Canada vs USA - Thursday May 8th in Winnipeg

The reason for this is that the tickets that were set aside strictly for The Voyageurs have now been released to the public, however section 144 is now purely GA despite tickets having row and seat numbers. Security knows this, you DO NOT HAVE TO SIT IN YOUR ASSIGNED SEAT! If they give anyone ANY flak in sec 144 I'll call Dominic over and he will straighten it out for us. He's the Marketing Director for the CSA.

On another note, the section set up for this match was a complete shit show and it wasn't the CSA's fault. I'll leave it at that. Oh, and I don't need a ticket for 144 anymore.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason for this is that the tickets that were set aside strictly for The Voyageurs have now been released to the public, however section 144 is now purely GA despite tickets having row and seat numbers. Security knows this, you DO NOT HAVE TO SIT IN YOUR ASSIGNED SEAT! If they give anyone ANY flak in sec 144 I'll call Dominic over and he will straighten it out for us. He's the Marketing Director for the CSA.

On another note, the section set up for this match was a complete shit show and it wasn't the CSA's fault. I'll leave it at that. Oh, and I don't need a ticket for 144 anymore.

You know, I had a funny feeling about that. We weren't able to get at that section for the presale and then there were virtually no tickets left there when it went on sale to the general public. Hmmmmm....I guess we will talk more at pre-game. See you guys at Tavern United about mid afternoon then? 

On another note, the section set up for this match was a complete shit show

Haha, that's putting it MILDLY! Sadly, such is often the case when dealing with the Blue and Gold, as many here in the peg know.

On the plus side, should be a good turn out! I'm in 138 with my fam/friends, so maybe we'll pip over at half time for a visit!

Back from the game. This is not a city used to big soccer games so the crowd felt subdued. The release in the 1st half was the goal, of course, and booing the ref and Wambach. Apart from the turf bounces, and Leroux, it was a pretty fantastic time.  The place was ready to go off if that Sinclair chance had gone in. Good turnout, I thought, announced at 28k.

That assistant call on MacLeod for handling the ball was totally out to lunch.  The TV replay clearly shows that the last instant where her hand was touching the ball was way inside the penalty area.  To me that the assistant was out of position of simply needs to review the Laws of Game.  

Kadeisha Buchanan and Sura Yeka the best players of the lot.  Diana Matheson at times. 

That assistant call on MacLeod for handling the ball was totally out to lunch.  The TV replay clearly shows that the last instant where her hand was touching the ball was way inside the penalty area.  To me that the assistant was out of position of simply needs to review the Laws of Game.  

The AR was following the directions of Referee Wambach ;)

This was one of the finest soccer games I have seen,these girls have a lot to show and even skill wise it was an eye opener.The level of determination and commitment was also unbelievable and I wish TFC would play the same style,these girls are that good and coached superbly.Goodies ladies you are the best.I was also very impressed by the pro Canada crowd who never seemed to stop supporting our girls,some show and some amazing and well deserved support.

Hey Rob, it appears that the most famous soccer fans in Winnipeg are actually from Saskatchewan. Check out the article in the Winnipeg Sun sports section today with you guys celebrating our goal. Totally agree that it was a great time at the game and hanging out with you guys and the Winnipeg Vs last night. Big shout out to dsqpr for being a great tour guide and awesome ambassador for the fine city of Winnipeg. 

I have some thoughts about the game, including that Buchanan was awesome, the pitch didn't play that great but the place looked great, the Vs corner did a great job and I should really be there next time, the fans were not really a soccer crowd but did a nice job getting into it, Sinclair might not be the same player as before but can still create chances from seemingly nothing, the young defense crew is reason for hope, Winnipeg loves slide tackles, Kadeisha Buchanan forever, etc.

I go into a lot more detail here: 

http://oot-football.blogspot.com/2014/05/canada-1-usa-1-notes.html

I have some thoughts about the game, including that Buchanan was awesome, the pitch didn't play that great but the place looked great, the Vs corner did a great job and I should really be there next time, the fans were not really a soccer crowd but did a nice job getting into it, Sinclair might not be the same player as before but can still create chances from seemingly nothing, the young defense crew is reason for hope, Winnipeg loves slide tackles, Kadeisha Buchanan forever, etc.

I go into a lot more detail here: 

http://oot-football.blogspot.com/2014/05/canada-1-usa-1-notes.html

In your notes you say that Leroux's goal was the fault of Rebecca Quin.  I disagree, IMO the fault lies on Wilkinson who was ball watching and not marking Leroux.

In your notes you say that Leroux's goal was the fault of Rebecca Quin.  I disagree, IMO the fault lies on Wilkinson who was ball watching and not marking Leroux.

That's a good point, and I didn't mean to fault Quinn for the goal, just to point out that her attempted headed clearance did not go as she intended, and was one of few missteps she made in the match. Poorly worded.

I don't think she was ball watching. I think she thought the ball was going to drop in and she was trying to make a play on it. Quinn probably should have been chasing it herself instead of waiting to make a header that wasn't really there, leaving Wilkinson without the difficult decision of whether to hold her position or try to back up the CB. The fact that Quinn didn't make good contact speaks to the fact that it was just one of those in-between balls that can cause real problems, especially when everybody is dead tired.

"Erin McLeod was solid without having to be spectacular."

You must have been out getting a beer when she made that first half save.

I only saw TV highlights later. The angles were hard to judge from where I was sitting. Turns out it was pretty awesome...

I thought Quinn was outstanding in the back. For a 18 year old playing against one of the best teams in the World, she was great,

She could be a leader in the back a few years down the road.

Archived