Canada vs Panama Sept. 7th 2012 @BMO Field Game Thread

jpg75

I'd call Klukowski in a heartbeat for CB cover. When we are looking for guys to come in as cover or for injuries I'd give more weight to a guy like Kluka who has been in the program for a long time, has played in biggish European leagues and has been one of our best players over the years. Sure hes a bit off form right now, but if we need him to go into Panama and do a job, hes been there before and none of the things outside of the actual field will get to him. And hes played lots of minutes with all the guys we have so should be familiar and should understand everyone's game, and I'm sure if necessary he could play RB. TBH I'd call him over Morgan just for the fact that if we have Jazic and DeJong at 1 and 2 on the LB depth chart I'd rather someone that can cover another position and is a vet for these types of games.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting stat:

18 of the 21 players selected started for their club in the last match. The three who didn't? Our 3rd keeper Stama, Ricketts who has been without a club and McKenna who is returning from injury.

Nice that we can throw another excuse out the window for these next set of matches. This is our time.

We have played Kluko at RB before, just can't remember the match.

Wow really? This is news to me. He sure doesn't strike me as a fullback who can play on his off side, but if you guys say so...

Maybe the Panama game from GC? That is the only one I recall missing the past few years.

Either way, that is more reason to bring him in should we have injury concerns.

Also, great point by Keegan about most of our squad getting game time. Hope that translates on the field this friday.

What? When has Klukowski ever played RB? He is a very left footed player!

Jonovision has it correct, I was calling for Klukowski to give us CB depth. He has played there before and looks to be playing there now with APOEL. If he isn't called in then perhaps Jakovic is fine, players play with knocks all the time. However, if Jakovic was struggling for fitness and Hainualt is doubtful...then calling Klukowski would be logical. Henry is injured, Nana and Cann have not been playing much, and Hart appears to have lost confidence in Straith. Who else would we call for CB depth? Even if we moved Edgar to CB there would be no backup for him and Mckenna....assuming Jakovic and Hainualt can't go.

I disagree, Edgar for the CB depth, Klukowski for the RB depth. That's actually the lineup from a Gold Cup 2011 match or 2...mike was RB, Jakovic and McKenna at CB. Edgar was still on the outs with Burnley at the time. But CB is MUCH more important than RB in terms of an important CB partnership. You don't want to mess with CB, I'd be MUCH more comfortable with Edgar, who IS a CB in that position that Klukowski, who is a natural fullback, even on the wrong side. And that's assuming Jakovic or McKenna gets injured or red carded as you say. But remember, they still have Jazic...De Jong...Morgan...they called in a LOT of players for left back. Do you think Hart did that as an intentional move that none of them have a chance to play...or do you think it's possible that he let some of them know ahead of time to be prepared to see training on the other side as well? Because I think it's VERY possible he told them to prepare to play off position.

And for Hart, that makes sense. We have a lot of guys...young guys, old guys in between guys at LB, it's a position we are clearly overmanned at. And honestly, rather than calling in guys for spots, I am of a mind saying try to get the best 4 out there in the best positions possible, tampering LEAST with CB (meaning make sure our two CBs are experienced CBs). I think Hart will be of the same mind as me. RB is the position he will most likely have someone playing off position.

Or maybe we are all wrong, and Hutch at RB has been a possibility all along? We are also overmanned at defensive mid...maybe that's because Hart is starting to think about considering Hutch as an RB possibility NOT because he's better there, but because he has faith that guys like De Guzman, Johnson, and Bernier will do well as a mid three? Maybe that's part of his plan to get the best 11 out on the pitch playing? It's not MY predicted starting lineup, but I, for one, won't piss and moan if it IS the lineup. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it...if Hainault is hurt...it's making more and more sense...

Does anyone know of any plans for an organized march to the stadium before the game? I have a group coming who never go to games and it would be great if they could experience something like the supporters' marches to TFC games.

Yes there will be. We'll be leaving the pre-game party around 700pm. Details here.

Klukowski has NEVER played right back for the national team. I would put a large sum on that. I'm confident because I was calling for it to be tried last round.

I won't say never because possibly there is a game I am forgetting but I can not remember him ever playing RB for us either. He has definitely played CB for us before and did quite well in that position though he was in better overall form at the time than what we have seen recently.

Or maybe we are all wrong, and Hutch at RB has been a possibility all along? We are also overmanned at defensive mid...maybe that's because Hart is starting to think about considering Hutch as an RB possibility NOT because he's better there, but because he has faith that guys like De Guzman, Johnson, and Bernier will do well as a mid three? Maybe that's part of his plan to get the best 11 out on the pitch playing? It's not MY predicted starting lineup, but I, for one, won't piss and moan if it IS the lineup. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it...if Hainault is hurt...it's making more and more sense...

