Canadian born TFC Academy player wants to play for Uruguay

jpg75

I wouldn't kick the guy out, but I would talk to him. If I were eligible for a country that is playing at the World Cup. I honnestly would think of playing for another country than Canada before. He probably doesn't even know that Canada has a team. Uruguay is in the semis, of course he would love to play for those guys. He doesn't understand. My parents are Haitian. I've heard about their 1974 World Cup appearance. Did I hear something about Canada in 1986? No. Canada would have been my second choice for soccer, because I was ignorant to Canadian soccer.

The only reason I became a fan of Canada is when I bought World Tour Soccer 05 that had Canada in it and then I started to follow that team and ended up on the CSA and The Voyageurs' site. The lack of exposure and success doesn't help a kid to understand that he could play for Canada. Give him a break.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't kick the guy out, but I would talk to him. If I were eligible for a country that is playing at the World Cup. I honnestly would think of playing for another country than Canada before. He probably doesn't even know that Canada has a team. Uruguay is in the semis, of course he would love to play for those guys. He doesn't understand. My parents are Haitian. I've heard about their 1974 World Cup appearance. Did I hear something about Canada in 1986? No. Canada would have been my second choice for soccer, because I was ignorant to Canadian soccer.

The only reason I became a fan of Canada is when I bought World Tour Soccer 05 that had Canada in it and then I started to follow that team and ended up on the CSA and The Voyageurs' site. The lack of exposure and success doesn't help a kid to understand that he could play for Canada. Give him a break.

Are you kidding me? He's on the TFC academy. A large handful of his teammates are playing for Canada's youth sides. How on God's earth can he be so dumb founded and oblivious to the CSA and their soccer system as you seem to imply? He knows full well he can play for Canada.

My opinion on this issue has always been thus:

a) Yeah, it sucks when we lose quality players like Begovic, Owen, Fernandes, etc., but if they have no passion for our country then we don't want them. The only one of those three to represent us at youth level was Begovic and as far as I'm concerned he only did so as a showcase for himself. We don't need selfish players demanding special attention, declining call-ups or putting in half-assed efforts for our side.

B) There are a lot of players past and present in CMNT (the latest being Pedro Pacheco) who wouldn't have been playing for us if we were to apply the same logic in reverse.

Hello futboleros!!!!

I'm happy to have found this site! I’m new and this will be my first message which will not be likeable to many of you.

I’m from Peru and I have a son (born in Canada) who is 9 years old and loves and plays soccer U-9 in the province of Quebec. Guess who’s the coach of his team? Guess which country his coach would like him to play for?

I love Canada and I would love to see the Canadian team playing a world cup but honestly I believe that this will not happen any time soon (This is a different topic I will expand on a different thread)

The provincial soccer federations need to focus more on developing soccer players than charging hundreds of dollars per season to parents who would love to see their kids playing for Canada. Canada has the young players and the infrastructure to develop a strong team but its weakness is the organization of soccer in this country.

I need to see changes in the Canadian soccer or my son will end up playing for the country where he wasn’t born.

I’ll leave you with the following question so you can start thinking about Canada playing the world cup in 2014. “Do you think Canada is able to build a strong team when its national tournament has 3 professional teams?”

Hello futboleros!!!!

I'm happy to have found this site! I’m new and this will be my first message which will not be likeable to many of you.

I’m from Peru and I have a son (born in Canada) who is 9 years old and loves and plays soccer U-9 in the province of Quebec. Guess who’s the coach of his team? Guess which country his coach would like him to play for?

I love Canada and I would love to see the Canadian team playing a world cup but honestly I believe that this will not happen any time soon (This is a different topic I will expand on a different thread)

The provincial soccer federations need to focus more on developing soccer players than charging hundreds of dollars per season to parents who would love to see their kids playing for Canada. Canada has the young players and the infrastructure to develop a strong team but its weakness is the organization of soccer in this country.

I need to see changes in the Canadian soccer or my son will end up playing for the country where he wasn’t born.

I’ll leave you with the following question so you can start thinking about Canada playing the world cup in 2014. “Do you think Canada is able to build a strong team when its national tournament has 3 professional teams?”

