The End of the NDS Reign of Incompetence

Grizzly

Apparently Nick De Santis has been fired/resigned. Major news conference that is not player related tomorrow. Rumour has it that Klopas will take over as Sports Director and Biello will become head coach. Maybe it has been worthwhile having this terrible season after all just to make sure NDS is not dragging us down for the next decade. Put him in the category with Colin Miller as guys who should never get a job in Canadian soccer again. 

That's football. At many clubs in South America this would be considered patient.

Its actually pretty normal until you find the right manager.

Its better to get rid of a manager that is not working out over letting him stay on.

I like this move - something obviously had to be done.  Also like the view that Saputo gave in his interview today - Frank can play youth as much as he likes from now on to put his young players to the test. Good opportunity to see what the youth can do.  I'd like to see more of McCallum and Miller and Tissot on the pitch.

I'm sure if anyone cared to interview Marsch and Marco (and if they weren't mummed until their salaries run out) they'd agree that there were some problems.

I would like to see Mallace cut from the team. Not MLS quality. Runs around a lot without doing much of anything and not much skill and is a constant red card risk with his rash tackles. He has received far too much playing time already and I do not see any potential in him at all especially since he is already 24. We have too many guys like this on the team and we need to get rid of them. If Tissot is not starting he should be brought on late in games instead of Mallace because he is equally as energetic and good at destroying plays but is also capable of passing the ball, maintaining possession and moving up the field offensively.

Fair enough - but these guys need a solid run-out in order to prove they are worthless.  I like Klopas' comment about trading within MLS.  The league is likely too strong for these young guys, but they need a run-out of games to demonstrate that they are good enough.  Tissot did well on the weekend, hardly put in a wrong foot.

TFC now has some quality on the bench pushing the established guys.  Montreal needs a few more quality guys, and a few more young guys pushing things.  Vancouver also doing well in that regard.

One could make a lot of criticisms of Montreal this year but one criticism that one can not make is that not everyone has got a fair shot at playing time. They have constantly juggled the lineup and given bench players a chance in an effort to find a winning combination. Some of the players have shown potential like Tissot, Miller and Ouiemette, one has totally surprised by playing far better than he ever did, Romero while others have not shown much at all like Mallace and Lefevre. The problem with the Impact is not that we are lacking bench depth players it is that we are lacking bonafide MLS starters and that too many of our starters should be substitutes. We don't need depth we need quality. Unfortunately getting bonafide starters is harder than trading for depth players. Piatti should be a help and push Felipe to the bench where he belongs (I like Felipe but he is not an MLS starting central attacking midfielder but he could be effective for 20 minutes late in the game). We also need an upgrade over Pearce at CB who again would be an ok backup but not a starter. By next year we need a replacement for Ferrari also whose game is declining. The only guy on the backline I am comfortable with now is Camara who has been a lot more responsible this year than he was last.

"Another problem with De Santis’ recruitment (and this goes back to his not being surrounded enough) is that, save for Jordan, who closely follows U.S. college soccer, the Impact don’t have a single scout on their payroll."

For real? That's absolutely insane, no matter the sport, no matter which level.

How can anybody have believed that this would be an ok state of affairs further than the expansion draft?

"Another problem with De Santis’ recruitment (and this goes back to his not being surrounded enough) is that, save for Jordan, who closely follows U.S. college soccer, the Impact don’t have a single scout on their payroll."

How can anybody have believed that this would be an ok state of affairs further than the expansion draft?

That is what happens when your owner hires his friends to run the team and never fires them despite screw up after screw up that always gets blamed on someone else who gets fired. That we had no scouts does not surprise me in the slightest. Why waste money for someone to give you advice when no one is listening anyway?

I don't know what it looks like currently, but about a decade ago there were only 2-3 dedicated club scouts in the entire league.  There was huge reliance on central scouting through the league.  Seems pretty asinine to me -how do you ever get better doing the same thing as everyone else? - but that was how it worked? It was funny to watch MLS GMs talk about all the scouting they were doing when the reality of it was they were just taking whatever the league office threw their way. 

I know at the bigger clubs things have changed to a certain extent.  But as a whole, it wouldn't surprise me if teams like NE, Columbus, or Chvias didn't employ any scouts whatsoever.

Archived