March friendly opponent(s)

Atleast according to the FIFA home page Iran, Ecuador, Paraguay, Columbia, El Salvador and Guatemala are all free in late March. Any one of these countries would be acceptable to me. With two international dates so close at the end of march a South or Central American tour would be awsome.

Atleast according to the FIFA home page Iran, Ecuador, Paraguay, Columbia, El Salvador and Guatemala are all free in late March. Any one of these countries would be acceptable to me. With two international dates so close at the end of march a South or Central American tour would be awsome.

Shame we can't play El Salvador and Guatemala for FIFA boosters pre-WCQ draw...

For the March 25/26 date, the UEFA teams still available include Turkey, Scotland, Sweden, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, San Marino, and Liechtenstein. Any of the first three would be nice. The last three not so much.

For the Tuesday March 29 date there's still a massive boatload of teams available from UEFA and Africa. Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers are only on during the weekend so almost all teams are still free for the midweek date. It would be a bit ridiculous if we can't find a game on this date.

For the March 25/26 date, the UEFA teams still available include Turkey, Scotland, Sweden, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, San Marino, and Liechtenstein. Any of the first three would be nice. The last three not so much.

For the Tuesday March 29 date there's still a massive boatload of teams available from UEFA and Africa. Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers are only on during the weekend so almost all teams are still free for the midweek date. It would be a bit ridiculous if we can't find a game on this date.

Well we do need to boost our FIFA ranking. Faroe Islands, San Marino and Liechtenstein!

This all depends one what's more important, a strong, well tested squad going into the Gold Cup and then WCQs? Or a better FIFA ranking going into WCQs?

To my mind, it's the first one, and so I think Scotland at BMO Field would be the best bet. Scotland are not so strong as to be insurmountable, yet good enough to give us a strong test going into the Gold Cup. FIFA rankings be damned!

Lets be realistic here. Scotland is a big enough team that I doubt they want to play outdoors in Toronto at the end of March nor indoors on aritificial turf. On the other hand they are also to not a big enough team to warrant the expense of putting natural grass in an indoor venue. Plus TFC in classic MLS ignore FIFA dates has their home opener on March 26th. If we are going to play Scotland it will be in Scotland but we are not a big draw so they will only be interested if they can't find anyone more attractive.

Lets be realistic here. Scotland is a big enough team that I doubt they want to play outdoors in Toronto at the end of March nor indoors on aritificial turf. On the other hand they are also to not a big enough team to warrant the expense of putting natural grass in an indoor venue. Plus TFC in classic MLS ignore FIFA dates has their home opener on March 26th. If we are going to play Scotland it will be in Scotland but we are not a big draw so they will only be interested if they can't find anyone more attractive.

You're right, they aren't coming over here that time of year! I missed the Canada-Scotland match at Easter Road, one of very few regrets I have in life, it would be a great road trip if they played in Scotland again!

Shame we can't play El Salvador and Guatemala for FIFA boosters pre-WCQ draw...

Seconded. Most of the time I am all for playing sides of slightly lesser, equal or greater quality for development and preperation. However, why the CSA hasnt caught on to the importance of planning friendlies that will boost our ranking before WCQ is beyond me. Although Im sure there are many people here whom can enlighten me. ;)

Some balance has to be struck between the two realisticly. But, the more games the better. Ideally I would like to see us play 9 plus games a year with a combination of minnow, lower middle, upper middle, and top 20 sides.

However, why the CSA hasnt caught on to the importance of planning friendlies that will boost our ranking before WCQ is beyond me.

You have to realise Canada isn't quite a special team - so many FAs will pass on this opportunity. Basically the CSA have to take what's being offered. The CSA have contacted a bunch of European and African teams but none were interested. Now, they're focusing on CONCACAF/CONMEBOL teams with Grenada and Cuba at the top of the list.

It's easier for teams like Honduras and Costa Rica to play the FIFA Ranking game, but for Canada it's quite difficult.

Might as well at least try now so that when we come up against them in Panama during WCQ we'll at least have gained some experience of playing in Panama. They are the hump I see us having to overcome before even taking on Honduras or Costa Rica.

Might as well at least try now so that when we come up against them in Panama during WCQ we'll at least have gained some experience of playing in Panama. They are the hump I see us having to overcome before even taking on Honduras or Costa Rica.

I agree 100% with this. We are comparing ourselves to the elite of CONCACAF in Costa Rica, Honduras etc. When we've yet to prove we are above the mediocre. We need to start proving we can beat Panama, El Salvador, Trindad and Tobago, Jamaica on a regular basis.

I have no problem with trying to beat them, but saying we should beat them in Panama is stretching it. If we can swipe a draw down there that would be a good result.

Archived