BMO Field Expansion

Phase I

- Additional 8,400 seats with additional washrooms and concession stands

- 12 new executive suites, 2 party suites and a loge box

- New full service kitchen for restaurants, suites and clubs

- Two new private clubs:

- West Grandstand, Event Level – 230 patrons

- East Grandstand, Event Level – 420 patrons

- Expansion of Rogers Club – current capacity of 500 is increased to 750 with upgraded look and feel, improved food and beverage and washroom facilities

- New larger full HD videoboard replacing existing north videoboard

- New concourse (2nd level) around south end of stadium allowing for one continuous concourse (at the upper concourse level)

- Budget of $65M

- Completion May 1, 2015

Phase II

- Addition of full size canopy covering all seats with exception of North Grandstand

- New sound and lighting system

- Budget of $40M

- Completion May 1, 2016

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great looking stadium.  I think I read it correctly that there will be a 2nd level concourse that runs along the west, south and east ends with the expansion.

Adding the 8,400 seats to the current plan gives 31,000 right?  That's a nice sized stadium with even more options to grow to say 35,000 if demand was there in the future and they wanted to do the north end.

I'm also kinda glad that there's the ability to get the Argo's in there.  I don't really want the Argo's to fail.

BMO Field Expansion

Phase I

- Additional 8,400 seats with additional washrooms and concession stands

- 12 new executive suites, 2 party suites and a loge box

- New full service kitchen for restaurants, suites and clubs

- Two new private clubs:

- West Grandstand, Event Level – 230 patrons

- East Grandstand, Event Level – 420 patrons

- Expansion of Rogers Club – current capacity of 500 is increased to 750 with upgraded look and feel, improved food and beverage and washroom facilities

- New larger full HD videoboard replacing existing north videoboard

- New concourse (2nd level) around south end of stadium allowing for one continuous concourse (at the upper concourse level)

- Budget of $65M

- Completion May 1, 2015

Phase II

- Addition of full size canopy covering all seats with exception of North Grandstand

- New sound and lighting system

- Budget of $40M

- Completion May 1, 2016

Is that timeframe realistic? Can they complete that much work over an Ontario winter?

I'm also kinda glad that there's the ability to get the Argo's in there.  I don't really want the Argo's to fail.

I'll second this opinion. Don't want to start a debate on this, but I will be happy if the Argos move to BMO. They've been around 141 years, would be a shame to lose a club with that kind of history.

Why can't the Argos stay at Rogers Centre? I don't understand. 

The Jays?  So their natural grass isn't ruined?  Ya okay...

The CFL runs until November from what I understand so could they not play 3 home dates after the baseball season?  That leaves 7 home dates throughout the baseball season .. hardly going to ruin your precious baseball grass.  The Dolphins shared with the marlins IIRC.

Why can't the Argos stay at Rogers Centre? I don't understand. 

The Jays?  So their natural grass isn't ruined?  Ya okay...

The CFL runs until November from what I understand so could they not play 3 home dates after the baseball season?  That leaves 7 home dates throughout the baseball season .. hardly going to ruin your precious baseball grass.  The Dolphins shared with the marlins IIRC.

because the stands weigh a substantial amount and would need to be rolled over top of the grass (causing it to die) right now the turf is rolled up after argos games so the stands can roll over the concrete

the stands will be locked in baseball mode from march until october. Rogers wants to make the dome baseball first. It owns the facility and the blue jays, it doesn't want to share. Thats what happens when you have money, you can call the shots.

yes the dolphins shared with marlins so did the chargers and padres and about 20 other teams. that was the 1970s and 80s.  the jays and the A's  are the only teams that still shares a stadium with a football team. And suprise suprise both have sub par attendance numbers.

Also the Jays and Rays are the only teams still using turf when back in the 70's about half the league used it (albeit a much poorer quality)

When the Argos move in, does the surface change to a turf or hybrid?  Or does it stay grass?  

Hybrid turf.  TFC made it clear that they're not going back to field turf.   

However, CFL end zones will have fieldturf not hybrid grass/turf though.  

