Little update on Moncton concept

wf5Fqn8.png

@Oranje thought it would be cool if the name was based on the main river in the region, so as to include the surrounding towns, I thought it was cool, also mentioned the importance of it being bilingual, so i thought it would be cool if possibly they would make the kits with 50% CF 50% FC as well as have the little sayings inverted in french and english(a little hard to read but you get the idea)

Anyways, feedback always appreciated :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been raised (I pay more attention to the pretty pictures) but given the proximity - and attachment via the river - and the brand recognition - I wonder if an NB-based team would want an association with Fundy.  Would open up some affiliated naming possibilities, like "Fundy Tide" (If we move away from FC/CF as a standard/placeholder).  

"The Tide is Rising!"

et cetera

Though I suppose opposing teams could point out the Tidal bore...

All just food for thought.

Sitting here with my metis getting his input, so i know this isn't racist :P

his first impression upon seeing the logo was 

"Where's the red?"

although i think on some level he was pulling my leg, I think if theres a way to incorporate red and make it work that would be good.  Our idea was to try and see how the sash looks as some sort of simplified metis sash(shown below) as well he suggested incorporating the colours of the medecine wheel into the tomahawks(either as tassles or as part of the head)

Anyways, hoping to hear which of these people prefer and why - I kinda like the whole valour thing, but visually I think the ones with Winnipeg accross the bottom work better.helps make the crown pop.

Nq2NFnZ.png

edit: wow, and by my metis, I definitely meant my metis friend lol, little typo.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:16 AM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Little update on Moncton concept

wf5Fqn8.png

@Oranje thought it would be cool if the name was based on the main river in the region, so as to include the surrounding towns, I thought it was cool, also mentioned the importance of it being bilingual, so i thought it would be cool if possibly they would make the kits with 50% CF 50% FC as well as have the little sayings inverted in french and english(a little hard to read but you get the idea)

Anyways, feedback always appreciated :)

Moncton is better. 

4 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Anyways, hoping to hear which of these people prefer and why - I kinda like the whole valour thing, but visually I think the ones with Winnipeg accross the bottom work better.helps make the crown pop.

Nq2NFnZ.png

I think the new "silver" colour is perfect and a much needed improvement. 

Removing the tassels, like the picture in your top left, is the right call. It cleans up the Victoria Cross and makes it pop, which is the whole reason for the Valour name. 

Having "Winnipeg"  like both pictures on the right is much better as well. Besides having "For Valour" on the crown adds a touch of detail to the picture without making it too busy. However, could you try "PRO VALORE" which is French and would look cooler and is a nod to the huge French community in Winnipeg. 

Try it without the Axes as well, with and without the Lion. The Axes could be brought back for the Supporters Group the "Rebels" or "Warriors" (although in Manitoba that is a gang name), maybe Winnipeg Warriors

It's a big Plus to make the crown gold, now you have all 3 Winnipeg colours, Blue, Gold and Silver. 

6 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Sitting here with my metis getting his input, so i know this isn't racist :P

his first impression upon seeing the logo was 

"Where's the red?"

although i think on some level he was pulling my leg, I think if theres a way to incorporate red and make it work that would be good.  Our idea was to try and see how the sash looks as some sort of simplified metis sash(shown below) as well he suggested incorporating the colours of the medecine wheel into the tomahawks(either as tassles or as part of the head)

Nq2NFnZ.png

Couple thoughts: 

Remove all gradients

Theres inconsistency with the tassels

Theres inconsistency with the axes? being in the front or behind the cross.

(don't mind me having a try)

26 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Winnipeg City FC (because the blue bombers are officially/legally the Winnipeg FC)

winnipeg-city.png

Note: probably a little more detail can be added, but based on modern football crest designs simplicity mixed with few elements is key.

I like the Crown wearing Lion facing you. It looks solemn. 

The Gold colors remind me alot of the Bombers but I dont like the white, or the tone of the grey/silver. 

GDQ: You think you could use the Lion within your crest. And Yes, Guerro is right, simplicity is better. Remove the tassels and the Axes. 

I think some allusion to the aboriginal population of Winnipeg is still warranted, but it is hard to make it fit while remaining subtle. Making it aboriginal-centric I think is risky too, you don't want to look like you are trying to commercialize their heritage as opposed to being inclusive. 

