MLS 24 under 24

Obinna

The short list is out. Canadians who made the cut are: Akendele, Teibert, Osorio and Henry. Notables who missed the cut are: Morgan, Ouimette and Tissot. I never mentioned Bekker and Porter because they were born in 1990 and will be 24 this year. Same as Opare and Finlay (who have shown little/no interest anyways.

So, what do you guys think? Should we be happy at the ratio of Canadians recognized? Should we expect more? Anyone getting snubbed here (I think maybe Tissot could have a case)? Who do you predict will make the final list? It will get cut in half.

Also, look at the number of Caps in that preliminary list! Yikes, they are gonna be a force if they can keep that core together. 

The list is below. 

2014 "24 UNDER 24" SHORT LIST

• Kellyn Acosta, FC Dallas
  • Tesho Akindele, FC Dallas
  • Leandro Barrera, Chivas USA
  • Steve Birnbaum, DC United
  • Deshorn Brown, Colorado Rapids
  • Fabian Castillo, FC Dallas
  • Marky Delgado, Chivas USA
  • Mauro Diaz, FC Dallas
  • Andres Escobar, FC Dallas
  • USATSI_7909921_167725638_lowres.jpg.jpgDiego Fagundez, NE Revolution
  • Andrew Farrell, NE Revolution
  • Olmes Garcia, Real Salt Lake
  • Luis Gil, Real Salt Lake
  • Nick Hagglund, Toronto FC
  • Bill Hamid, DC United
  • Doneil Henry, Toronto FC
  • Erik Hurtado, Vancouver Whitecaps
  • Igor Juliao, Sporting KC
  • Perry Kitchen, DC United
  • Gershon Koffie, Vancouver Whitecaps
  • Matias Laba, Vancouver Whitecaps
  • Alexander Lopez, Houston Dynamo
  • Zac MacMath, Philadelphia Union
  • Felipe Martins, Montreal Impact
  • Jack McInerney, Montreal Impact
  • Kekuta Manneh, Vancouver Whitecaps
  • Patrick Mullins, NE Revolution
  • Amobi Okugo, Philadelphia Union
  • Shane O'Neill, Colorado Rapids
  • Jonathan Osorio, Toronto FC
  • Ambroise Oyongo, New York Red Bulls
  • Erik Palmer-Brown, Sporting KC
  • Joao Plata, Real Salt Lake
  • VAN_COL_01_Powers_620.jpgDillon Powers, Colorado Rapids
  • Kelyn Rowe, NE Revolution
  • Soony Saad, Sporting KC
  • Carlos Salcedo, Real Salt Lake
  • Omar Salgado, Vancouver Whitecaps
  • Kofi Sarkodie, Houston Dynamo
  • Dillon Serna, Colorado Rapids
  • Harry Shipp, Chicago Fire
  • Russell Teibert, Vancouver Whitecaps
  • Tommy Thompson, SJ Earthquakes
  • Erick Torres, Chivas USA
  • Wil Trapp, Columbus Crew
  • Victor Ulloa, FC Dallas
  • Maximiliano Urruti, Portland Timbers
  • Andrew Wenger, Philadelphia Union
  • DeAndre Yedlin, Seattle Sounders
  • Gyasi Zardes, LA Galaxy

Edit: Some players born in 1990 are included, like Jamaica's Deshorn Brown, but he is not 24 until December. So it is not clear if Bekker, who's birthday is in September, actually qualifies or not. I doubt he would have made the cut regardless but that is just my opinion.

I think you are right about Bekker, he hasn't proven that he belongs in that list. He has been a bit better for Canada and not a lot of players from that group have double digit caps for their country, but as we all know, Bekker has been very very fortunate to get most of those national team call-ups.

Spot on about Tissot in my opinion, I think he and Ouimette probably make that preliminary list if it includes 75 players and not 50. 

I don't recall if Henry or Teibert made the list last year, but I do remember that Osorio came in at 24. It will be interesting to see if he makes it this year. His stats haven't been as great but he has earned roughly the same amount of playing time while dealing with injuries and much more competition. I think he'll make it again but probably won't crack the top 20.

6 Caps on it. Salgado hasn't played much so I can only speculate the US MNT camps have impressed the people who made up this list. Total nonsense IMHO. Manneh, Gersh & RT for sure. Hurtado? Sort of on the fence about that one. Has scored 5 goals but struggles a lot. Good to see Russell making the list again. 

Laba? OMG that's right he isn't 24 yet. A DP and not 24 yet. God I hope we keep him. 

I dont think Morgan, Ouimette or Tissot are 'notable omissions'.  Quite frankly I'd be surprised if Morgan is on an MLS team next year.  

Having said that the 24 under 24 is a load of crap.

I think all 3 can be considered "notable omissions" actually. Here is why I think an argument can be made.

Morgan - Yeah he has only played like 1 minute in MLS this season, but he was also selected to play in the home-grown all star game. How can you select a player for that game while not even putting him on the 24 under 24 preliminary list? That is inconsistent. I personally think that if this list is based only on the 2014 year, it is fair to exclude him. However if you are just considering who the best 24 players under 24 years of age are, regardless of current form, should he not be at least considered?? Nonetheless, you can see why I say an argument can be made.

Ouimette/Tissot - Both of these guys, especially Tissot, are worth a mention if Carlos Salcedo (RSL) and Victor Ulloa (FCD - I actually had to look him up as I have never heard of him) are being considered. Both of these players have a similar amount of appearances as Ouimette and Tissot. Neither have scored any goals though. However, nearly all of Ulloa's appearances have been starts (all this season no less). Thus he has played more minutes than Tissot (but not Ouimette). Salcedo has a higher ratio of starts than Tissot but they mostly came last season. Ouimette has nearly identical stats to Salcedo overall but has a goal to his credit and an international cap (which is likely not very valued since we are Canada). Tissot has the most goals of the four and an assist to boot. Bottom line though is that you could certainly make a case for the MTL lads.  

