Game 3: Honduras vs Cuba

Obinna

Considering this game has implications for us, perhaps we can discuss it here. If there is another place to put this feel free to move it.

Honduras roster:

LOS CONVOCADOS

PORTEROS Noel Valladares (Olimpia)José Mendoza (Marathón)Donis Escober (Olimpia)

DEFENSAS Arnold Peralta (Vida)Maurio Sabillón (Marathón)Víctor Bernárdez (San Jose Earthquakes, MLS)José Velásquez Colón (Victoria)Osman Chávez (Wisla, Polonia)Maynor Figueroa (Wigan, Inglaterra)

MEDIOCAMPISTAS Juan Carlos García (Olimpia)Orlin Peralta (Vida)Roger Espinoza (Kansas City, MLS)Wilmer Fuentes (Marathón)Edder Delgado (Real España)Wilson Palacios (Stoke City, Inglaterra)Jorge Claros (Hibernian, Escocia)Boniek García (Houston Dynamo, MLS)Marvin Chávez (San Jose Earthquakes)Mario Martínez (Seattle Sounders, MLS)Emilio Izaguirre (Celtic, Escocia)

DELANTEROS Jerry Bengtson (New England, MLS)Roger Rojas (Olimpia)Robin Norlaes (Motagua)Georgie Welcome (Motagua)

Considering this game has implications for us, perhaps we can discuss it here. If there is another place to put this feel free to move it.

Honduras roster:

LOS CONVOCADOS

PORTEROS Noel Valladares (Olimpia)José Mendoza (Marathón)Donis Escober (Olimpia)

DEFENSAS Arnold Peralta (Vida)Maurio Sabillón (Marathón)Víctor Bernárdez (San Jose Earthquakes, MLS)José Velásquez Colón (Victoria)Osman Chávez (Wisla, Polonia)Maynor Figueroa (Wigan, Inglaterra)

MEDIOCAMPISTAS Juan Carlos García (Olimpia)Orlin Peralta (Vida)Roger Espinoza (Kansas City, MLS)Wilmer Fuentes (Marathón)Edder Delgado (Real España)Wilson Palacios (Stoke City, Inglaterra)Jorge Claros (Hibernian, Escocia)Boniek García (Houston Dynamo, MLS)Marvin Chávez (San Jose Earthquakes)Mario Martínez (Seattle Sounders, MLS)Emilio Izaguirre (Celtic, Escocia)

DELANTEROS Jerry Bengtson (New England, MLS)Roger Rojas (Olimpia)Robin Norlaes (Motagua)Georgie Welcome (Motagua)

Looks like the game will be played at 3 pm, hopefully they have still forgot how to use a mower

I thought Arnold Peralta was a midfielder and Juan Carlos Garcia was a defender(LB)?

Interesting that they've completed rolled over the forward position. Not a single forward from June is on the roster this time around.

Just noticed that Honduras played Boca Juniors during the friendly window 2 weeks ago. They won 2-0 in Miami.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/15/2953900/honduras-2-boca-juniors-0-8152012.html

By the looks of it they used pretty much the same lineup that has been called in this time. From the picture gallery i spotted Valladeres; Sabillon, O. Chavez, J.C. Garcia; Palacios, Espinoza, Martinez, O. Garcia. M. Chavez; Bengston. Not sure who partnered O. Chavez in central defence....

But just to be clear Espinoza is suspended for this game even though he is on the roster right?

I don't think so, but i could be wrong. He was suspended for the first game at home to Panama and then played against us without getting carded. Did he do something at the Olympics that would get carried over?

edit: apparently the red card against Brasil gets carried over!? WTF is the logic behind that?

Who was the other Honduran who got tossed in that game?

Based on what I have seen of him in MLS Boniek Garcia looks the business, on a $151 K to boot. I guess he's the successor to Guevara?

Yeah he is quite the player. He has plenty of international experience too. I believe he has something around 40-50 caps.

edit: apparently the red card against Brasil gets carried over!? WTF is the logic behind that?

Wow that is a really unfair rule. Certainly not going to shed any tears for Honduras due to the unfair way they play and how much they get away with from refs and the lax enforcement of rules by both CONCACAF and FIFA. However, by any objective analysis they are really getting screwed over by losing one of their best players for a red card in a completely unrelated tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_football_team

It seems Honduras TD dropped 14 players from the squad that played against us in June: 6 defenders, 3 midfielders and 5 forward. I'm not convinced this is a good move for Honduras.

Could go either way. I wasn't impressed with their opening squad and clearly they weren't either.

Hopefully it backfires and Cuba does what we need them to do.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_football_team

It seems Honduras TD dropped 14 players from the squad that played against us in June: 6 defenders, 3 midfielders and 5 forward. I'm not convinced this is a good move for Honduras.

Here's hoping they panicked and blew it. IMO a draw by Cuba vs Honduras is almost as good as a win at BMO today. If we get both results the hex is almost ours

Even better. Boniek Garcia can also play on RW. And he's a DP in Houston (transfer fee paid to Olimpia)

With a name like Boniek, it looks like he was raised in the game. Boniek (Golden boot winner for Poland at the 1982 WC) is a legend in Poland and Juventus. You see him on some of Italian soccer shows on RAI.

Archived