Have you seen the Peruvian national team play lately? I agree with some of your points, but I think Canada has a better chance of making future World Cups at the moment then Peru.

Sorry I did not see this thread sooner. Enjoyed every comment. It is great to see the passion for the homeland and the passion we all have for Canada on the soccer front. The World Cup always seems to whip everyone's multicultural ties. The truest test of the multicultural passion will be put to the test the day Canada once again qualifies.

The who will you cheer for card will truly be on display then. Me thinks, we'd all be shocked on how many would still go against the red and white, especially in Toronto. I hope I'm wrong.

But saying that, I know my ass will be in some stadium seat in 2014, 2018, 2022, whenever....belting out O'Canada at the top of my lungs.

Have you seen the Peruvian national team play lately? I agree with some of your points, but I think Canada has a better chance of making future World Cups at the moment then Peru.

Lately? Not really. I followed many of the WC qualifying games. It was a nightmare!!! Peru's performance was considered as the worst in our history. Having so many good players, the coach (Del Solar) at that time, failed to qualify the national team for south africa 2010. He's considered the worst coach in our soccer history. Today we have a new coach Sergio Markarian who has brought hope.

I don't agree that Canada has better chances of making future WC than Peru. I believe that Canada has many chances of making future WCs but we need changes. We have many young players with a lot of potential but the way how the CSA is managing the soccer in Canada is not helping at all. Canada has to implement a foundation, a based to let future players to rely on and that's done by having a competitive national tournament where the teams have academies, and minors divisions because this is where the young will learn and develope as players.

You don't know too much about CONCACAF & Canada if you think Peru has a higher probability of qualifying. Second, yes Canada football has many issues but why run away from it if you're living in Canada and call yourself a Cdn. Does a soldier run away when he sees enemy fire whistling by him?

Third, the CSA as with many other national football orgs aren't the primary reason why playes aren't developing. Instead, it's the pro system that does it and we're just starting at developing the pro system and academy structure after being in the wilderness for 20 years.

You don't know too much about CONCACAF & Canada if you think Peru has a higher probability of qualifying. Second, yes Canada football has many issues but why run away from it if you're living in Canada and call yourself a Cdn. Does a soldier run away when he sees enemy fire whistling by him?

Third, the CSA as with many other national football orgs aren't the primary reason why playes aren't developing. Instead, it's the pro system that does it and we're just starting at developing the pro system and academy structure after being in the wilderness for 20 years.

I think what you say about the pro system and academies is bang on! We developed some very good home grown players in the old NASL days! We could be turning the corner now! Whether that equates to qualification in 2014, who knows, it may take more time!

The difference between Canada and Peru is that Peru has many more years of experience than Canada in soccer. Peru has built a strong local tournament with 16 professional teams. Most of these teams have academies and minor divisions who also participate in a local tournament.

I know enough about CONCACAF to have my own opinion. I don’t know too much about the Canadian team but I believe that Canada has the potential to qualify but we need changes in our soccer system which is based on city clubs, provincial teams and three professional teams. I just see so many divisions , so many teams but I just see three professional teams. This should change!!!

A soldier may desert if his country does not give him what he needs in order to go to war.

I personally would love my son to play for Canada, his country but if I see that Canadian soccer is still in the wilderness I would like him to play for a country whose soccer is not in the wilderness. It will be his choice. And to make things more complicated I’m paying hundreds of $$$ so he can train and play in a competitive league … then why couldn’t I/he choose where to play?

I think that the CSA is the main reason why Canadian soccer is underdeveloped. Isn’t the pro system governed by the CSA? Like you said, Canada is starting to develop the pro system and academy structure. This will help to create a strong national team but this will not give its results tomorrow.

The difference between Canada and Peru is that Peru has many more years of experience than Canada in soccer. Peru has built a strong local tournament with 16 professional teams. Most of these teams have academies and minor divisions who also participate in a local tournament.

I know enough about CONCACAF to have my own opinion. I don’t know too much about the Canadian team but I believe that Canada has the potential to qualify but we need changes in our soccer system which is based on city clubs, provincial teams and three professional teams. I just see so many divisions , so many teams but I just see three professional teams. This should change!!!

A soldier may desert if his country does not give him what he needs in order to go to war.

