Group 7

Chorillo (PAN)

Monterrey (MEX)

Municipal (GUA)

Group 8

Xelaju (GUA)

Chivas de Guadalajara (MEX)

Caribbean 2

I was actually hoping for Santos so we can continue to develop the rivalry that got quite heated last year. I still believe we can beat them if we bring it for the full 90 for both games and keep the defensive mistakes to an absolute minimum.

I was actually hoping for Santos so we can continue to develop the rivalry that got quite heated last year. I still believe we can beat them if we bring it for the full 90 for both games and keep the defensive mistakes to an absolute minimum.

MLS teams will be big underdogs against Mexican sides, now and for the forseeable future. They (mexican clubs) dont have a salary cap to adhere to whereas MLS sides do. That, right there, is massive handicap right from the start. It wont make a difference against the other non mexican sides because those clubs dont operate any where near the level of MLS clubs (ie.; dont have the fans, revenues, invested capital, infrastructues). But with mexican clubs its another story as you could have seen even on TV from the CCL broadcasts of games in mexico.

There is not going to be rivalries between MLS and Mexican clubs for these reasons. Not the same playing field.

Looking at 3 teams from El Salvador, I think we have a case for a second.

Yes. I agree, i think that we can safely say that we are getting shafted. If not from the number of entries allowed, then definitely from the seeding. All the MLS sides get to avoid mexican clubs in the first round except the canadian entries. And yet the canadian entry have made to to the final stages two out of five years and pretty much beaten everyone in the competition except the Mexican clubs and/or the occasional MLS team. So why do some honduran and CrC sides get a top seed?

Looking at 3 teams from El Salvador, I think we have a case for a second.

They have 3 because Belize has been given a spot, but stadium issues prevents them having a team approved to play. CONCACAF give the spot to the best performing country in Central America (Belize in CONCACAF's eyes is Central America). Honduras last year, now El Salvador................that's the theory anyway..........

Weird.

With Pirate Jack and Chuckie finished I'm interested to see what CONCACRAP's new regime does with CCC and the Gold Cup. Hoping for a breath of fresh air.

Speaking of hope, or the lack thereof, TFC drawing into Group 1? Yeah, how to put this?

Dead..

Meat.

What really ticks me off about the CCL system is that the four American teams are all effectively (if not officially) seeded in the first pot, in order to avoid being grouped with the Mexican teams. I understand the desire to create a rivalry between the American and Mexican teams, but we are still a long way from being able to say that the top American teams are on par with the top Mexican teams. Heck, it's debatable whether the US even deserves four teams in the CCL in the first place, let alone putting them in the same class as Mexico.

I really wish that CONCACAF would come up with some system, possibly even a UEFA-style coefficient system, that assigns places and priorities to countries based on actual results in the CCL. This confederation has more than two members, and if the US teams want the top seeds, they should have to earn them.

I don't mind the groups of three to be honest. However, I don't think they needed to go to this, at least not from an MLS perspective. The season can't be that onerous if every year we send players out on load at the end of the season or at the pre-season. But it does allow for more teams to compete in the group stages, which I would think was a problem for some clubs.

I don't mind the groups of three to be honest. However, I don't think they needed to go to this, at least not from an MLS perspective. The season can't be that onerous if every year we send players out on load at the end of the season or at the pre-season. But it does allow for more teams to compete in the group stages, which I would think was a problem for some clubs.

Well, then why not just have six groups of 4 like the UEFA Champions League format in the 1990s? At least then, some of the best second-place teams advance so you are not necessarily screwed if you draw a FMF team. If you get a point off the FMF team and win the other games, you'll be likely awarded with a quarterfinal spot which I think would be deserved in such a case.

Also 4 teams per group is just easier to work with. With 3 teams you still need 6 matchdays so you don't save on anything in terms of fixture congestion (not even sure that's a problem anyway). But CONCACAF has always had a boner for 3-team group stages. Remember when the Gold Cup had them? Seems they didn't learn their lesson even after some groups were decided by coin flips.

• 1 month later...

The game is tonight. From an email:

"Tonight, Toronto FC takes on CD Aguila at BMO Field. This is the first match of the CCL Group Stage and the Reds want to make sure they start with big "W" over the El Salvador Champions."

From the looks of the schedule on the TFC website, it doesn't look televised.

Guest ClaytonA
The TFC game tomorrow night is not on TV from what I can see.

Unjustified criticism...on TSN HD we can watch a meaningless friendly between Real Madrid and LA Galaxy instead. ;)

It's on Fox Soccer, so hopefully there will be streams available in English for those of us too far away to go to the match.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived