Toronto FC @ Vancouver Whitecaps - May 14th

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great games tonight, is the tourny suspended next year? Such a shame as it's been so fun to watch.

Not suspended, just moved to July(ish) 2015, but winner plays in 2016/17 CCL

2015/16 CCL - best placed Canadian MLS team in the 2014 regular season.

I'd have to agree. Very disinterested. Probably hoping just to avoid an injury before US camp. Final wouldn't mean much to him as he's not around anyway

I have felt this way since he came back from his injury (minus about the last 20 minutes against Vancouver in the 1st leg).

I knew it was going to be long night after TFC went into their bunker mode after their goal.

TFC should have won this series easily on paper based on the line ups. That being said I think Vancouver would have advanced had they not used Carducci (he has potential but he is not ready).

It will be interesting to see how the final plays out with two of MLS' poorly performing teams going head to head.

I have felt this way since he came back from his injury (minus about the last 20 minutes against Vancouver in the 1st leg).

I knew it was going to be long night after TFC went into their bunker mode after their goal.

TFC should have won this series easily on paper based on the line ups. That being said I think Vancouver would have advanced had they not used Carducci (he has potential but he is not ready).

It will be interesting to see how the final plays out with two of MLS' poorly performing teams going head to head.

Thank you for your point on Bradley! Is it not painfully obvious to everyone that this guy isn't going all out?? It hurts even more to see the commentators praise him at every turn.  I think the guy is the best player in MLS when he's on but he hasn't been. 

If Bradley is going all out then we seriously need to rescind his contract because he definitely didn't look like a "World Class player" as Kurt Larson likes to put it against two U22 midfielders over these two legs.  And the commentators just keep complimenting him with every little play he makes, give me a break!  Even when he gave away a pass in the first half the commentators said it was Bekker LOL. 

This guy's mind has been at the World Cup ever since the Columbus match.

I need to disagree on Carducci not starting = Vancouver winning.  The kid was clearly fouled on the first goal last night AND it was offside.  He made 3 stops on shots that should have been goals.. that puts him at a +3 on the night for me.  Sure maybe there are other aspects he could have been better but none that cost Vancouver here.  And in the first leg?  If you put Defoe 1 v 1 with any keeper in the league its going to be a goal 9/10 times.  And on the Bradley goal maybe he didn't play it the best but it's still a clear cut chance that is tucked away nicely. 

Thank you for your point on Bradley! Is it not painfully obvious to everyone that this guy isn't going all out??

If Bradley is going all out then we seriously need to rescind his contract because he definitely didn't look like a "World Class player" as Kurt Larson likes to put it against two U22 midfielders over these two legs.  And the commentators just keep complimenting him with every little play he makes, give me a break!  Even when he gave away a pass in the first half the commentators said it was Bekker LOL. 

This guy's mind has been at the World Cup ever since the Columbus match.

I sort of feel a little ripped off as a TFC fan.

The guy appears to be mailing it in pre-World Cup. Meanwhile TFC has been dropping key points the last few weeks.

I sort of feel a little ripped off as a TFC fan.

The guy appears to be mailing it in pre-World Cup. Meanwhile TFC has been dropping key points the last few weeks.

He knows he's dogging it too.  You don't hear him being all "ra ra" in interviews as he was when he was playing on fire at the beginning of the year.  I don't think a guy like Bradley could stomach lying to himself, he has integrity.  If the situation were reversed and Hutchinson was dogging it for NYRB (as an example) before Canada goes to the World Cup I can't say I would blame him either, it just sucks but we knew this would happen.

He knows he's dogging it too.  You don't hear him being all "ra ra" in interviews as he was when he was playing on fire at the beginning of the year.  I don't think a guy like Bradley could stomach lying to himself, he has integrity.  If the situation were reversed and Hutchinson was dogging it for NYRB (as an example) before Canada goes to the World Cup I can't say I would blame him either, it just sucks but we knew this would happen.

The more shocking thing is how the media and TFC fans are giving him a pass.

The more shocking thing is how the media and TFC fans are giving him a pass.

