9 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Call me crazy, but in terms of viewership, isn't the EPL the proven way to market soccer to north americans?  I wonder if MLS get's more viewers than the EPL in north america.

This is basically the assumption i've been running on anyways.

According to stats on another thread, EPL draws more than MLS.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Good point. I suppose the reason why EPL draws more than MLS needs to be broken down, or better yet, why MLS is able to draw at all. I think the latter info would be more valuable than the former.

It's complicated.  The way I see it there are two main factors.  There's people who want the authentic, top notch product, and don't particularly care about supporting local/going to games regularly etc etc.  And then there are people who feel pride in their city/region and care more about supporting local, going to games, and being involved in something where they actually kind of matter.  

EPL draws more for obvious reasons.  It is the cream of the crop, the top of the line, the most polished, with the most history, and given that most of us are descendant from colonials, we feel that there is nothing wrong with us identifying with our colonial roots.  So much so that EPL is quite literally more mainstream in Canada than MLS is(and may ever be).

MLS's draw is a different one.  It begins to weak the beak of those who like the idea of transplanting the EPL across the pond.  The dreamers.  We know it's not the same quality, that is doesn't have the same history, and that within our lifetimes, it may never even come close.  

That's the appeal of the CPL.  It's saying hey, let's be ambitious and really take a shot at putting Canada on the map in terms of authenticity and pride in our locals.  

That's why I started this project and that's why I won't stop until every single town in the country has a flag to fly in the form of a logo that brings the towns together.  That's why, despite cynicism, negativity and infighting, we(or at least I) keep going, even when I'd like to smash my computer lol

Okay, sorry, started channelling Guillermo for a minute there.

But seriously that's why this matters to me.  It's our chance to do it right.

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I'm getting tired of talking about victoria so I'm just gonna skip that one for now until someone other than ted(who's also from vic) offers their two cents.

You are getting tired of me disagreeing with you is what you mean.  ;)  I'm sorry if you personally like the dogwood but it is simply not a local symbol. I took a highly scientific poll of my coworker and asked what the dogwood means to him. He said, without hesitation, "BC Ferries" and that is after they changed the logo 20 years ago!! He would have been a kid when it was used.

You will get the same answer from 90% of the people who live here. The other 10% will tell you a "dogwood" is their high school diploma. ;)

You made a BEAUTIFUL new crest!

Take "yes" for an answer and add it to the "done" list. :)

11 minutes ago, ted said:

You are getting tired of me disagreeing with you is what you mean.  ;)  I'm sorry if you personally like the dogwood but it is simply not a local symbol. I took a highly scientific poll of my coworker and asked what the dogwood means to him. He said, without hesitation, "BC Ferries" and that is after they changed the logo 20 years ago!! He would have been a kid when it was used.

You will get the same answer from 90% of the people who live here. The other 10% will tell you a "dogwood" is their high school diploma. ;)

You made a BEAUTIFUL new crest!

Take "yes" for an answer and add it to the "done" list. :)

I mean I don't doubt that when you ask it that way they come up with that, but what if you ask it in reverse/in a more open-ended way.  Ask "what is the best symbol for the city of victoria?" and see what answers you get.  You're sorta framing the question in a way to get the answer you want.

Like I get that the highlanders holds significance for you, but it is about representing the entire city is it not?

I don't care if it's the dogwood or whatever, but I still think it's reasonable to get at least one other person's opinion before moving on.  Hey @Rintaran you're from Vic correct?

But hey, i'll take the compliment anyways ;)

19 hours ago, reme90 said:

There is some really nice ones here, hard to pick a favorite. 

But Halifax is a proper shield. Traditional, classy, meaningful and simple. Regina is another one I like as well. 

Well done

I agree, Hali is really good but, @GuillermoDelQuarto made one for Stanley Park with is by far my favourite. Too far back to look though haha

Just now, Complete Homer said:

It's too bad they might be swallowed up in the TFC hierchy

Rollins tweeted that they have hit 2000 in attendance this year. Crazy, maybe a team there down the line is more realistic there than I imagined

Yeah, I saw that.  Things change though.  I don't see it happening right away, but thought why not give it a shot.

Maybe getting under the TFC umbrella is actually a step in the right direction long term.  ?  Idk

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It's too bad they might be swallowed up in the TFC hierchy

Rollins tweeted that they have hit 2000 in attendance this year. Crazy, maybe a team there down the line is more realistic there than I imagined

Good look though?  Forest city so they had to be green. not 100% sold on the font, but hey

1 minute ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Good look though?  Forest city so they had to be green. not 100% sold on the font, but hey

I like the look but I'm not quite getting the connection of the tree to the city of London. I usually associate London with the surrounding farmland (possibly personal bias, I spent a few summers on farms out there growing up). 

3 hours ago, Ngravs said:

@GuillermoDelQuarto hi just looking at your WPG logo looks good! I think that if it were possible a bison would be cool instead of the lion. Something similar to the one on the U of M crest. i think a good spot would be where you have the Lion and crown in these two images

footer_manitoba.pngjA8VK3G.png

Might be worth trying, but in my hypothetical CPL, Regina already claimed the Bison.

Leaning towards the torch from the golden boy, atm.

3 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Might be worth trying, but in my hypothetical CPL, Regina already claimed the Bison.

Leaning towards the torch from the golden boy, atm.

Yes I think the torch in the middle would be great if the jets are part of the organization you can take their old logo and replace the sick my a torch and do your thing. But I agree the torch would be a nice touch

On 21/09/2016 at 2:40 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I mean I don't doubt that when you ask it that way they come up with that, but what if you ask it in reverse/in a more open-ended way.  Ask "what is the best symbol for the city of victoria?" and see what answers you get.  You're sorta framing the question in a way to get the answer you want.

Like I get that the highlanders holds significance for you, but it is about representing the entire city is it not?

I don't care if it's the dogwood or whatever, but I still think it's reasonable to get at least one other person's opinion before moving on.  Hey @Rintaran you're from Vic correct?

But hey, i'll take the compliment anyways ;)

I moved to Victoria about 2-yrs ago. Officially, the Dogwood is the "flower" of the province, but Ted's right in saying there's no local connection beyond there being some Dogwood trees. There's more of a local affinity to the Douglas Fir, bamboo, or Cherry Blossoms. If you're up for a "gag" logo, you could use a wedding veil, a cane, and a homeless man in a sleeping bag, and people in Victoria would recognise it instantly (with a sense of dread and embarrassment).

Personally, I like both the Highlander W Crown (despite the royal/Scottish issues) no Dogwood better. I also liked the previous darker-blue logo if it ends up being a team unassociated with the Highlanders. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a resurrection of Victoria United at some level of play, though not at the expense of the Highlanders I've grown to enjoy.

Archived