UM02 Sends Message to Impact Management Re Voyageurs Cup

The following banners were posted at various times during Saturday's game. Every year Impact management makes statements about how serious they are taking the Voyageurs Cup but from their actions it seems to be largely public relations BS. This year players like Nesta and Di Viao were not only not on the pitch or bench but not even in the city of Toronto for the game against TFC. After the surprising underdog victory of 2008 and the great Champions League run that followed we have not even won a single game since then. And that time period includes humiliations like the 6-1 loss to TFC. And after a 10 day break with no games and an upcoming match against MLS bottom dwellers Chicago we really needed to rest players? Or were they concerned with looking good for the Impact's first NBC broadcast? A 2 goal deficit is pretty hard to claw back but hopefully the club gets the message and will put out our best players this coming Wednesday.

8686956315_4d0356b9d3_z.jpg

24-04-13: We Took It Seriously

8686956589_09e2680f69_z.jpg

CC Impact Not There Since 2008

8686955745_54d38028ae_z.jpg

There has been a bit of press coverage of this as well in both English and French. The MLS site had the following article: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/04/27/montreal-impact-fans-make-clear-their-dissatisfaction-amway-canadian-champio while the Journal de Montreal had this: http://journalmetro.com/sports/300153/impact-les-ultras-passent-leur-message/

Big time respect to the Ultras. We in the 127 were all too happy to take part (even though it didn't show much because of our numbers) in the protest. I can't wait for the supporter group evening with Joey in the fall to tell them what I think.

I'm not a fan of Saputo, but I suspect he's even more pissed off than Montreal supporters whenever Impact loses to TFC

I'm not a fan of Saputo, but I suspect he's even more pissed off than Montreal supporters whenever Impact loses to TFC

If he were pissed off he wouldn't be making the decisions to start B teams. And yes it is he and NDS making these decisions not the coaches as much as everyone involved would deny it. Saputo tweeted after the game, "We gambled and we lost." Our message is directed far more at Saputo than it was Schalibaum who is just doing as he is told.

Guest ClaytonA

Noticed today that the PLSQ has a 5 month schedule April/May to Sept/Oct...http://www.publicationsports.com/ressources/files/240/PLSQ_-_CALENDRIER__2013512f6bd172c9f.pdf?__utma=86310535.1695251683.1360011042.1361895404.1362059335.22&__utmb=86310535.12.10.1362059335&__utmc=86310535&__utmx=-&__utmz=86310535.1361542843.17.7.utmcsr=asblainville.ca|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/fr/index.html&__utmv=-&__utmk=268795128&SID=g9ktuf85u7rcr8av1po1801hd2&__utma=86310535.1420414263.1367198954.1367198954.1367198954.1&__utmb=86310535.0.10.1367198954&__utmc=86310535&__utmx=-&__utmz=86310535.1367198954.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=plsq%20soccer%20schedule&__utmv=-&__utmk=226647956&SID=c7dkrjvftio9ltsrque0kff702

I wonder if UM02 would lobby for a PLSQ spot in the Voyageurs Cup since they don't just play a 2.5 month university schedule like the PDL teams. Travel would be an issue, but at least some of the provincial soccer associations help the amateur teams compete in the national championships for the Challenge Trophy and Jubilee Shield. This might broaden the appeal of the competition (and sport locally) by increasing the possibilities of big upsets and could help give the PLSQ some credibility. Imagine the egg on Saputo's face if he gambled against AS Blainville and lost. Even better imagine the chants you could get out of an AS Blainville upsetting TFC, Ottawa, Edmonton, or the Whitecaps...

A great banner could be something along the lines of "FC Brossard wants the spot" or something more witty.

Saputo tweeted after the game, "We gambled and we lost." Our message is directed far more at Saputo than it was Schalibaum who is just doing as he is told.

Pretty stupid gamble year after year thinking you can play B on B away and win.

It's a double standard, as far as I'm concerned. The team opens up the season 4-0-0, Schällibaum is a genius. He fields a B team in an important game, ( I'm not condoning it) and loses, it's Saputo and NDS's fault.

I think his tweet was misleading. When he tweets ''WE'' he's trying not to single out coach Schällibaum. If he and NDS are truly making the decisions on the field, why go through all the trouble of hiring and paying a European coach? Wouldn't it make more sense to hand the reigns over to someone like Mauro Biello, in that case?

Also, if this is indeed the way the club is operating, what does that say about Marco Schällibaum? He doesn't strike me as a yes man, or a puppet.

If I were to blame Saputo for anything, it would be for stating that if Coach Schällibaum doesn't lead this team into the MLS playoffs, then he's gone. Knowing this, which competition do you think Schällibaum is going to prioritize?

It's a double standard, as far as I'm concerned. The team opens up the season 4-0-0, Schällibaum is a genius. He fields a B team in an important game, ( I'm not condoning it) and loses, it's Saputo and NDS's fault.

I think his tweet was misleading. When he tweets ''WE'' he's trying not to single out coach Schällibaum. If he and NDS are truly making the decisions on the field, why go through all the trouble of hiring and paying a European coach? Wouldn't it make more sense to hand the reigns over to someone like Mauro Biello, in that case?

Also, if this is indeed the way the club is operating, what does that say about Marco Schällibaum? He doesn't strike me as a yes man, or a puppet.

If I were to blame Saputo for anything, it would be for stating that if Coach Schällibaum doesn't lead this team into the MLS playoffs, then he's gone. Knowing this, which competition do you think Schällibaum is going to prioritize?