I personally would love my son to play for Canada, his country but if I see that Canadian soccer is still in the wilderness I would like him to play for a country whose soccer is not in the wilderness. It will be his choice. And to make things more complicated I’m paying hundreds of $$$ so he can train and play in a competitive league … then why couldn’t I/he choose where to play?

I think that the CSA is the main reason why Canadian soccer is underdeveloped. Isn’t the pro system governed by the CSA? Like you said, Canada is starting to develop the pro system and academy structure. This will help to create a strong national team but this will not give its results tomorrow.

Like it or not, it's this type of attitude that kills momentum for youth in soccer. Let's assume that your son becomes the next Canadian hope and decides to play for another country rather than Canada. It serves as just as much of a blow to development as not having more than 3 professional teams and everything else you cited. All of the plans, academy structure, marketing and hype will mean nothing if canadians feel they can be uncanadian when it suits them.

Like it or not, it's this type of attitude that kills momentum for youth in soccer. Let's assume that your son becomes the next Canadian hope and decides to play for another country rather than Canada. It serves as just as much of a blow to development as not having more than 3 professional teams and everything else you cited. All of the plans, academy structure, marketing and hype will mean nothing if canadians feel they can be uncanadian when it suits them.

Of course this is affecting soccer in Canada, but why is this happening? Is soccer being well managed/structured/developed/taught in Canada? Instead of aiming to MLS we should aim our national tournament, work here at home. I think that these born canadian players wishing to play for other countries need to see changes otherwise this will continue. First let's implemet these changes, work on our future players and we will see the results.

Of course this is affecting soccer in Canada, but why is this happening? Is soccer being well managed/structured/developed/taught in Canada? Instead of aiming to MLS we should aim our national tournament, work here at home. I think that these born canadian players wishing to play for other countries need to see changes otherwise this will continue. First let's implemet these changes, work on our future players and we will see the results.

Meh.

I think players that point to structural problems are using that as a ready-made excuse to justify their decision. There are a ton of national associations that are worse off than ours.

What I find interesting is that your last post before this one talks about how your son is free to choose and should choose the program with the better structure. Representing a country on the international stage should not be a choice. In your heart of hearts, you should already know that you are Canadian or Peruvian or English or Irish or Chinese etc. The choice should be made for you.

(BTW, I'm not judging you or your son's decisions, I'm just coming at it from my experience)

Meh.

I think players that point to structural problems are using that as a ready-made excuse to justify their decision. There are a ton of national associations that are worse off than ours.

What I find interesting is that your last post before this one talks about how your son is free to choose and should choose the program with the better structure. Representing a country on the international stage should not be a choice. In your heart of hearts, you should already know that you are Canadian or Peruvian or English or Irish or Chinese etc. The choice should be made for you.

(BTW, I'm not judging you or your son's decisions, I'm just coming at it from my experience)

It is not only structural problems. There are many other issues related to this topic. Unfortunately/fortunately my son has the choice due to my nationality (peruvian) ... Laws !!!! Stupid or not stupid? There is something missing in our young players ..... LOVE FOR OUR SOCCER.

Yes, he's white and red ... as the peruvian flag lol

^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA....OMG....that's funny....good one...whooooo....Holy ****, who knew Peruvians were such comedians...man, this guy is COOL. Get this man some Pisco and a Guinea Pig-kebab he deserves it...

Lets work on the part we have control over.

The stands at Canada games.

Make the stands rock and a great place to be.

We are a part of the puzzle, and one that is shaping up nicely I think.

Yes, we can make a difference .... This is one of the reasons why I'm coaching.

Yeah, this guy is yanking us.

There will always be people like this. If his son were to become an amazing, it's surely from his own Peruvian skill and despite coaching deficiencies in Canada. If his son doesn't get noticed, it's because Canadian coaching has let our youth down.

There will always be people like this. If his son were to become an amazing, it's surely from his own Peruvian skill and despite coaching deficiencies in Canada. If his son doesn't get noticed, it's because Canadian coaching has let our youth down.

You get me wrong and I understand because there will always be people who want the others to think like they do. BTW your final statement was really stupid.

oh id bet on that!

Archived