Next coach ?

Winnipeg Fury

The best thing Hart had going for him was the ample preparation ahead of this cycle with the players. Up until yesterday the team had locked cohesive and organized and I think a lot of that was the three years they had together under Hart previously. It's important the CSA do that again and get the guy to lead us to 2018 right away, no delaying for a couple years.

Agreed

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best thing Hart had going for him was the ample preparation ahead of this cycle with the players. Up until yesterday the team had locked cohesive and organized and I think a lot of that was the three years they had together under Hart previously. It's important the CSA do that again and get the guy to lead us to 2018 right away, no delaying for a couple years.

In a perfect world, the next coach is hired today and is the coach we have all been longing for.

In reality, Fonseca or Dasovic probably gets hired as an interim, Canada has a strong Gold Cup, and the CSA makes the interim get the full job.

Thinking back now, that 2007 Gold Cup run may have taken 5 years to come back to bite us in the ass.

The next coach and the CSA's MNT strategy should all be about qualifying for the next WC. We need a Latin American perspective as we can't get the results away from home.

From such a cursory look around Ricardo La Volpe (former Mexixo and Costa Rica) looks an option.

The European/Anglo-saxon managers have not worked.

as much as i adore the style of european soccer, i have to say this is exactly what we need. we need to concentrate on getting INTO the hex and getting INTO the world cup. and as much as i would personally NOT LIKE this it is the RIGHT THING to do - HIRE A MEXICAN OR SOUTH AMERICAN COACH!!!!! it is what we need.

we need to be more technical. we need better coaching strategies. we a better selection of players (evaluations of abilities) complete turnover on staff. we need to become mexico or brazil or argentina. the players need to be of similar taste and quality. guys that can body check players in the midfield are not needed. we need fast paced, technical, good first touch, hungry, canada proud players.

we have 4 years to turn this around. it's a broken record. but this time, i hope the csa makes it count. maybe with a respected mexican or south american coach, we will also get more believers on board as well to support our team...

South American/Central American coach sounds like a great idea in theory. But things like language barrier are difficult to overcome with national sides. I think our best bet for a reputable, experienced coach would be to go Dutch. Guys like Verbeek, Beenhakker, Adriaanse come to mind. What is Dick Advocaat doing these days? They'd be expensive but would signal an entirely new experience that this national team needs.

Anyone not born in Canada, USA, or the UK.

There's too much of this. Why does the National Team coach have to be a foreigner? Any coach that we hire, should be the best person for the job, regardless of his passport. Hart wasn't born in any of these nations, and what good was that?

South American/Central American coach sounds like a great idea in theory. But things like language barrier are difficult to overcome with national sides. I think our best bet for a reputable, experienced coach would be to go Dutch. Guys like Verbeek, Beenhakker, Adriaanse come to mind. What is Dick Advocaat doing these days? They'd be expensive but would signal an entirely new experience that this national team needs.

this is the exact feeling that i just had to overcome - for the very first time. this is the reason:

we need to beat the toughest teams in concacaf!!! and all of those teams play a mexican/central/south american style soccer. i'm not even so worried about teams like trinidad and jamaica anymore... we are and always have been very "european/british style" - and is why we seem to do fairly well against teams like czech republic, northern ireland, cyprus etc...

i have no doubt that if our country was in europe - we would have an easier time to qualify.

the reality is, we are in this region and we need a coach that knows the ins and outs of this region. it's a very simple logic. and one that we need to implement ASAP.

this is the exact feeling that i just had to overcome - for the very first time. this is the reason:

we need to beat the toughest teams in concacaf!!! and all of those teams play a mexican/central/south american style soccer. i'm not even so worried about teams like trinidad and jamaica anymore... we are and always have been very "european/british style" - and is why we seem to do fairly well against teams like czech republic, northern ireland, cyprus etc...

i have no doubt that if our country was in europe - we would have an easier time to qualify.

the reality is, we are in this region and we need a coach that knows the ins and outs of this region. it's a very simple logic. and one that we need to implement ASAP.

Agree

Should be: an experienced foreigner.

Will be: Tony Fonseca.

Brilliant.

Its true though, a friend of mine who isn't a big soccer fan, but is trying his best at supporting the CMNT always says, when a country is trying to get better at hockey they hire a Canadian coach and when they try to get better at rugby they hire a New Zealander and when Canada tries to qualify for the WC they hire a woman's CIS coach from T&T.

There has to be a change, we need fresh ideas and an outside perspective.

Paul Peschisolido

IF he was interested, which I'm really not sure he would be, I would interview him for sure! He has coached in a professional environment in the lower divisions of England and he does have a good knowledge of what CONCACAF is all about!

Highly doubt that happens - he will ask for high pay-wage - which the CSA will most likely turn down IMO.

Again, my choice would be Venezuelan Richard Paez - and I think he won't be "as" expensive - but could be a worthwhile investment.

Canada overall can learn a bit from Venezuela, as they have some similaries. Venezuela is a country where Baseball is #1, and everything else is second. Hence, why they struggled to field strong teams. Canada has a similar fate with Hockey being #1 and everything else second. Venezuela up to about 2000-2001, was the running joke of South America, as they would lose ALL WC qualifying and Copa America games, with the odd draw here and there. Richard Paez was named the Venezuelan head coach in 2001, and turned the philosophy around and gave belief to the Venezuelan players that they can compete. At the same time, he had a stronghold on the U-17 and U-20 teams to assure that they were being developed accurately. During Paez's reign as head coach (up to 2007), they were getting results - not just results, but WINS - AWAY from home in Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Bolivia, etc. Likewise, in 2007, qualified for the Copa America QF's, and in 2011 - to the Semis.

From being the laughing stock in South America, Venezuela is currently in position to qualify for its first EVER world cup, sitting in 4th place in Conmebol qualifying. A lot of this hard work is due to Venezuela's current coach - Cesar Farias; but the blueprint in my opinion was laid down by Richard Paez.

Even if we don't get Paez, someone in the CSA should look at Venezuela as an example on what to do to turn around national programs.

1. Ten to fifteen years coaching men's professional soccer, with demonstrated success at lower level leagues leading to an appointment as a Division one coach in one of the top four leagues in the world.

2. Good communication skills in english ( or ability to get them in six months ).

3. Ability to speak spanish or to hire a spanish speaking assistant to assist in dealing with Concacaf oppoents and officials.

4. Ability to communicate directly with Domestic coaches in what ever Canadian based leagues there are on what he/she is looking for in players as a style of play.

5. Willingness to work 220 days per year, based in Canada, with a minimum of 150 days on the road scouting players, talking to clubs/coaches, attending soccer meetings of Provinces / regional associations to tell them what he/she needs to succeed.

Folks... 2018 is now five years away, we need to find players who are 17 and 18 with potential to play in five years on a team that will form the core of 2022. An 18 year old now will be 22 in 2016, players found now at such ages should be placed with teams in Central America or South America on loan from CSA to clubs .... who train them and get them into competitive games. When the players are of value to be sold on the CSA should be selling them on and using the money to fund the National program.

Essentially create Club Canada, and get 50 to 60 players on the list between 17 and 18 and add 20 more players every year, top the pool out at age 22, so at a max you have 5 X20 or 100 players who have been part of Club Canada and graduate hopefully onto pro contracts in leagues anywhere in the world and are then available to be called into National team camps/competitions.

Archived