7 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

It's a first draft, but what do you think @reme90?

afUSul8.png

6 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

added a few outlines, hoping to make it pop and changed up a few things.. improvement i think

vtataE9.png

aiming for bronze on the tomahawk handles/"FC", not sure if that accomplishes it or if it still looks like wood.

edit: does anyone else think the lion should be slightly smaller?

LOVE IT MAN! I'm sure others can add their bit to make it really pop. 

The Font for Winnipeg,  its perfect. In fact I'd love to see how it looks with the full name Winnipeg Football Club or at least Winnipeg FC. 

I think the grey could look more silver. Instead of the orange on the tomahawks, try, gold, (The Jets are blue and silver and the Bombers are Blue and Gold) so maybe like an amalgamation of both teams?? Gold an dsilver together migh not work though. I'd make them smaller to. 

If I could suggest changing the "For Valour" to "Pro Valore". Its French, not only does it look cooler but its a nod to the French community

The Banners over the Victoria cross, kinda look like "W"'s to me ... could you make them stand out more ?? more silver at the edges of them I guess?

I'd make the crown and lion smaller Let the Victoria cross really be the focal point of the shield. 

I like it so far

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

added a few outlines, hoping to make it pop and changed up a few things.. improvement i think

vtataE9.png

aiming for bronze on the tomahawk handles/"FC", not sure if that accomplishes it or if it still looks like wood.

edit: does anyone else think the lion should be slightly smaller?

I like it too - recommend you delete the brown "FC" over the crown. It is distracting. Agree with @reme90 - change from brown tomahawk, and change to 'Pro Valore'.

I haven't checked in on this one in a long time...

Holy Shit!  These are beautiful.  Seriously - top shelf stuff that looks polished and does a great job of reflecting local flavour.  Kudos.

Next time someone says the CPL isn't feasible, you just need to print this thread off, make some kind of vague *drops mic* gesture, and tell them to piss off.

RE: Winnipeg

Sorry, waaaaay too busy for my taste. The Axes really make it visually confusing. What's wrong with the basic shape of the cross? Why tart it up?

On the wording I would just use "Valour" and I would not even put "FC" on the badge. Not necessary to have "FC" or "SC" on all the badges.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I haven't checked in on this one in a long time...

Holy Shit!  These are beautiful.  Seriously - top shelf stuff that looks polished and does a great job of reflecting local flavour.  Kudos.

Next time someone says the CPL isn't feasible, you just need to print this thread off, make some kind of vague *drops mic* gesture, and tell them to piss off.

BRO!  You make my life worth living!  Seriously what a nice thing to say!

I've put a lot of effort into learning how to do this, and figuring out how to appease as many of the right people as possible to come up with something for each city, and I'm not done yet(but getting closer), so my sincere thanks for the kind words!  Sometimes it get's discouraging and people can be harsh without evening realizing it, but this kind of stuff makes it easy to keep trying!

47 minutes ago, ted said:

Sorry, waaaaay too busy for my taste. The Axes really make it visually confusing. What's wrong with the basic shape of the cross? Why tart it up?

On the wording I would just use "Valour" and I would not even put "FC" on the badge. Not necessary to have "FC" or "SC" on all the badges.

Thanks for the input ted!  The axes were meant as a symbolic nod to the two most prominent first nation tribes in Manitoba, so you can see why I had to at least attempt it, but I agree, it looked less cluttered before I added them.  You can obviously see the conundrum - want to pay tribute vs what looks good design-wise - this project is full of these kind of trade-offs

Most people seem to agree to nix the FC, which is easy, and should leave room to emphasize the crown and lion(or something else entirely?)

I did like "For Valour" specifically, because that was what it says on the actual Victoria cross(where it currently says Winnipeg) so I thought it made sense to keep as is.  

14 hours ago, reme90 said:

LOVE IT MAN! I'm sure others can add their bit to make it really pop. 

The Font for Winnipeg,  its perfect. In fact I'd love to see how it looks with the full name Winnipeg Football Club or at least Winnipeg FC. 

