Canada vs USA - Thursday May 8th in Winnipeg

After a quick run through of the seating selection map, there are a dozen or so sections in the lower bowl that are completely sold out, 26 more that only have a few seats left in them, and 8 or so that have quite a few tickets (in the end zones only). This represents the entire lower bowl. If the seat map shows seats that are actually bought and paid for then I think the 18,000 number is ann accurate number of sold seats.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like ticket sales for this are still steaming right along. There are only a few hundred tickets left in the lower bowl and there are now 13 out of 30 of the upper deck sections available for purchasing tickets (originally there were only 5 open sections).

It would be unbelievable if this sold out.

You know, even though people in the section might not be hardcores, I'm sure they'd still participate in one massive tifo activity at the beginning of the game when the players come out. We should consider finding out the dimensions of the lower bowl seats and creating a massive flag (whatever you call the huge things that people hold over their heads pre-match) to cover the section, something epic for the ladies. Any interest in doing one massive group tifo? It'd be a great way to get everyone in the section into things right away.

Sting, Cheeta, Doug, could you guys either give me a call or shoot me a text. 306 370 7930. We're putting together a plan for this game and want to run a few ideas by you guys for how this could work. Not sure if it'll go anywhere, but we're investigating getting a temporary capo stand set up between sections 143 & 144.

You know, even though people in the section might not be hardcores, I'm sure they'd still participate in one massive tifo activity at the beginning of the game when the players come out. We should consider finding out the dimensions of the lower bowl seats and creating a massive flag (whatever you call the huge things that people hold over their heads pre-match) to cover the section, something epic for the ladies. Any interest in doing one massive group tifo? It'd be a great way to get everyone in the section into things right away.

I happened to see this photo on the Atletico Madrid website about the TIFO display that they put on when they recently hosted the derby game against Real Madrid. I realize that this is probably well beyond our ways and means but it could serve as some inspiration for what is possible.

http://en.clubatleticodemadrid.com/galerias/an-amazing-tifo-received-the-team-when-they-come-out-to-the-ground-thanks-atleti-s-supporters

Does everyone think it'd be easier to do it as individual pieces that as one huge banner to hold over everyone's head? I suppose the individual pieces would block less of a person's view, which they'd like. The huge banner though removes all chance for people screwing up or not holding theirs up.

Does everyone think it'd be easier to do it as individual pieces that as one huge banner to hold over everyone's head? I suppose the individual pieces would block less of a person's view, which they'd like. The huge banner though removes all chance for people screwing up or not holding theirs up.

True. There are positives to both. As we discussed, the benefits of cards vs. banner (IMHO) are ease of creation, transport, and setup. However, a huge banner would be pretty cool as well. No idea on the cost comparisons between the two ideas.

~320 seats in section 144. Didn't count 143.

Glad you like 'em but you know United didn't put you there because that is the best place to support your team!

Ever been to Newcastle? The away section is about a mile away from the pitch. Forget binoculars, bring a telescope.

St. James Park? Nah you can see fine up there.

From what I'm reading in this thread, I'd assume the seats in 144 were sold to the general public. You guys will need to be on the ball in terms of setting expectations for security ahead of time if you hope to be able to stand and wave your flags. I say "you" because I'm not in that section. Just a "heads up" as I foresee trouble at game time.

We need to improve the "Supporters Section" terminology because it does not convey the madness that ensues.

Something like "Standing Section" would be better as that would at least convey the idea that you will be on your feet for 90 mins and would discourage people who don't belong.

Yes I believe you are right. General public. We are thinking quite seriously about trying to get them going anyway. Call it supporters education :)

True. There are positives to both. As we discussed, the benefits of cards vs. banner (IMHO) are ease of creation, transport, and setup. However, a huge banner would be pretty cool as well. No idea on the cost comparisons between the two ideas.

~320 seats in section 144. Didn't count 143.

My thinking is that the cards will be best. I suspect they will be much cheaper than the fabric needed to make a huge flag plus there doesn't need to be any sewing skill involved. There is the possibility to buy a ready made 12' x 24" for $299 from these guys:

http://ocanadagear.com/pridegear.htm

The cards would be easier to create and transport for sure but let's talk some more and see which way we go. If we do cards we would need to know how much surface area each seat covers so that we don't have big gaps or too much overlap.

I have worked with Joe from O'Canada Gear before for soccer matches in Edmonton and might be able to swing a deal or see if he has anything else that would work for TIFO. He is a great guy and has always treated us right.

"That is great and I'm sure many will be on board but by the same token you are bound to have some nay-sayers who will complain to the stewards. What happens next will depend on how well prepared you are!"

Well if they bought through TM by going through the CSA link they were warned. If they want to b**ch about it they shouldn't be there in the first place. Bloody rookies!

