U17 WCQ: Canada vs T&T Quarter-Final (February 23rd, 2011)

jpg75

Panama is a game I expect us to win, as the announcer said we have been the best team in the tournament now lets win the whole thing!

Great effort from everyone today that first half was unreal but we slowed down the pace and let T and T attack us we'll need to work on that as that won't fly in the WC

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just awesome! Well done boys!

I made my social studies class watch this morning and they cheered like they did at the Olympics last year when Canada won an event! Good thing my admin didn't come in. Trying to explain why a soccer game was being shown when students were suppose to be doing Social Studies mighthave been hard to justify!

To see one of your former players work so hard and succeed like this is just incredible! Worth the risk!

Just awesome! Well done boys!

I made my social studies class watch this morning and they cheered like they did at the Olympics last year when Canada won an event! Good thing my admin didn't come in. Trying to explain why a soccer game was being shown when students were suppose to be doing Social Studies mighthave been hard to justify!

To see one of your former players work so hard and succeed like this is just incredible! Worth the risk!

Good for showing them, I know my brothers friend showed his class the Canada Greece match the other week. Which player did you coach?

The academy system is already paying dividends you can see it in the technical level of the players, we were a class above Trinidad today even getting a little cocky in the first half which was nice to see. It was good to see all these guys we've been hearing about, Jordan Hamilton for a 14 year old is huge and technically gifted it seemed one definitely for the future.

Good for showing them, I know my brothers friend showed his class the Canada Greece match the other week. Which player did you coach?

The academy system is already paying dividends you can see it in the technical level of the players, we were a class above Trinidad today even getting a little cocky in the first half which was nice to see. It was good to see all these guys we've been hearing about, Jordan Hamilton for a 14 year old is huge and technically gifted it seemed one definitely for the future.

Daniel Stanese.

The student now want to watch the World Cup in June. It's test time. Might be tough. I know I'll be watching on my laptop. Might be some cheating going on!

Bloody TSN.

You got a main page with their 3 top articles on a NBA trade (yawn), NHL trade RUMOURS (yawn), Curling (I like curling, but cmon). Side bar articles of more NHL trade RUMOURS, NHL coach health and what a retired NHLer thinks of the organization his kid plays for.

U17 Makes the world cup and only gets a side bar piece on the soccer section.

Shame on you TSN.

Not only the MLS Academies, goal scorer Chris Nanco is a product of Sigma FC Academy in Ontario

Congrats to the boys - it's feels like a long time since we've qualified for a World Cup on the men's side. A positive sign that our move into MLS is paying dividends for the national team. I hope we get to watch the games with all the increased exposure, popularity and avenues for watching televised matches.

Fantastic! Terrific! A Canadian men's team beat a very good team and looked good doing it. Un-be-frickin'-lievable.

It's great to see the lads progress and all but T&T were very poor. We still have a bit of a problem in the final third. Against a stronger team we wouldn't get as many opportunities in front of goal as we did today, so we need to make sure we make the most of every opportunity.

Still, a good result. I like that Petrasso kid. He's got some skill.

It's great to see the lads progress and all but T&T were very poor. We still have a bit of a problem in the final third. Against a stronger team we wouldn't get as many opportunities in front of goal as we did today, so we need to make sure we make the most of every opportunity.

Still, a good result. I like that Petrasso kid. He's got some skill.

Were they that poor though? I think its more to do with how effective we were out there, I've only seen 4 teams play so far (CR, Panama, T&T & us) but we've easily been the best movers of the ball and most sound defensively as the Jamaican announcer attested too.

Though i find the trend of our youth teams having a large number of MLS Academy products on them a good thing, i will play devil's advocate regarding this particular squad. If you look at the players from the 3 teams, particularly the Whitecaps contributions you'll find that a fair number of these kids have barely joined their team yet or have been playing for only a year.

Alderson, Cain and Polakiewicz just joined the Caps over the winter. They were playing for Portugal FC in the CSL last year.

Carreiro was playing for his youth club in Manitoba last year and just joined TFC this winter, ditto for Jay Chapman (Ajax). Aleman and Petrasso were in their first year with TFC last year as 15 year olds.

Since last year was the first true season of Impact Academie their 3 kids on the team have obviously only played one season with them as well.

Though i find the trend of our youth teams having a large number of MLS Academy products on them a good thing, i will play devil's advocate regarding this particular squad. If you look at the players from the 3 teams, particularly the Whitecaps contributions you'll find that a fair number of these kids have barely joined their team yet or have been playing for only a year.

Alderson, Cain and Polakiewicz just joined the Caps over the winter. They were playing for Portugal FC in the CSL last year.

Carreiro was playing for his youth club in Manitoba last year and just joined TFC this winter, ditto for Jay Chapman (Ajax). Aleman and Petrasso were in their first year with TFC last year as 15 year olds.

Since last year was the first true season of Impact Academie their 3 kids on the team have obviously only played one season with them as well.

Well, I would say to that, that its the ability to leverage from the private entities ( in this case the clubs) in the recruiting process that this the reason for the success. Did we have weaker players before? I dont think so. I think that the problem before was identifying the players and picking the best ones. Thats was all left up to the CSA and its limited resources in the past. Many who weren't picked, probably quit the game. Now that process is done by entities who have a vested interest in ensure that the best talent is identified. The CSA just has to come in a picks from the cream of the crop. So their job is IMMENSELY EASIER and thats the big difference.

Before, everything was left up to the CSA on its limited budget. No national program in any country can thrive under those circumstances.

also having kids in Europe was also crap for soccer in Canada because you know absolutely nothing them.

Archived