I think the grey could look more silver. Instead of the orange on the tomahawks, try, gold, (The Jets are blue and silver and the Bombers are Blue and Gold) so maybe like an amalgamation of both teams?? Gold an dsilver together migh not work though. I'd make them smaller to. 

If I could suggest changing the "For Valour" to "Pro Valore". Its French, not only does it look cooler but its a nod to the French community

The Banners over the Victoria cross, kinda look like "W"'s to me ... could you make them stand out more ?? more silver at the edges of them I guess?

I'd make the crown and lion smaller Let the Victoria cross really be the focal point of the shield. 

I like it so far

:D dude, GREAT idea. seriously.  all I had to do was bring it to life.  Much prefer it to my original winnipeg one.

I personally disagree on the wording, but this is a small detail IMO.  It says for valour on the original V cross, so I don't see any reason to alter that but hey, like i said, it's minor.

I can easily make the banners stand out more(actually think i did on a more recent - non-uploaded version before i passed out last night), and i'll fiddle with the colours, and maybe upload a few options next time.  I can try the tomahawks gold, but personally i think there is something more authentic about them being straight up brown to look like wood. - just a bit more... I dunno... like "down to earth"/outdoor-sy as opposed to high-society(like uptight snobs who have everything gold and silver), which is more the sense I get from Winnipeg.  But that might just be me.

Tough to make the whole things hatchet's smaller, as the handles need to be visible below, but perhaps I could make the hatchet heads a bit smaller.

anyways, I'll probably do a few more tonight, let me know what you think.

And I still need some more concrete ideas for Kitchner! :D

Thanks all!

4 hours ago, ted said:

I agree actually, the axes could go and so could the FC. 

The only other really Winnipeg thing that could represent is the Golden Boy, or at least the torch he carries. I like how its starting

7 hours ago, ted said:

I think if the lion was left off too it could have the right amount of stuff

Otherwise very cool design! Different from what I envisioned when you suggested it, but I like it. 

couple more looks for winnipeg,

nothing final, just trying things out.

I do want to implore people to consider keeping the tomahawks(even if they need adjustments) because I feel like it is especially important to acknowledge our aboriginal brothers in Winnipeg.  I hear ALL THE TIME how Winnipeg is the most racist city in the country.  I know people worry about cultural appropriation, but I think as long as we avoid using traditional art we should be okay.

It's okay to acknowledge our aboriginal brothers and sisters if you talk the talk and walk the walk.  There are still a littany of issues affecting aboriginal communities(especially in the north.... Believe me) and many of them are simply insufficient infrastructure(clean water, anyone?).  It's fine to say hey, we have their back and we are in this together so it belongs on the logo if we actually go around and support policies that reflect that.  Sorry, I don't normally think politics belongs here, but for some reason I'm having a really tough time leaving out the tomahawks and just making another logo with a crown and a lion on it.

Just food for thought.

anyways, you guys will probably hate the first, it's kinda shit, but I think the second is a step in the right direction.

passin' out

jA8VK3G.png

I hardly ever post but I love this thread Guillermo and as nice as the Winnipeg logo looks on its own, the tomahawks 1) pay tribute to Winnipeg's indigenous heritage and 2) makes the logo that much more unique and kick-ass!  My two cents is to keep them outside of the logo and change their colour scheme so they pop out at you, but you know what you're doing!  Great greating job!

21 hours ago, ted said:

Ignore the glitch.

I agree that taking the lion off would clean the Winnipeg one up. Otherwise very cool design, different than I was imagining but good.

For Kitchener, I think tapping a bit into German heritage there might be a good idea.  Something with a double circle crest like a lot of the Bundesliga ones. Similar to the St. Pauli, Bayern, or the new Columbus crest (can't believe I'm saying that). It's subtle, but I think subtle references are what make crests good

12 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

couple more looks for winnipeg,

nothing final, just trying things out.

I do want to implore people to consider keeping the tomahawks(even if they need adjustments) because I feel like it is especially important to acknowledge our aboriginal brothers in Winnipeg.  I hear ALL THE TIME how Winnipeg is the most racist city in the country.  I know people worry about cultural appropriation, but I think as long as we avoid using traditional art we should be okay.

