U23 Camp

Max

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about the NCAA guys? Kyle Bekker and Drew Beckie. Beckie especially had a great camp last year and I've heard the best player by far. Scored a goal also. It would be nice to see a Sask kid make it.

Haven't heard him mentioned much in the NCAA but I know Bekker and Welshman are two guys I'd expect to be given a shot

If his club doesn't release him there is no controversey.....it's really tough. What's more valuable. Helping Canada and making the Oly but possibly losing his spot, or staying in Scotland and keeping his spot but Canada maybe not making Oly? It'll be tough to qualify even with our very best.

Is making the Olympics but losing his spot more valuable in the long-run?

Anyway, it's up to his club I suppose.

He's young, and the teams he will play against are high quality - so St.J would benefit in that regard. BUT, if they lose games they lose money and that's not good either - and they'll put that ahead of CMNT or Habs. Which is fair.

I doubt we'll have anywhere near our best team.

They even have a freindly against mexico planned. Whereas we dont any such matches or preparation planned that i can see.

If the CSA have chosen to prioritize men's WCQ and women's WOQ in their resource allocation this year, then I have no complaints about lack of preparation for the U23s.

If the CSA have chosen to prioritize men's WCQ and women's WOQ in their resource allocation this year, then I have no complaints about lack of preparation for the U23s.

Fair enough and i dont have any compliants either if success is achieved at both the mens WCQ and the WOQ (mission accomplished). Its just ashame because i think that this is pretty good olympic qualifying team. Maybe it isnt better than the US and Mexico, and there are only two spots up for grabs. Going into olympic qualifying for 2008 and 2004, i didnt think we had much of chance for a wide variety of reasons but i think that this team is different. In the past we were over reliant euro based players (who had to leave their clubs on a non FIFA calendar date) and they were suplemented with NCAA players. Whereas this time we have a pool that should be mostly (if not all) professional and who are better acclimatized to the environment.

I still think final four is good bet and with break here or there, who knows. Preparation creates those breaks.

I'm pretty sure he also said something to the effect of, "The first rule about the U23s is that you don't talk about the U23s"

Ha ha! I can just see our U-23s standing outside the gates of the training pitch for days, waiting for Dasovic to let them in, like that scene in Fight Club with the old guy wanting in to the house.

Julien Latendresse Levesque tweeted that he declined the U23 call. I'm assuming it's because he just returned from a 5 month injury layoff ?

He seems unhappy about turning it down so it must be related to the injury. He only started training on Jan 31st. His actual wording in the tweet was:

Had to decline the invitation for the National Team U-23... It's sucks !!!

Archived