Also, I think Henry deserves to crack the top 15 of this list. Do any fellow TFC fans agree?

Edit: Might as well throw out my predictions for top 15

1. Yedlin

2. Plata

3. Hamid

4. Fagundez (it's retarded he is still only 19 - has played nearly 80 MLS games already and has scored 21 goals)

5. Gil

6. Kitchen

7. Brown

8. Laba

9. Powers

10. Trapp 

11. Zardez

12. Farrell

13. Urruti

14. Koffie

15. Henry (based on shear bias and optimism)

Laba? OMG that's right he isn't 24 yet. A DP and not 24 yet. God I hope we keep him. 

Yeah, I'm curious to see how long he and few of these other guys stay in MLS.  Yedlin's gone, so who's next?  Or, which guys will be made DPs (a la SKC's Zusi and Besler).  Or, on the other hand, which guys will flare out.

Also, I think Henry deserves to crack the top 15 of this list. Do any fellow TFC fans agree?

Edit: Might as well throw out my predictions for top 15

1. Yedlin

2. Plata

3. Hamid

4. Fagundez (it's retarded he is still only 19 - has played nearly 80 MLS games already and has scored 21 goals)

5. Gil

6. Kitchen

7. Brown

8. Laba

9. Powers

10. Trapp 

11. Zardez

12. Farrell

13. Urruti

14. Koffie

15. Henry (based on shear bias and optimism)

Torres is third in league scoring and has 3 more goals (14) than Plata.

I can't believe we basically gave away Jaoa Plata- god, TFC management was soooo stupid.

It still irks me that we traded Plata for nothing at all.  He was so good for us when he joined at such a young age.  Our team would be so great right now if he was on it.  Getting rid of him was one of the more boneheaded moves in the team's history.

I hope that we get Laba back at the end of the season.  We'd have a top notch midfield with him.

Torres is far and away #1 in this league but the yanks won't let a Mexican win. 

Missed him! Okay he is clearly number 1. I don't even think the yanks are too big headed to recognize he is better than Yedlin, could be wrong though. He got called into the Mexican NT recently btw.

I think all 3 can be considered "notable omissions" actually. Here is why I think an argument can be made.

Morgan - Yeah he has only played like 1 minute in MLS this season, but he was also selected to play in the home-grown all star game. How can you select a player for that game while not even putting him on the 24 under 24 preliminary list? That is inconsistent. I personally think that if this list is based only on the 2014 year, it is fair to exclude him. However if you are just considering who the best 24 players under 24 years of age are, regardless of current form, should he not be at least considered?? Nonetheless, you can see why I say an argument can be made.

Ouimette/Tissot - Both of these guys, especially Tissot, are worth a mention if Carlos Salcedo (RSL) and Victor Ulloa (FCD - I actually had to look him up as I have never heard of him) are being considered. Both of these players have a similar amount of appearances as Ouimette and Tissot. Neither have scored any goals though. However, nearly all of Ulloa's appearances have been starts (all this season no less). Thus he has played more minutes than Tissot (but not Ouimette). Salcedo has a higher ratio of starts than Tissot but they mostly came last season. Ouimette has nearly identical stats to Salcedo overall but has a goal to his credit and an international cap (which is likely not very valued since we are Canada). Tissot has the most goals of the four and an assist to boot. Bottom line though is that you could certainly make a case for the MTL lads.  

Quite honestly Morgan is not good enough.  The only reason he played so much before was that he had an upside and the team wasnt very good.  Your seeing the same with the Mtl. lads.  They may turn into something, but currently they get the playing time because there is no one better.

Just being honest. 

• 4 weeks later...

1 DeAndre Yedlin Seattle Sounders 2 Erick "Cubo" Torres Chivas USA 3 Fabian Castillo FC Dallas 4 Gyasi Zardes LA Galaxy 5 Diego Fagundez New England Revolution 6 Mauro Diaz FC Dallas 7 Joao Plata Real Salt Lake 8 Luis Gil Real Salt Lake 9 Wil Trapp Columbus Crew 10 Bill Hamid D.C. United 11 Dillon Powers Colorado Rapids 12 Kekuta Manneh Vancouver Whitecaps 13 Amobi Okugo Philadelphia Union 14 Andrew Farrell New England Revolution 15 Matias Laba Vancouver Whitecaps 16 Kelyn Rowe New England Revolution 17 Harry Shipp Chicago Fire 18 Perry Kitchen D.C. United 19 Shane O'Neill Colorado Rapids 20 Deshorn Brown Colorado Rapids 21 Olmes Garcia Real Salt Lake 22 Gershon Koffie Vancouver Whitecaps 23 Tesho Akindele FC Dallas 24 Russell Teibert Vancouver Whitecaps

Teibert was on the list last year, so wouldn't say that. Osario should be on there somewhere. Menneh is over rated on this list, and Laba should be rated a lot higher, IMO he's already top 3 in the league at his position. If I had to pick 1 player on this list to build a team around it be Diaz, Fagundez, Zardes, or Laba, so I would put him top 5 IMO.

Honestly, after the about the first 15 guys which are pretty much all top players in the league at their position (Menneh aside), despite their age, there's probably not a lot that separates the players from 16th - 50th (i.e. the rest of their shortlist). Most of the guys top 15 will likely go onto be stars in the league, or earn a transfer to a more competitive level, where as most of the guys from 16-50 will probably go onto to be good, but not great career MLSer's.

Archived