sort of D2.... One can dream I suppose.

9 hours ago, Pqhbv said:

Just ideas for smaller markets: Barrie, Peterborough, Sherbrooke, St. Catherines/Niagra, Trois Rivieres, Cape Breton, St. John's, Durham (Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax), & Cornwall. 

I doubt any of these would be in the CPL, maybe some sort of D2.... One can dream I suppose.

Barrie has the 21st-largest metro population in Canada, so if people are dreaming of a 20-team league, they wouldn't be far off (provided there's no second teams in larger cities, of course), but I've always had the sense that the soccer culture in Barrie sucks.

I *do*, however, know that they have an intercounty baseball team called the Barrie Baycats which might be used for inspiration, as well as the Barrie Colts of the OHL.

Let's see if we can get them (or Ptbo, or SC/N, or Cornwall) a D3 team first and go from there.

On 2016-10-06 at 5:18 PM, Gopherbashi said:

540px-Kingston,_Coat_of_Arms.jpg(

(I love the weird bird-dog-thing on the left's "WTF is that!?" look at the beaver)

That would be a griffin, a traditional symbol of kingship because it has the rear half of a lion (the king of beasts) and the front half of an eagle (the king of birds). It's also typically a symbol of military strength and leadership, which is appropriate for Kingston as a fort town.

On 10/8/2016 at 11:54 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

St. John's NL - ideas, people

also those other ontario ones that I haven't got to yet.

For St. John's I'd expect something Orange and Green or other funky colour combos.

Barrie has the Spirit Catcher which IMO looks pretty neat.

The Spirit Catcher didn't have a significance to Barrie prior to it's being moved here. Now, it's a symbol of the city and very well known here. The Barrie Colts of the OHL have been around for about 20 years and ingrained in the City's culture now. They're very popular and well-supported. The Barrie Molson Centre is a very good facility although somewhat small (4,000 or so, deemed too small for Memorial Cup). The Barrie Baycats have been a dominant team in the Inter-County Baseball League. It's hard to find good info on the ICBL but I think the Baycats had several hundred out for their recent playoff games. Tickets were only $10 for adults and free for kids.

As for soccer, there's the usual mix of it's a very popular participation sport as well as lots of interest at WCs and Euros. Other than that, Toronto FC is making small in-roads, and it's not uncommon to see the jerseys of the big Euro clubs being worn. There is a soccer field with stands located by the baseball stadium the Baycats play at, but the capacity is pretty low. I doubt there would be much support to expand it. You can forget about CPL. I think you'd be aiming for L1O.

Fort York: Ouch, that is so busy and confusing. At the very least the letters need to be highlighted with a thin white band around the outline. At best I'd start again and perhaps take the elements a little less literally.

Hamilton: Love the crest. Very clean and distinctive.

Archived