Toronto FC vs. Motagua - July 27th @BMO Field

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1st leg of the prelim. round of the CCL kicks off next Tuesday. This is big, we need to qualify for the group stage this time!

BTW, can anyone confirm that Amado Guevara retired?

Edit: Never mind, looks like he's still with them;

http://motagua.com/2010/07/20/en-motagua-estrenaron-balon/

Nice, scored south-side tickets to the Motagua match... Looks like I'll be visiting Toronto next week :D

Last year I was cheering against TFC at this stage but that was more because I was bitter about the caps getting screwed than anything else. This year I'm pulling for them to make it to the group stage just so we can get better seeding in the future.

Last year I was cheering against TFC at this stage but that was more because I was bitter about the caps getting screwed than anything else. This year I'm pulling for them to make it to the group stage just so we can get better seeding in the future.

Me too.

It's hard not to be a soccer fan in this country and on some level be a bit pragmatic about the success of the game on any level here.

Hoping for the abject failure of any soccer venture in this country is just the whole nose/face thing.... We are not there yet where hating anything can be a full time hobby.

It's hard not to be a soccer fan in this country and on some level be a bit pragmatic about the success of the game on any level here.

Hoping for the abject failure of any soccer venture in this country is just the whole nose/face thing.... We are not there yet where hating anything can be a full time hobby.

Completely agree, but I share the feelings of other Caps supporters last year when TFC fell out to PR Islanders, I was happy. After the dust settled I was also one of the ones that realized TFC really did nothing wrong in that Voyageurs Cup 09 they just beat up on a high school team that Limpact threw out... I'm over it now and although I will never cheer for TFC, I wouldn't mind if Canada got a better CCL seed in the future.

I hope all the Canadian clubs do well in every competition they are in. I have to say I am more excited about Champions League than normal league play. I guess with the knockout format it's easier to get excited from game to game. Also, TFC has Canadians in big roles, so if they do well, it's good for Canada. Hope to catch the game, it's too bad CBC isn't carrying it, might have to watch on the CONCACAF site.

On one hand, I hope they get stuffed.

On the other hand, a deep CCL run, combined with heavy media coverage, might help give Vancouver's entrance into MLS even greater hype.

Yes, same for me. A deep run is good for Canadian soccer all around....people were talking about L'Impact on their run, so imagine exposure from TFC.

A breakdown/countdown on the matchup and a bold prediction for a Toronto win:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Countdown_TFC_v_Motagua_july_26_10_news.shtml

Is the Honduran league really so rated? Olympia were really not fantastic when the Impact faced them. Not to say that TFC can afford to take them lightly at all, just surprised a lot of people seem to have them as the clear underdog.

Good analysis in the article, Motagua have not played since May 8th!! That's over 2 1/2 months and they just began training camp a couple of weeks ago, they will be rusty and out of game shape. The only saving grace for them is the heat and humidity today in Toronto. We're going to need to control the ball and keep it from them to take advantage.

I'm not a big fan of Georgie Welcome, i just don't see what all the fuss is about. He's tall, scores alot in the Honduran league but i have not seen him do anything at the international level. Based on what i've seen i sure as hell wouldn't sign him if i was running Glasgow Rangers. Izaguirre and Mendoza are good defenders with solid technical skills, that will help them build up and possess the ball from the back.

Other players to watch out for: Ivan Guerrero the former MLS fullback/mid is a decent player, Jorge Claros is a bulldog of a d-mid and in net Canales is one of the top 3 Honduran keepers.

Motagua finished 1st in the Honduran league last tourny only to lose to Olimpia in the final. In the tourny before that they finished 2nd and then lost to Olimpia in the semi's.

I don't think the Honduran league is that great and i don't think this Motagua team is intimidating either, 2-0 TFC is a reasonable result.

AFAIK Canales was released right after the World Cup, which surprised me. I am hoping to see Johnny Leveron their young defender, though I have no idea if he’ll play.

I don’t think you can take CD Motagua lightly. They have some pretty good players in their side and should be quite difficult to play away. The fact that TFC doesn’t score a lot of goals and is in a slump, even by their standards, makes the away leg even more daunting.

The last two tournaments Maraton won all six of their group stage home matches pretty comfortably, two of those coming against MLS teams and two against MFL teams.

Two years ago Montreal was the only team to beat Olimpia at home. I think they’re performance in Honduras says more about the great form and performance of the Impact than it does about the lack of quality in Honduras.

I’m definitely hoping TFC can make a run this year. I think it’s good for Canadian soccer any time a Canadian club can make a deep Champions League run.

Oh and yes more great stuff from Red Nation online. Keep up the good work.

cheers,

matthew

For sure, I feel the same way.

Should be a good game, can't wait to watch, any word of starting XI, is Guevara still around or did he retire like he said he was after the WC

Archived