Canada Video Archive

Gian-Luca

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
26 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Wow.  our defending against Honduras in the 1991 Gold Cup match was atrocious...almost comical.

Yeah, it was when the CSL was in operation and they only allowed 2 or 3 players from each team to be play, so Waiters couldn't get the side he wanted. Forrest's replacement never got another cap.

I always felt bad for Carlo Marini. He was 19 and was playing in Italy, so there was reason to think he might have a future, but I don't think anyone expected him to have to play when he was named to the Gold Cup squad.

Gilberto Yearwood looks old and out of shape, but he still has class for days. What a player. And credit to Honduras. That was a good team. They drew Mexico, beat Costa Rica 2-0 and lost the final to the U.S. on penalties. 

Thanks for posting the video though. Beings back memories.

cheers, matthew

That Canada-Jamaica WCQ match stands out for me as the only WCQ held in southern Ontario after 1980 which I did not attend. I honestly can't remember why because I can recall watching the game on television, it may have been lack of funds as a young university student at the time or perhaps I had a family conflict (it was in November IIRC, which is was a heavy family-event month for me back in those days).

I've wanted to know the name of the song playing in this video ever since it's been on youtube (if it is indeed a released song). It's one of my top 5 favourite videos... gives me the chills. Anyways I contacted Canada soccer but no luck, if anyone could help me.

Thank you 

9 hours ago, Ngravs said:

I've wanted to know the name of the song playing in this video ever since it's been on youtube (if it is indeed a released song). It's one of my top 5 favourite videos... gives me the chills. Anyways I contacted Canada soccer but no luck, if anyone could help me.

Thank you 

I think Max Bell was the one who made the video. You can reach him on Twitter I think @TweetsByOffside as Offside Creative is his video production company. 

7 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

I think Max Bell was the one who made the video. You can reach him on Twitter I think @TweetsByOffside as Offside Creative is his video production company. 

Don't know that song, but there is a phone app where you can play the song to the phone and the app will identify it.  It is pretty cool.  Sorry don't know the name of the app but any young kid probably knows it.

9 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Don't know that song, but there is a phone app where you can play the song to the phone and the app will identify it.  It is pretty cool.  Sorry don't know the name of the app but any young kid probably knows it.

The app is Shazzam. Just tried it and it comes up as "Future" by Ryukyudisko Feat. Kotomi. It had an Asian symbol in the song name which might make finding it more difficult. BTW i'm 46.☺️

Edited by johnyb
updated

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

The app is Shazzam. Just tried it and it comes up as "Future" by Ryukyudisko Feat. Kotomi. It had an Asian symbol in the song name which might make finding it more difficult. BTW i'm 46.☺️

Didn’t realize when we met in line for Valour memberships that we were the same age. Thought I had (at least) a couple years on you. :)

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Btw, Max Bell is a good Winnipeg lad ... although I believe his family is actually from Ste Agathe. :)

5 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

No way only 20 mins south-east of me (Lorette)!

And actually when I workout in Steinbach 35 minutes I ran into the physio for the Canada Men's national team that had a clinic in the same building. He showed me a few cool souvenirs and gave me a couple of shirts! Small world 

4 hours ago, Ngravs said:

And actually when I workout in Steinbach 35 minutes I ran into the physio for the Canada Men's national team that had a clinic in the same building. He showed me a few cool souvenirs and gave me a couple of shirts! Small world 

Nice. Lucky to run into him. 

Oddly, I also ran into him flying back to Winnipeg from Montreal after the Curaçao game (and then had to drive back to Regina ... ugh). 

He seemed like an excellent guy. 

• 2 years later...