Loss of the National Football Stadium

Trillium

The Fury would not have a stadium to play if not for the Redblacks return to the CFL (unless they had chosen to build their own with their own money). I think the players and fans can suck it up for one game.

There just has to be a better solution.  Is there not wash away paint that they could use temporarily?  Do they not have a training centre?

Is a RedBlacks practice more important than a Fury match?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it depends on how time was promised to each party. Unfortunately, it's a reality of shared tenants. Until Canadian teams can build their own stadiums, this is what they have to work with.

It's an issue that Steven Sandor touched on recently in an article that I agree with:

http://the11.ca/2014/09/30/the-elephant-in-the-room-cfl-is-the-forgotten-partner-in-the-womens-world-cup-turf-vs-grass-debate/

Guest ClaytonA

... is the correct answer.  Caps and Lions have played 24hrs apart.  

Have they, when?  I remember scheduled games Friday - Sunday for example, but have their been closer games e.g. Saturday-Sunday?

I also wonder if being an outdoor stadium makes a difference?  Can PAVCO can control temperature and humidity as well as keeping rain away allowing a better environment for painting?  IIRC the time for painting from the CJFL and highschool teams in Edmonton for Clarke that were tossed around were longer than the turn-around times in B.C. Place too.

• 1 month later...

For those who think football and soccer can co-exist in a stadium, take a look at the developments at Wembley.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2827839/Roy-Hodgson-s-Wembley-fears-realised-pitch-ripped-Jaguars-Cowboys.html

Wembley is often used as an example of why TFC and Argos sharing the stadium will work. I think its bogus. This is exactly what I fear as a TFC and CMNT fan.

Narduch...its the Daily Mail...not really known for its objective reporting especially when it comes to England and football...

I would pretty much ignore what they say unless a more credible newspaper like the Guardian, Times, etc. picks up the story.

Did you see turf during Cowboys-Jaguars game?   It was awful!  No way that field is suitable to host both football.   It either has to be gridiron or soccer not both if MLSE wants keep grass or get hybrid turf at BMO field.   

Interesting that a former CFL commissioner is now mayor of Toronto especially in light of the fact that BMO surrepticiously became a soccer only facility under the watch of a pro soccer mayor.  Also interesting that the comments after the above article seemed quite pro American football.

I really don't know of any solutions other than Argos to BMO.

FWIS

Did you see turf during Cowboys-Jaguars game?   It was awful!  No way that field is suitable to host both football.   It either has to be gridiron or soccer not both if MLSE wants keep grass or get hybrid turf at BMO field.   

FWIW - the Wembley officials are claiming its the summer renovations and not the NFL that is the cause of the poor turf.

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3868/main/2014/11/11/6014731/pitch-not-as-good-as-it-should-be-admits-wembley-official

After viewing the pitch at Wembley today I am in agreeance that the Argos moving to BMO would be disastrous for the pitch. The pitch at Wembley looks downright terrible today.

That being said, it's going to happen either way. If this affects national team games then I suggest they begin playing them in Montreal.

After viewing the pitch at Wembley today I am in agreeance that the Argos moving to BMO would be disastrous for the pitch. The pitch at Wembley looks downright terrible today.

That being said, it's going to happen either way. If this affects national team games then I suggest they begin playing them in Montreal.

That exactly what's going to happen.  We're (as in Toronto) is going to gift Montreal with WCQ games which is bad since CMNT have played well at BMO field.   

On ITV they were showing close ups of the pitch and the commentator said, 'no it wasn't horse racing, it was American football. Disgusting, isn't it?'

Yup.  That pretty much sums things up.    

Don't forget football lines which you can clearly see.   

Narduch...its the Daily Mail...not really known for its objective reporting especially when it comes to England and football...

I would pretty much ignore what they say unless a more credible newspaper like the Guardian, Times, etc. picks up the story.

Is the Guardian respectable enough for you?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/14/england-luke-shaw-leighton-baines-slovenia-roy-hodgson-euro-2016

I'm interested to see what the 10,000 extra temporary seats on the ends look like. it'll take over all the space behind both ends. Looks like it'll make for a tight fit. espeically given the current congestion during halftime.

Based on the graphics, dones't look like they can fit ~5000 seats under the south roof, but obviously they've figured it all out.

Barring a 2016 MLS cup, the soonest we will see it is Jan1st, 2017 Winter Classic. 

Don't count on it.

The latest on that suggests that MLSE have decided to steer clear of the Argos in the ownership terms:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/09/23/can-mlse-and-a-renovated-bmo-field-save-the-toronto-argos/

It's looking a lot like 2007 at the moment. Make the right noises about accommodating the Argos at some point down the road to keep politicians happy, but focus on building a venue for soccer (and winter classic hockey). 

The latest on that suggests that MLSE have decided to steer clear of the Argos in the ownership terms:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/09/23/can-mlse-and-a-renovated-bmo-field-save-the-toronto-argos/

That's not the latest news, it's two months old and this story has had more seesaws than a playground.  Yes, I think the MLSE/Argo ship has sailed but I've just heard Braley is in lease negotiations.  I have no evidence, just something I heard, and also Braley has said he doesn't want to one up the CFL season so we won't hear anything until after the Grey Cup.

From most speculators BMO is the logical place to go, all other options are too limiting in one way or another.

Archived