Canada vs USA - Thursday May 8th in Winnipeg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this game, but my goodness I hope they have this mess cleaned up soon with all the rainfall.  Apparently the stadium lower bowl / ground is under a foot of water and we are only 9 days away.  I seriously hope the event is not cancelled.

2d80t9u.jpg

Well I'm now not sure a TIFO will be happening. We had heard that there was going to be some kind of supporters section ticket exchange thing but with a week to go it looks like that isn't going to happen. Jeff and I talked about it and it looks like we might just go and watch and try to do a little of the supporter thing. We had big plans but there has been a ton of uncertainty around this game. Still it will be good to be there.

Is there any pre/post party stuff in the works?

Well I'm now not sure a TIFO will be happening. We had heard that there was going to be some kind of supporters section ticket exchange thing but with a week to go it looks like that isn't going to happen. Jeff and I talked about it and it looks like we might just go and watch and try to do a little of the supporter thing. We had big plans but there has been a ton of uncertainty around this game. Still it will be good to be there.

Is there any pre/post party stuff in the works?

Just surprised at the sound of crickets on this topic. Just one week away and you would think that there exists only a handful of Winnipeg Vs, with an even smaller subset of them supporting frauen fussball, and apparently not a single one that drinks beer in connection with supporting soccer. Is this going to fall on Jeff and Rob to organize too, or even (shudder) an Alberta V? 

Speaking for myself, I will be going to the game with a big crew of non-Vs. I personally won't be going to any pre-drinking, as it will be enough trouble just getting to the game on time from my work, which is out of town. Even if the Voyageurs section might not be hopping, remember that this is a city that has not seen international soccer since 2000 and has no pro team to help organize support.

I think we ought to be encouraged that 25k tickets have already been sold in a walk-up town for an event in May (game temps will likely be around 7 C) in a stadium that everybody claims to hate to drive to.

Maybe it's un-supporter of me but I consider having a big pro-Canada crowd quite a bit more important than organizing a large diehard section.

Just surprised at the sound of crickets on this topic. Just one week away and you would think that there exists only a handful of Winnipeg Vs, with an even smaller subset of them supporting frauen fussball, and apparently not a single one that drinks beer in connection with supporting soccer. Is this going to fall on Jeff and Rob to organize too, or even (shudder) an Alberta V? 

Maybe it's un-supporter of me but I consider having a big pro-Canada crowd quite a bit more important than organizing a large diehard section.

I am very gratified by the total ticket sales as well and I concluded a long time ago that the "supporter's section" would be mostly filled with people that probably don't know what they signed up for. But for the few (maybe very few?) of us that take these games very seriously, it would be nice to have at least a little bit of guidance on where to meet up with like minded folks. If no such guidance will be forthcoming, I am perfectly capable of using my spidey sense and sleuthing out a location. 

There are a few places on Pembina Highway, within walking distance of the stadium (about a mile and a half).

Cheeta has suggested Tavern United and that sounds reasonable enough to me. I'll pop down there in the next day or two just to give it the once over. I'm hoping there will be a section where we can park ourselves, and if enough of us show up pre-game, that they can reserve it for us post game. I'll comment again once I've looked it over.

I'm not sure what else there is to do. It appears that it will be a small group from out of town for this one.

Awesome, now that's what I'm talkin' about! :)  I agree that the out of town support appears to be limited in numbers so we proably don't need massive amounts of space. Thanks for offering to do the scouting report. Proper appreciation will be shown in person with pints (or whatever your poison) purchased.

I would like to help but my time is very limited because I have children with special needs but I will be at the game, wearing my worn out voyageur shirt.

So there will be I think four of us coming in Rob's vehicle, he can clarify that. Two things we need to address are a megaphone for the front of the section (if people think it will be necessary) as well as setting up the tifo for at least 144 if not including 143. I really don't care which place we get for pre and post match as long as they're good. Even if it's too far to walk to the stadium that's no big deal either. We will have early access to the stadium that day anyway to set up banners, tifo, etc...

So there will be I think four of us coming in Rob's vehicle, he can clarify that. Two things we need to address are a megaphone for the front of the section (if people think it will be necessary) as well as setting up the tifo for at least 144 if not including 143. I really don't care which place we get for pre and post match as long as they're good. Even if it's too far to walk to the stadium that's no big deal either. We will have early access to the stadium that day anyway to set up banners, tifo, etc...

Ok, I am now officially confused. Rob says probably no TIFO but you speak of TIFO to set up. What are we doing?

I'm disappointed that our TIFO idea didn't come together but it's been a pretty crazy month personally.

I think that it might have been tough to pull off anyway with so many new "supporters" in the sections. I suggest that we focus on supporter education and lead by example as best as we can.

A story on the team in today's WFP and local Desi Scott.  And some footage of CanWNT practicing yesterday...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/yanks-wont-get-off-scott-free-258065271.html

Favourable forecast on Thursday -- A mix of sun and cloud. Low 7. High 13.  Looking forwward to it!  Went to IGF stadium on Sunday to purchase some swag but unfortunately none of the stock had yet arrived.  Had some mini soccer balls and Soccer Canada scarfs but that was about it.

I thought it was Abby Wambach who was standing beside the referee counting every time Erin McLeod got the ball.

Revised:

Three things I think we absolutely have to do at this game:

1. Start counting every time their keeper gets the ball.

2. Boo Abby Wambach every time she touches the ball.

3. Boo Sydney Leroux every time she touches the ball.

I wish I could be there to do the three things and with gusto!

Wow that's weird. When I got my tickets in 144 I bought the last 5 remaining in the section. That was weeks if not months ago. Now half the section is empty. Truly bizarre.

On the other hand, shouldn't be too much problem rearranging our seats and sitting (standing) with other supporters.

Archived