Good post. I think that if the injury problem is as bad as it sounds at CB then I'd be inclined to drink the Hutch at RB kool-aid, and this is the first time I haven't been against that idea. I'm thinking this as the line-up:

------------Hirschfeld------------

Hutch--Edgar--McKenna/Jakovic--De Jong

-----------JDG--Johnson--------

Jackson-----Bernier-------DeRo

-------------Occean--------------

McKenna or Jakovic, depending on who does better in training (hopefully they're not both hurt too bad). Ricketts as an offensive sub, not sure who else to sub in after that though.

Klukowski has NEVER played right back for the national team. I would put a large sum on that. I'm confident because I was calling for it to be tried last round.

This is also my thought as well. I do remember Keegan calling for this. The debate at the time was how to get De Jong and Klukowski on the field at the same time. Surely if Klukowski spent some time at RB for us in the 2011 GC it would have been brought up in discussion? I do not recall anyone mentioning this but I could have missed it. Also, I never saw all the GC 2011 games, so I could have also missed Klukowski at RB, if he indeed played there.

If we are debating who is a better option for CB depth, madmonte and others may be of the opinion that Edgar would make a better CB, since Klukowski is a "natural fullback". This is a valid point, and if all things were equal I would take Edgar as a replacement CB before Klukowski as well. However, because Edgar is clearly our starting RB, bringing him into CB would require us to use Ledgerwood or Hutchinson as a RB, and that is something I am not comfortable with (for different reasons). If Klukowski was in the squad, I would rather see him fill in as CB so we can use Hutchinson and Ledgerwood in the midfield.

Also, just to clarify, I do not think that Klukowski would be a disaster at RB, I just think we would be better off with him as a CB because:

-He has played there before for the CMNT, for Club Brugge (occasionally), and now perhaps for APOEL.

-Playing someone on the opposite side is only effective if they are inclined to cut inside on their good foot. I do not think Klukowski has that in his game.

Good post. I think that if the injury problem is as bad as it sounds at CB then I'd be inclined to drink the Hutch at RB kool-aid, and this is the first time I haven't been against that idea. I'm thinking this as the line-up:

------------Hirschfeld------------

Hutch--Edgar--McKenna/Jakovic--De Jong

-----------JDG--Johnson--------

Jackson-----Bernier-------DeRo

-------------Occean--------------

McKenna or Jakovic, depending on who does better in training (hopefully they're not both hurt too bad). Ricketts as an offensive sub, not sure who else to sub in after that though.

So you're drinking the Hutch at RB Kool Aid? I got booed off the pitch a year and a half ago or so for the suggestion and in fairness it really hasn't been necessary with the emergence of Edgar as a very good option at that position! If our CB injuries are as serious as it sounds however I think it might necessitate Hutch playing there so Edgar can move into a natural CB position and pair up with whoever may be fit! We have some depth in the midfield and the lineup you propose looks quite good, we have to be as strong as possible in the back!

I disagree, Edgar for the CB depth, Klukowski for the RB depth. That's actually the lineup from a Gold Cup 2011 match or 2...mike was RB, Jakovic and McKenna at CB. Edgar was still on the outs with Burnley at the time.

Gold Cup starting back four alignments:

vs USA (left to right): de Jong, Hainault, McKenna, Ledgerwood

vs Guadeloupe: Klukowski, Hainault, McKenna, Ledgerwood

vs Panama: Klukowski, Hainault, McKenna, Ledgerwood

I have may have swapped the central positions of McKenna and Hainault, but I know for certain because it bothered me so much at the time, and I went back and checked the match threads, that Ledgerwood was the starting right back in all three matches.

In any case it's a moot point because if Klukowski had been called for cover we would have heard by now.

I won't say never because possibly there is a game I am forgetting but I can not remember him ever playing RB for us either. He has definitely played CB for us before and did quite well in that position though he was in better overall form at the time than what we have seen recently.

I will also vouch for the no Kluks at RB brigade. I won't say never either because there are some games i haven't been able to watch in Europe or the stream was so crap i may as well have not watched it, but pretty sure Kluks has only ever been a LB and on a few occassions at CB.

Kluka was a defensive midfielder for out U20 side in Victoria qualifying tournament and at the the U20 WC in Argentina. Earlier in his career i read a artcle from a local french european newspaper (cant recall if it was from Belgium or France) that did an interview with him. As i recall, he mentioned that actually preferred playing CB.

But yes, he has been mostly used as LB for canada.

Kluka was a defensive midfielder for out U20 side in Victoria qualifying tournament and at the the U20 WC in Argentina. Earlier in his career i read a artcle from a local french european newspaper (cant recall if it was from Belgium or France) that did an interview with him. As i recall, he mentioned that actually preferred playing CB.

But yes, he has been mostly used as LB for canada.

I'm still kinda amazed that Klukowski is a defender of any kind. Growing up playing with and against that kid in Oshawa / Whitby Kluka was a deadly striker. Under 13 he was good for a brace a game at least then he went to Europe and I doubt he's ever played higher up the pitch than DM since.

We are clear favourites according to the bookies:

Canada 1.95 Draw 3.25 Panama 3.60

This is really strange, I assumed that the odds would be very close based on both our history of failures and Panama showing they can win away in a much more hostile atmosphere in Honduras.

Archived