Yes I believe you are right. General public. We are thinking quite seriously about trying to get them going anyway. Call it supporters education :)

Hopefully those who purchased tickets read this description:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s-women-s-national-team-vs-usa--p155851

Canadian Supporters

Canadian Supporters who wish to sit in the designated ‘Canadian Supporters Section’ in Section 144 can purchase directly through the Ticketmaster event page by accessing the drop down menu.

In this section, persistent standing will be permitted throughout the matches, as well as use of pre-approved flags, banners and drums. Fans who choose to purchase tickets in these sections should understand that their view may be obstructed during the match.

Unfortunately when you click the link and go to Ticketmaster the information about what this section is meant to be is almost non existent:

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/11004C4A811E87DE

What we've got here is failure to communicate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_we've_got_here_is_(a)_failure_to_communicate

So who owns this? Is it the CSA, Ticketmaster or the Voyageurs? If we had stepped up and got involved in ticket distribution like last June at BMO then this could have been prevented or at least mitigated. I think we need to get our collective s**t together for the remaining CWNT friendlies that have been announced for this year.

Hopefully those who purchased tickets read this description:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s-women-s-national-team-vs-usa--p155851

Canadian Supporters

Canadian Supporters who wish to sit in the designated ‘Canadian Supporters Section’ in Section 144 can purchase directly through the Ticketmaster event page by accessing the drop down menu.

In this section, persistent standing will be permitted throughout the matches, as well as use of pre-approved flags, banners and drums. Fans who choose to purchase tickets in these sections should understand that their view may be obstructed during the match.

Unfortunately when you click the link and go to Ticketmaster the information about what this section is meant to be is almost non existent:

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/11004C4A811E87DE

What we've got here is failure to communicate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_we've_got_here_is_(a)_failure_to_communicate

So who owns this? Is it the CSA, Ticketmaster or the Voyageurs? If we had stepped up and got involved in ticket distribution like last June at BMO then this could have been prevented or at least mitigated. I think we need to get our collective s**t together for the remaining CWNT friendlies that have been announced for this year.

A couple of things:

Dsqpr - agree with all you've said above. Tuscan is on this ... At least he has said he is trying to get in touch with the IG field ppl to get the ball rolling ahead of time. Although any other suggestions or local info/contacts you have would be most appreciated.

Shaman - I personally like the card idea (plus it would give us the opportunity to put instructions/disclaimers on the back) but a big banner/flag would also be cool. Either way, a way to break the ice and get ppl participating is something we need. I doubt most ppl read the supporters section description so we might aim for getting ppl going in fits and starts so as not to tick them all off.

Also, I hear you on the ticketing situation but I have heard (although admittedly this is 3rd or 4th hand) and this was an accidental oversight and that there are also some announcements on the horizon.

I've not heard a word from the BlueBombers staff person who looks after stadium operations for Inverstors Group Field. From what I understand only the Bombers actually control stadium operations for all events, but if someone knows the actual person to contact then please let me know. I'm working on both making sure security is aware of what at least section 144 is going to be like, and hopefully section 143 as well since there seems to be a decent amount of Vs who are going to be standing there as well. I'm also working on either getting a free-standing capo stand to sit between 143 & 144 or at least make sure security is aware there will be at least one, but preferably two individuals who will be standing at the split between those two sections. To be honest I am not optimistic at all that this game will go smooth, and am in full agreement with Doug - we are going to have issues in 144 no matter what. Let's at least try and mitigate them as best we can.

• 2 weeks later...

We've at least got a game plan moving forward on what we're going to do in regards to making sure stadium security leaves us alone. Rob's working on the tifo plan as well. Everyone just concentrate on getting to the match, the rest is being taken care of.

• 4 weeks later...

So the stadium has had some issues in that the original design didn't really account for many aspects of Winnipeg's climate (plumbing not properly insulated, not accounting for spring melt, etc.)

This article lays it out, but also says there are no worries regarding the game going ahead:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/soccer-match-at-stadium-still-a-go-255278591.html

One wince inducing line: The game, dubbed the Women's International Friendly, featuring Winnipegger Desiree Scott and captain Christine Sinclair on the home side, marks the first time the women's national team has hosted a game in Winnipeg since 1990.

But the interesting detail is that after the impressive opening-day sales of 18,000 ticket requests, total sales have only climbed to 22,500. I'd expect that to jump a bit in the next few weeks as people start to think about spring (currently -11 C here with plenty of snow on the ground) and as youth soccer teams have their first practices and games and arrange further group buys. My prediction is 28,000 (capacity is 33,500)

Guest ClaytonA

Same old Winnipeg Free Press as 24 years ago...articles bringing up negatives and asking questions of whether the event will go/how it will do...

Canada hosted a 3 team tournament with Norway, US, and ourselves.  It consisted of four games over a week and WFP used captions like "Program facing brand new challenge" etc. when it bothered to cover the event.  It merited two pictures and two articles and the Canada-US game wasn't even reported on or any score provided.