It's okay to acknowledge our aboriginal brothers and sisters if you talk the talk and walk the walk.  There are still a littany of issues affecting aboriginal communities(especially in the north.... Believe me) and many of them are simply insufficient infrastructure(clean water, anyone?).  It's fine to say hey, we have their back and we are in this together so it belongs on the logo if we actually go around and support policies that reflect that.  Sorry, I don't normally think politics belongs here, but for some reason I'm having a really tough time leaving out the tomahawks and just making another logo with a crown and a lion on it.

Just food for thought.

anyways, you guys will probably hate the first, it's kinda shit, but I think the second is a step in the right direction.

passin' out

jA8VK3G.png

How about the one on the right without the lion? I like the crown (though that might be stealing Regina's thunder), and the axes look better outside

Edit: Or the lion in place of the crown. No need to double down on royal imagery imo

On 10/09/2016 at 4:29 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Yeah, I'm a yukoner so I had to whore out yukon brewing at some point, and I believe hershel is actually a canadian company so It seemed fitting for the Rival of the MLS club in Tdot to have a uniquely canadian kit manufacturer.  But yes, at the same time I think I gravitated towards it because of Hershel island and whatnot.  I'll have to see what a pump-jack looks like.  Like I said, nothing set in stone yet, so maybe that'll be better.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the input bud! :D

No way. Whereabouts are ya from? Right in Whitehorse or out in the communities? Most of my time spend up there I lived in a cabin on the Mayo Road just south of Laberge. I last got up there this past spring.

2 hours ago, Varsity Tyler said:

No way. Whereabouts are ya from? Right in Whitehorse or out in the communities? Most of my time spend up there I lived in a cabin on the Mayo Road just south of Laberge. I last got up there this past spring.

Yeah, right in whitehorse.  Haha Mayo Road!  Nice!  

Any time you're in Whitehorse feel free to give me a shout and we can grab a pint!

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

How about the one on the right without the lion? I like the crown (though that might be stealing Regina's thunder), and the axes look better outside

Edit: Or the lion in place of the crown. No need to double down on royal imagery imo

alright, yea, I tend to agree that it's one or the other.  

added some chrome to the cross

and curious to see people's rationale for crown vs lion

3ze7i6Z.png

Perhaps the crown or lion would look good in gold?  Still could try the axehandles gold, but i really like them wooden personally.

^ Lion, crown. whatever. The last change I would suggest is the ribbon ends that fold back and down. They are just adding confusion to the design. I know they are on the medal but they really look out of place with the axeheads overlapping the cross.

36 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

6tovXEb.png

so just nix em?  I'm not really that attached to them but they were reme's suggestion and this was his idea so i left it.

edit: with them removed

PSZGYoM.png

I kinda miss the grey crown, I dunno why

I think it looks a lot cleaner this way. The grey crown is good too though, maybe the gold gives more "pop"? 

On September 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

also, little update on Moncton

personally think it's an improvement - thought a cool slogan would be something to do with the mud - "Get stuck in the mud" or something.

8cxOgLW.png

This actually looks really sweet, but I'd imagine it'd be best if there was some Francais seeing as the Acadian flag is the focal point (not to mention NB being the only bilingual province). Also, rather than singling out Moncton, maybe incorporate the cities of Dieppe and Riverview, which to an outsider are both essentially Moncton, but the locals are "regionalistic", if that is the correct term.

The Tidal Bore of the Petitcodiac ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petitcodiac_River ) is something that all 3 cities share which was one of the largest tidal bores in the world. Not sure how it translates into French though..

4 hours ago, Oranje said:

This actually looks really sweet, but I'd imagine it'd be best if there was some Francais seeing as the Acadian flag is the focal point (not to mention NB being the only bilingual province). Also, rather than singling out Moncton, maybe incorporate the cities of Dieppe and Riverview, which to an outsider are both essentially Moncton, but the locals are "regionalistic", if that is the correct term.

The Tidal Bore of the Petitcodiac ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petitcodiac_River ) is something that all 3 cities share which was one of the largest tidal bores in the world. Not sure how it translates into French though..

New Brunswick FC?

edit: or ..duh Petitcodiac FC

it already sounds french anyways

Archived