• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ted said:

We already have a club and colours thanks.

It could be improved, I admit, but a whole new identity is not necessary. 

highlanders.png

fair enough dude, just doing the thing that I do

edit: and just to add, that was the original rationale for the green, gold and white colour scheme, as well as the lion.  But you did say you preferred the crown.  

That being said, it would be cool to find a way to incorporate at the very least a homage to the highlanders into a potential CPL team.

2x edit: I'm just trying to make you happy @ted, help me to help you.  You say you like it but it could use some improvement.  How would I improve it?

24 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

@tedYou say you like it but it could use some improvement.  How would I improve it?

Oh it can be revamped totally IMO but for this crest I would dispense with the 70's-style ball at the least. Maybe a crown instead?

1 minute ago, ted said:

^ Sorry, should have mentioned I hate the dogwood. ;)

haha well fair enough... why though?  you're pretty much the only one.  

I think i mentioned this earlier, but I was born in vic and lived there my first five years and though i don't remember much, I do remember how there seemed to be flowers absolutely everywhere.  Just seems such a shame not to use it.

Everyone I ask on r/victoria says dogwood makes the most sense as a symbol of victoria.

that, and it'll look weird with the crown without something white behind it.

W7oj9AI.png

Like call me crazy but from a purely design POV, it's better(w/ the dogwood), and other than you, it does seem to be a symbol that the people of Vic identify with.  These things are supposed to be about getting people from the area to buy into the idea of regional pride.  But if you're not scottish, where is the pride to buy into?  Dogwood is the symbol of the people of the island, whether you like it or not.

42 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

way ahead of u buddy, started doing that before i saw your last comment, 

haha 

0Hzv7oS.png

What would it look like with the crown on top? I'm going for the Real Madrid idea here.

Also, what if you changed the colour of the gold on the badge to match the left side of the crown? And put a gold border around the flower?

19 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

also, tried the 'peg with a very basic torch.  Would probably try and make it look exactly like the golden boy's torch if we go this way, but not bad for a first look... IMO anyways

F9Wf9BR.png

Can we try the lion with the crown with no axes? I'm dying to see that. 

Thought it would be interesting to see how many of the concepts we've come up with are (more or less) done and most people agree they're done.  (just noticing that the FC on the regina one still looks funky, ignore that)

If something isn't on here, it basically means i'm still working on it

UxIZwWv.png

fG5Q0Ci.png

czNELAi.png

kNok1AZ.png

reKYXST.png

ms4P3fb.png

4Rf2wos.png

YRUGqgq.png

zLrFeD0.png

0jC0ewx.png

8cxOgLW.png

I'm sure there are minor things about most of them that people don't like, but overall, how am I doing?  I can't please everyone but the end goal is to have a full catalogue that I can send to the CSA before this thing launches.  I'm trying to consider both your feedback and the feedback of a fairly representative sample for each city(city reddit's).

and yes @reme90, i'll try the lion soon, just got home from a evening shift which has thrown me off and got busy.  But while you wait, I urge you to consider the idea behind the torch from the golden boy.  The golden boy was BY FAR the most popular idea when I surveyed r/winnipeg.  Like seriously it wasn't even close(at least in terms of serious replies ;) ) and you have to admit, the torch, symbolizing the gateway to the west, is a pretty beautiful idea.   And I'll do one without the axes just for you, but I hope I offered a sound enough rationale for you to a least consider the gesture of including them. 

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Thought it would be interesting to see how many of the concepts we've come up with are (more or less) done and most people agree they're done.  (just noticing that the FC on the regina one still looks funky, ignore that)

If something isn't on here, it basically means i'm still working on it

UxIZwWv.png

fG5Q0Ci.png

czNELAi.png

kNok1AZ.png

reKYXST.png

ms4P3fb.png

4Rf2wos.png

YRUGqgq.png

zLrFeD0.png

0jC0ewx.png

8cxOgLW.png

I'm sure there are minor things about most of them that people don't like, but overall, how am I doing?  I can't please everyone but the end goal is to have a full catalogue that I can send to the CSA before this thing launches.  I'm trying to consider both your feedback and the feedback of a fairly representative sample for each city(city reddit's).

and yes @reme90, i'll try the lion soon, just got home from a evening shift which has thrown me off and got busy.  But while you wait, I urge you to consider the idea behind the torch from the golden boy.  The golden boy was BY FAR the most popular idea when I surveyed r/winnipeg.  Like seriously it wasn't even close(at least in terms of serious replies ;) ) and you have to admit, the torch, symbolizing the gateway to the west, is a pretty beautiful idea.   And I'll do one without the axes just for you, but I hope I offered a sound enough rationale for you to a least consider the gesture of including them. 

There is some really nice ones here, hard to pick a favorite. 

But Halifax is a proper shield. Traditional, classy, meaningful and simple. Regina is another one I like as well. 

Well done

21 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

W7oj9AI.png

Like call me crazy but from a purely design POV, it's better(w/ the dogwood), and other than you, it does seem to be a symbol that the people of Vic identify with.  These things are supposed to be about getting people from the area to buy into the idea of regional pride.  But if you're not scottish, where is the pride to buy into?  Dogwood is the symbol of the people of the island, whether you like it or not.

OMG that is beautiful!!! 

The Dogwood addition, from a design POV looks out of place. Black and gold with the red accents is strong and bold and clean. The white dogwood looks like an afterthought.

I have no idea who you are talking too but I have lived my entire adult life in Victoria, nobody I have ever met associates the dogwood with the community of Victoria. It is a throwback to the old BC Ferries logo and is a provincial symbol not used at all in the local community.