The internet really has been great for soccer fans who want info and not to be dumped on all the time.

From American Soccer History Archives (only US goal scorers noted):

Jul 29 90  W 4-2  Norway                     Winnipeg, Canada
               Jennings, Akers-Stahl, Heinrichs (2)
Jul 27 90  W 4-1  Canada                     Winnipeg, Canada
               Lilly, Jennings, Hamm, Hebauer
Jul 25 90  W 4-0  Norway                     Winnipeg, Canada
               Jennings, Akers-Stahl, Heinrichs, Hamm

Also Canada lost to Norway 0-2 on July 23, 1990.

Here's an ad for the event:

International Double-Header
Men's Olympic Teams and National Women's Teams
From Canada and USA
Friday July 27, 1990
Winnipeg Soccer Complex
(Waverly St. & Victor Lewis Drive)
canada vs USA Women's Teams 6:30 p.m.
Canada vs USA Olympic Teams 8:30 p.m.

Tickets are $10 for 18 years and over and $5 for under 18.
Pre-sale tickets available at the Manitoba Soccer Association
(200 Main St., Winnipeg) and at Winnipeg Fury games.

International Women's Invitational
Canada - Norway - USA

Games at Winnipeg Soccer Complex             Ticket Prices
Monday       July 23 Canada vs Norway 7:30pm    Women's tournament July 23, 25, 29
Wednesday July 25 Norway vs USA      7:30pm    $5    18 years of age and older
*Friday        July 27 Canada vs USA      6:30pm    $2    under 18
Sunday       July 29 Women's Final        7:30pm    Available only at the gate on game day.

*Double header with Men's Olympic Teams from Canada and USA.
                                                                              Double-header Women's & Olympic Matches
                                                                              $10    18 years of age and older
                                                                               $5      under 18

To be fair, this article is dumping on the stadium, not the game. The stadium is pretty awesome with a few minor problems that are being fixed. The bigger problems are regarding the cost projections and overruns, which are a major problem in this city (developer mayor...)

The game will be fine and I expect positive coverage pre- and post-match.

Same old Winnipeg Free Press as 24 years ago...articles bringing up negatives and asking questions of whether the event will go/how it will do...

Canada hosted a 3 team tournament with Norway, US, and ourselves.  It consisted of four games over a week and WFP used captions like "Program facing brand new challenge" etc. when it bothered to cover the event.  It merited two pictures and two articles and the Canada-US game wasn't even reported on or any score provided.

The internet really has been great for soccer fans who want info and not to be dumped on all the time.

From American Soccer History Archives (only US goal scorers noted):

Jul 29 90  W 4-2  Norway                     Winnipeg, Canada
               Jennings, Akers-Stahl, Heinrichs (2)
Jul 27 90  W 4-1  Canada                     Winnipeg, Canada
               Lilly, Jennings, Hamm, Hebauer
Jul 25 90  W 4-0  Norway                     Winnipeg, Canada
               Jennings, Akers-Stahl, Heinrichs, Hamm

Also Canada lost to Norway 0-2 on July 23, 1990.

Here's an ad for the event:

International Double-Header
Men's Olympic Teams and National Women's Teams
From Canada and USA
Friday July 27, 1990
Winnipeg Soccer Complex
(Waverly St. & Victor Lewis Drive)
canada vs USA Women's Teams 6:30 p.m.
Canada vs USA Olympic Teams 8:30 p.m.

Tickets are $10 for 18 years and over and $5 for under 18.
Pre-sale tickets available at the Manitoba Soccer Association
(200 Main St., Winnipeg) and at Winnipeg Fury games.

International Women's Invitational
Canada - Norway - USA

Games at Winnipeg Soccer Complex             Ticket Prices
Monday       July 23 Canada vs Norway 7:30pm    Women's tournament July 23, 25, 29
Wednesday July 25 Norway vs USA      7:30pm    $5    18 years of age and older
*Friday        July 27 Canada vs USA      6:30pm    $2    under 18
Sunday       July 29 Women's Final        7:30pm    Available only at the gate on game day.

*Double header with Men's Olympic Teams from Canada and USA.
                                                                              Double-header Women's & Olympic Matches
                                                                              $10    18 years of age and older
                                                                               $5      under 18

On March 17th Tuscan said that, "Rob's working on the TIFO plan". Do we now have a finalized plan? Is there any assistance required from anyone other than the Saskatchewan Vs?

Pardon the format, but I can't seem to get the Quote function to work. Not sure what the heck the reason for that is.........

Umberto and I are taking the early flight out of Edmonton and will arrive in Winnipeg at 9:09 AM on May 8th. We should have plenty of time to get involved with whatever is going to happen that day. I will be sticking around until Saturday but Bert needs to get back home on Friday. Are we still thinking about TIFO with individual red and white cards or have we moved on to something else?

Archived