I don't know, I leave it up to the artistic types 

On 9/17/2016 at 3:01 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

Couple thoughts: 

Remove all gradients

Theres inconsistency with the tassels

Theres inconsistency with the axes? being in the front or behind the cross.

(don't mind me having a try)

The gradients were basically put in at the request of reme(i think that's who it was) because he was wanting it to look silver.  I don't generally use them and maybe they need to be subtler, but I think they accomplish the effect of making it look silver.  But that being said, not overly attached to them.

The Tassles are going to be nixed anyways, but I think they just got moved over accidently on a few of the versions.  

In terms of the axes, I was trying to actually make them look like they were at an angle, coming out from behind the cross, and I thought it looked fine, but I can play around with them.

I can try it without the axes, but honestly @reme90 I think it would be making a huge mistake getting rid of them.  As @Complete Homer alluded to, For Winnipeg it seems important to acknowledge the aboriginal community.  Other than the Territories, Manitoba has the highest % of the population with Aboriginal Heritage.  The cross (whether it is a victoria cross or not) has obvious Christian connotations, and, given our countries history of Residential Schools, I think including an aboriginal symbol on the logo is a really nice acknowledgement of their presence in Winnipeg.  I would love for this to be a crest that brings as many people in as possible, and with the tomahawks I feel like we really cover all our bases.

Who knows, maybe we can use soccer to heal a few old wounds and really have different cultures come together over a common love, the beautiful game.

The logo is still a work in progress but I really want everyone on the same page in terms of symbols.  It's amazing what we can accomplish when we all come to a consensus.

And thanks @Jahinho Guerro for the critique.  Sometimes I get a little defensive/carried away with detail and forget that simplicity is often strength.  Between the two of us we should have no problem coming up with Bangin' logo's for every single town in the country.  

Definitely don't mind you having a go, all I care about is that we eventually can all come to a consensus.  Do you mind if I try with your lion logo?  I like it better than the one I had.

Cheers guys, I'll be back tomorrow, hope everyone had as good of a weekend as I did :)

alright.  Simplified the design slightly(stylized the cross a bit more).  Removed the gradients(for the most part, very slight silver tint and slight gold tint, but not quite as gawdy as before), moved the axes forward so they're in front of the cross but still behind the crown, removed tassles, removed outline on sash, removed outline on lettering.  Thoughts?

FoXqSus.png

I can still try one with the lion, but I remember earlier we were talking about how we already had a lion for Halifax AND Victoria, so, In my little universe in my head where the CPL somehow chooses all my concepts, we gotta stay away from the lion.  Don't think we've used the crown as much though.  Just on the bottom of the regina one(which seemed warranted).

Anyways.  As always, appreciate the input.

edit: oh and I can put pro valore on the crown again, but i just forgot to transfer it

9Ab0B7q.png

slightly different, got rid of the border, and changed the angle on the axes very slightly

On 9/14/2016 at 7:06 PM, reme90 said:

I agree actually, the axes could go and so could the FC. 

The only other really Winnipeg thing that could represent is the Golden Boy, or at least the torch he carries. I like how its starting

also, totally forgot about this.  Could replace the crown with the torch if we wanted.  Then we would have one christian-ish symbol, one aboriginal symbol and one symbol that is purely of the city.  

Thoughts?

10 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Between the two of us we should have no problem coming up with Bangin' logo's for every single town in the country.  

Definitely don't mind you having a go, all I care about is that we eventually can all come to a consensus.  Do you mind if I try with your lion logo?  I like it better than the one I had.

Don't ask, just do - its all for the love and fun anyways

12 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I can still try one with the lion, but I remember earlier we were talking about how we already had a lion for Halifax AND Victoria...

Well, I'd be happier if we (Victoria) had the crown and you used the lion for Winnipeg. It would look better I think.

Just FYI here is the Coat of Arms of Victoria (rendered as a flag):

victoria_flag.jpg

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I really like bottom right. Is there flower local? 

The Pacific Dogwood is the official "flower" of BC (though it's actually a tree, but let's not get technical). It is definitely found all over the place here on Vancouver Island.

I like the bottom right as well, although I'm not a big fan of the city's light blue colour. Still, it would be appropriate.

Archived