From what I've seen/heard the only people who aren't giving him a pass are the people who don't know his name/reputation.  Fans behind me at the New England match were saying how TFC wasted a DP spot on this "Bradley guy" and while I don't agree with that I can see where they're coming from.  If it was my first time seeing Bradley I wouldn't believe he made $6 million+

The honeymoon is over kids!  Time to wake up.  We've lost 4 of our last 5 and the only game we did win was a 2-1 win at home to an academy team. 

TFC should have won this series easily on paper based on the line ups.

On the line-ups for first leg, yes. Not so sure about the second, Vancouver pretty much had as much of their first team out there as Toronto did given all of the TFC starters that were rested.

On the line-ups for first leg, yes. Not so sure about the second, Vancouver pretty much had as much of their first team out there as Toronto did given all of the TFC starters that were rested.

Didn't they only make 2 changes to the starting line up from the week before?

Sure, once they made their subs their line up was closer to a first team.

Besides, other than Lovitz, most of TFC starters were at least the equivalent of the player being rested (ex. Issey v. Jackson). Everyone who played for TFC is a significant player who will be getting important minutes this season.

TFC still had 2 DPs in for most of the game as well.

Great game. Alderson played a lot better last night. He was very effective and while Laba was better when he came on but that is what you expect from a DP. Carducci's judgement will improve but his angles on shots is excellent already. Teibert was his usual energizer bunny out there and swung the ball side to side great.

Too bad we lost but still a great game to watch. 18k for a midweek, non-league game and even with the loss I'm betting the vast majority went home going "wow".

Didn't they only make 2 changes to the starting line up from the week before?

Yes, but you have to add to that Toronto making a lot more as well. By my count 7 regular TFC starters didn't start (Defoe, Jackson, Rey, Caldwell, Bloom, Morrow, Cesar) and 6 of them didn't feature at all. Not exactly what I'd call our "A" team vs. their "B" team. 

Looking back I don't think Issey's winning penalty should have stood.  Does he not stop?  Rather than stuttering ala Bernier

Nah. I can't imagine a single Ref in the world who would have ordered a re-take on that, not even the incompetent ones that featured in both semi-finals. You'd probably have a stronger argument for the Moore penalty (or Berniers), but even then you see them allow that stuff all the time.

Yes, but you have to add to that Toronto making a lot more as well. By my count 7 regular TFC starters didn't start (Defoe, Jackson, Rey, Caldwell, Bloom, Morrow, Cesar) and 6 of them didn't feature at all. Not exactly what I'd call our "A" team vs. their "B" team. 

Other than Defoe I don't think you lose much replacing any of those players with their alternate. And in the case of adding in Issey I think that is a gain.

Nah. I can't imagine a single Ref in the world who would have ordered a re-take on that, not even the incompetent ones that featured in both semi-finals. You'd probably have a stronger argument for the Moore penalty (or Berniers), but even then you see them allow that stuff all the time.

I thought stopping was allowed, just no backward motion?  Laws of the game aren't exactly clear on it.  Though in looking, I did get reminded that a player taking a spot-kick can't score on his own rebound if it comes off the bar/post without anyone else touching it!

Other than Defoe I don't think you lose much replacing any of those players with their alternate. And in the case of adding in Issey I think that is a gain.

But that is a good thing, isn't it?  When in the past 7 years could you have said that?

I think that penalty-takers are given far too much liberty with the interpretation of the stutter-step rule. I thought Bernier's was bad, but Moore's was far worse. And even if it was deemed illegal, the punishment is retaking the penalty, which has something like an 80% success rate. There really is no disadvantage to a penalty-taker to take a blatantly illegal kick.

I think that penalty-takers are given far too much liberty with the interpretation of the stutter-step rule. I thought Bernier's was bad, but Moore's was far worse. And even if it was deemed illegal, the punishment is retaking the penalty, which has something like an 80% success rate. There really is no disadvantage to a penalty-taker to take a blatantly illegal kick.

Well, you do look like a complete goof if it gets saved.  :)

I see DeRo got into the game and almost became the match winner prior to the penalties with his excellent turn and shot off the post.  So, as I said in the other thread here, if he's not starting how much longer is he going to be the consummate team guy?

He must realize he can no longer play any other role than the super-sub. He was invisible in his time on the pitch apart from the one attempt that struck the post. He needs to be more involved in the proceedings if he's ever going to be a starter again, for Canada or Toronto.

Archived