March friendly opponent(s)

I have no problem with trying to beat them, but saying we should beat them in Panama is stretching it. If we can swipe a draw down there that would be a good result.

I would say a draw would be an expected result, Panama has improved but with our talent we should be able to handle a team like that on the pitch we all know our team on their game would.

Might as well at least try now so that when we come up against them in Panama during WCQ we'll at least have gained some experience of playing in Panama. They are the hump I see us having to overcome before even taking on Honduras or Costa Rica.

I totally agree as well. Why the CSA doesn't schedule more friendlies against the teams we will face in WCQ I don't know. Know thy enemy! Besides if we do crush teams like Panama, Cuba, Jamaica, etc... a few times it will stick in their brains. Mind you that only works if we win.

My initial thought towards taking on Panama and Cuba is that if we beat them, it would be pretty much guaranteed that we should jump ahead of them in CONCACAF. At least, it only makes sense. I know it all comes down to the points, but we need to face each of them on their home turf for maximum return.

My initial thought towards taking on Panama and Cuba is that if we beat them, it would be pretty much guaranteed that we should jump ahead of them in CONCACAF. At least, it only makes sense. I know it all comes down to the points, but we need to face each of them on their home turf for maximum return.

Actually, home/away no longer factors into the equation.

^Was just about to post this. Why is it that the USA is playing Chile, Paraguay, Egypt and Argentia from now until March and the only team we are playing is Greece? That is pretty sad. If we can get 2 friendlies in the March period that would be acceptable then. But we can't miss the Janurary period, and then only play once in March.

^ Because Canada can't host during the winter, has limited funds and is not an attractive opponent for many major nations. It's the old Catch 22 of having to play games to improve but not being able to get any games because we are not respected.

We do need to get more games in, even if it means playing Panama in Panama City. I wouldn't mind that. I would still prefer Scotland in Toronto, but we do need to get some more games in so the squad have the opportunity to get to know one another before this summer's tourney.

I don't see why Scotland would play in Toronto. Why would they come to Toronto before playing another game in Europe? If I'm a member of the Scottish FA, I would not even consider even if it was the USA.

Respect is earned, not deserved.

Yeah we put in a few good performances recently. But until Canada is doing that regularly, people are going to laugh at us. The way to continue to put in strong performances? Line up good opponents and get results regularly.

But we do need to boost our FIFA ranking a bit before June. So that means we need a couple weaker (not necessarily minnows, but those would help) sides in friendlies.

Respect is earned, not deserved.

Yeah we put in a few good performances recently. But until Canada is doing that regularly, people are going to laugh at us. The way to continue to put in strong performances? Line up good opponents and get results regularly.

But we do need to boost our FIFA ranking a bit before June. So that means we need a couple weaker (not necessarily minnows, but those would help) sides in friendlies.

Oh I completely agree with you. I just wanted to post that video.

Well, in March prior to GC 07 Hart had a training camp and friendly in Bermuda. I wonder if that is a viable option again?

Well, in March prior to GC 07 Hart had a training camp and friendly in Bermuda. I wonder if that is a viable option again?

We've had a camp before the tournament for both the Gold Cup's under Hart. We played Venezuela before the 07 Gold Cup, and before the 09 Gold Cup we played Guatemala

Archived