It's going to be Desso GrassMaster.  Most of the big European teams have moved to this turf in the last few years.  Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, pretty much the entire EPL all use it. 

We will be the first MLS team to go with it and we'll have the best turf in the league.

Watch the video of them doing the installation.  It's really pretty cool.

My main concern is what is going to happen in phase 3? It looks to me like the North Stand has been left so that it can be demolished to accommodate a longer field, as in CFL, there are a lot more politics and deals to be played out in this one!

The discussion before suggests that the stands will be replaced by retractable ones in roughly the same position, so supporters will be in exactly the same position.

Basically the field will be hybrid while the endzones will by plastic, and the stands will roll over the ends for soccer.

Ambiance and soccer atmosphere wise it should be perfect.

Really the concerns are the feel if they can't sell 25k+ tickets, and the actual field conditions. All we can do is wait and see.

Adding the 8,400 seats to the current plan gives 31,000 right?  That's a nice sized stadium with even more options to grow to say 35,000 if demand was there in the future and they wanted to do the north end.

Huh that's odd.

Pretty much every single report i've seen says 30,000.

I'd imagine 8,400 is a typo, it's actually 7,400

It's going to be Desso GrassMaster.  Most of the big European teams have moved to this turf in the last few years.  Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, pretty much the entire EPL all use it. 

We will be the first MLS team to go with it and we'll have the best turf in the league.

Watch the video of them doing the installation.  It's really pretty cool.

The Green Bay Packers, Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos play on this grass also. I looked at pictures in December of the Packers and the grass looks like it is still intact. It is brown but I guess that is acceptable when frost is partially covering it. Also BBVA Compass stadium seems to handle the football lines pretty well. Maybe the Argos in BMO Field is not a disaster. 

Before any myths are again perpetuated, we learn from the second video that soccer is the main culprit for torn up pitches moreso than North American football.

I don't think the issue is which of soccer or CFL gets to play on it and who tears up a pitch more. The issue is with soccer already at BMO, will adding CFL games to be played there cause even more wear to the pitch? And I think that's an obvious yes, which isn't a good thing.

I do hope the Argos find a new home and are a successful. I just don't want that home to be BMO because sometimes the pitch is poor now before any CFL is played there, and I don't think enough will be done to ensure there are no further negative effects to the pitch made by the Argos games.

I don't think the issue is which of soccer or CFL gets to play on it and who tears up a pitch more. The issue is with soccer already at BMO, will adding CFL games to be played there cause even more wear to the pitch? And I think that's an obvious yes, which isn't a good thing.

I do hope the Argos find a new home and are a successful. I just don't want that home to be BMO because sometimes the pitch is poor now before any CFL is played there, and I don't think enough will be done to ensure there are no further negative effects to the pitch made by the Argos games.

sorry for the bad news but the argos are going to BMO. they aren't finding another home

And yes the BMO pitch has been torn up but that because they aren't currently using desso grassmaster

From the Ottawa Fury...re tonights NASL game.

You’ll notice both soccer and North American football lines on the field this week. That’s one of the realities we’ll face from time-to-time when time is short between soccer matches and football games … there’s simply not enough time to paint football lines from scratch.

So a dual use stadia does get affected by the need for time to change out lines.... the NASL team plays tonight at 7pm, the CFL team plays on Friday at 7pm, in other words with a full working day on Thursday they cannot put on lines ready for Friday.

Or they choose not to ?

I suspect the CFL team wanted lines for practice all week so they were put in after the NASL game on Sunday to accomodate the Red Blacks.

Are there no other football fields in Ottawa?  I think a reasonable compromise would be for the CFL team to practice at a campus until the lines are drawn.  There is no way a footy match should be ruined because a bunch of grown men can't practice on another field for a few days. 

Are there no other football fields in Ottawa?  I think a reasonable compromise would be for the CFL team to practice at a campus until the lines are drawn.  There is no way a footy match should be ruined because a bunch of grown men can't practice on another field for a few days. 

The Fury would not have a stadium to play if not for the Redblacks return to the CFL (unless they had chosen to build their own with their own money). I think the players and fans can suck it up for one game.

Archived