Who has been calling Schallibaum a genius? Yes we got off to a good start although most of the wins were more fortunate than convincing but the jury is still out on his abilities. So far he has been better than I expected though given a fairly mediocre record in Switzerland but we will really see how good a coach he is once we start playing a lot of the better teams. Anyone who follows the team at all and doesn't think the ownership is very involved in decisions usually better left up to the coaching staff would have to be blind and deaf. And I have confirmation of that from countless inside sources. We will find out also whether Schallibaum is a yes man or not probably depending on how long he is with the team. Those who are not yes man and think they can make their own decisions usually find themselves out of work fairly quickly even if they are successful and doing a good job. And Schallibaum did sign a very bizarre contract for an experienced coach from Europe. It is also no coincidence that every single coach we have had in the last few years does not seem to put the emphasis on the VC or beating rival teams that most of us fans expect. Make no mistake, if Joey wants a strong team for VC matches the coaches will be putting out strong teams for these matches. And I certainly hope his decision for tomorrow will be to put out as strong a lineup as we did on Saturday to play one of the weakest teams in the MLS.

Who has been calling Schallibaum a genius? Yes we got off to a good start although most of the wins were more fortunate than convincing but the jury is still out on his abilities. So far he has been better than I expected though given a fairly mediocre record in Switzerland but we will really see how good a coach he is once we start playing a lot of the better teams. Anyone who follows the team at all and doesn't think the ownership is very involved in decisions usually better left up to the coaching staff would have to be blind and deaf. And I have confirmation of that from countless inside sources. We will find out also whether Schallibaum is a yes man or not probably depending on how long he is with the team. Those who are not yes man and think they can make their own decisions usually find themselves out of work fairly quickly even if they are successful and doing a good job. And Schallibaum did sign a very bizarre contract for an experienced coach from Europe. It is also no coincidence that every single coach we have had in the last few years does not seem to put the emphasis on the VC or beating rival teams that most of us fans expect. Make no mistake, if Joey wants a strong team for VC matches the coaches will be putting out strong teams for these matches. And I certainly hope his decision for tomorrow will be to put out as strong a lineup as we did on Saturday to play one of the weakest teams in the MLS.

Watch out Grizzly. You could be silenced for your dissent :P I'm glad the Ultras are not intimidated to tell the club how they felt and hope they don't forget about it when they meet in the fall. Maybe this will all be forgotten depending on what happens tonight. Someone mentionned either on this site or on FB that what they say on their website and videos about the Voyageurs Cup is one thing, but what they showcase on the field or the attitude does not live up to the hype. I think it is all a smoke screen and an act just to give the appearance to the general public that they care. I wonder what reason keeps them from really going all out. I hear them complain on their website "3rd game in seven days" (whatever they rested most of their regular starters!) and Xnumber of games in a 18 days but honestly, they played 2 games in a span of 4 weeks, having two bye weekends before playing Wednesday's match. Maybe there is a stipulation in players contracts, maybe its a question of no prize money, not important. I remember when I went to Burnaby in 2008 in the fall to encourage the team Mauro Biello told me on the sidelines that they were "exhausted". Understandly that team was in two campaigns, the CCL and were playing a semi final vs Whitecaps. That's being tired. They dealt with it. Not like this edition of l'impact.

It appears that the message was received loud and clear from the club.

Back to "genius" category :)

I thought 2 down with no away goals would be a tough hill to climb but damn did they make short work of that.

4-0 now and 30 minutes to go. 4-2 on agg. Wow. Just wow.

I've never been more embarrassed to be a TFC fan but I will say this, Montreal has done a huge favour to Canadian soccer with this win. The Ultras have clearly lit a fire under the team and in doing so brought this competition into the limelight.. The top two teams in Canada will be facing off for the Championship, rightfully so. This is huge for this competition, for fans to direct their teams to care about it and put emphasis on it... in the long run it will only grow this tournament and football in Canada as a result.

It appears that the message was received loud and clear from the club.

Funny because maybe Schälibaum was right all along. Take a small loss in the first and then explode in the home-game. Easy. And you can hardly say that was Montreals' first team in the second leg, no it was youngsters again. That means the Impact can field their strongest team in MLS this weekend. So maybe the fans owe him an apology.

Funny because maybe Schälibaum was right all along. Take a small loss in the first and then explode in the home-game. Easy. And you can hardly say that was Montreals' first team in the second leg, no it was youngsters again. That means the Impact can field their strongest team in MLS this weekend. So maybe the fans owe him an apology.

I think it was a massive gamble to take by Montreal.

Better coaching and more enthusiasm and I think TFC should be able to advance going in with a 2 goal lead. Montreal is good but they aren't Santos Laguna.

I think it was a massive gamble to take by Montreal.

Better coaching and more enthusiasm and I think TFC should be able to advance going in with a 2 goal lead. Montreal is good but they aren't Santos Laguna.

They played an away game hoping for a tie or at least an away goal and got neither. Came home and went flat out. Not so much a gamble but more of a standard home and away strategy. I don't think they planned on being down 0-2 for the home leg but boy did they respond. TFC? I don't know what to say. Just when you think they have finally got their act somewhat together they mess the bed. Time after time. They really need to break that habit.

I think that the club was actually reacting to what their fans said, it's like a kid, you sometimes need to smack em behind the head to make sure they get some sense. That being said it was an awesome match for Montreal team and the Montreal crowd. Loved the clown tifo from the UM02.

I've never been more embarrassed to be a TFC fan but I will say this, Montreal has done a huge favour to Canadian soccer with this win. The Ultras have clearly lit a fire under the team and in doing so brought this competition into the limelight.. The top two teams in Canada will be facing off for the Championship, rightfully so. This is huge for this competition, for fans to direct their teams to care about it and put emphasis on it... in the long run it will only grow this tournament and football in Canada as a result.

Great post.

Archived