IMO the best concept you've done is Halifax. The Citadel shape is smart but I'd honestly ditch any text on the inside - just make it a crest/icon. Also - if you noticed the City flag has similar shape to the provincial flag but comes to a circle in the center - that could be cool for placing almost anything (other than that bird) - an "H", the lion, etc ...

Not sure how serious you are about developing these but quite a few are on the right track and if you kept at it could be legit logos.

@GuillermoDelQuarto Don't you have the final Saskatoon Athletic badge you whipped up for me a bunch of months ago? Much better than the Saskatoon FC one you posted in the "what we have so far" post.

As for the Highlanders badge, it does look good with the crown, but isn't the last thing a Scot Highlander would want is representation of the English crown associated with Scottish design?

As for the Winnipeg badge, what are the things people associate as symbols of Winnipeg? I asked people around my office what symbols they most associate with Saskatoon and the first answer was the river/the bridges. The Bessborough Hotel (The Castle on the Prairies) is also very symbolic of the city, something people would recognize, so I had him add the spire to the top of the badge. Colours were kept a simple green and white, as everyone associates those colours with both this city and the entire province. The Winnipeg badge needs to use the colours people already associate with the city (likely blue, white, silver, gold, or a combination of a few) and imagery that people most associate with the city. My two cents.

The gold in the Moncton badge doesn't really work. I'm not sure what colour you should use there. I like the badge where the red, white, and blue resemble canoes. Are canoes symbolic of Moncton?

That KW Utd badge needs to be burned in hell for eternity. What were you guys on when you proposed that idea?

12 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

@GuillermoDelQuarto Don't you have the final Saskatoon Athletic badge you whipped up for me a bunch of months ago? Much better than the Saskatoon FC one you posted in the "what we have so far" post.

As for the Highlanders badge, it does look good with the crown, but isn't the last thing a Scot Highlander would want is representation of the English crown associated with Scottish design?

As for the Winnipeg badge, what are the things people associate as symbols of Winnipeg? I asked people around my office what symbols they most associate with Saskatoon and the first answer was the river/the bridges. The Bessborough Hotel (The Castle on the Prairies) is also very symbolic of the city, something people would recognize, so I had him add the spire to the top of the badge. Colours were kept a simple green and white, as everyone associates those colours with both this city and the entire province. The Winnipeg badge needs to use the colours people already associate with the city (likely blue, white, silver, gold, or a combination of a few) and imagery that people most associate with the city. My two cents.

The gold in the Moncton badge doesn't really work. I'm not sure what colour you should use there. I like the badge where the red, white, and blue resemble canoes. Are canoes symbolic of Moncton?

That KW Utd badge needs to be burned in hell for eternity. What were you guys on when you proposed that idea?

lol yes, I have the other saskatoon one somewhere, just kinda forgot which we had settled on, i'll find that one and repost.

I'm getting tired of talking about victoria so I'm just gonna skip that one for now until someone other than ted(who's also from vic) offers their two cents.

Winnipeg - the overwhelming favourite in terms of symbols when I asked on r/winnipeg was the golden boy, and since it's too detailed to draw in it's entirety, I am now throwing my support behind the torch he holds.  Like I mentioned earlier, the whole imagery of the "Gateway to the West" just seems fitting, and was basically the rationale I got from people when I pressed them on reddit.  Crowns and lions are alright, but they aren't exactly all that unique when it comes to football.  That being said, We have the colours down don't we?(it's not in that last post, but the last few pages wave been winnipeg)

As far as moncton is concerned, it's actually not supposed to be gold, it's supposed to be brown.  Brown for mud haha.  My dad was down there recently for a work trip and thats the main thing he kept mentioning(told him his mission was to bring me the symbols of the city) - "Mud city, Mud City, Mud city" - I thought it was a bit weird too but he wouldn't let it go, and since his idea lead to the hamilton concept I'm sticking with it until someone from Moncton tells me it's shit.

The KWC one .. well.. some people like it and those were the people who happened to be around will I was asking for ideas lol.  I'm all ears for new ideas.  

I haven't spent much time in the east so I really have fuck all for ideas once we go past the prairies.

lol please tuscan.  Help me get people to come to a consensus at the very least on the right symbols for each town.  

Look at the better badges in MLS. I purposely choose MLS because, sadly and frankly, MLS is the proven way to market soccer to North Americans. Badges like the Sounders', Orlando City's, the Whitecaps', NYCFC's are the ones that are simple, easy to remember, and have a connection with the place the team plays. That's what #CanPL badges need to be.

19 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

As far as moncton is concerned, it's actually not supposed to be gold, it's supposed to be brown.  Brown for mud haha.  My dad was down there recently for a work trip and thats the main thing he kept mentioning(told him his mission was to bring me the symbols of the city) - "Mud city, Mud City, Mud city" - I thought it was a bit weird too but he wouldn't let it go, and since his idea lead to the hamilton concept I'm sticking with it until someone from Moncton tells me it's shit.

I have a friend from Moncton and I'll message her right now to see what she believes are the main symbols of Moncton. People from Moncton say the letter A differently than anyone else in Canada. I can't even type out how they say it, but if you ever meet someone from Moncton ask them to say the words "parking lot". You'll get what I mean then.

7 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Look at the better badges in MLS. I purposely choose MLS because, sadly and frankly, MLS is the proven way to market soccer to North Americans. Badges like the Sounders', Orlando City's, the Whitecaps', NYCFC's are the ones that are simple, easy to remember, and have a connection with the place the team plays. That's what #CanPL badges need to be.

Call me crazy, but in terms of viewership, isn't the EPL the proven way to market soccer to north americans?  I wonder if MLS get's more viewers than the EPL in north america.

This is basically the assumption i've been running on anyways.

Archived