Canadian born TFC Academy player wants to play for Uruguay

jpg75

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps I'm getting pedantic here, but is there such thing as a Canadian "nationality"? The term "nation" is different from country/state... it's an emotional belonging, or the "tribe" that you psychologically are a part of. It's not the passport that you carry. That's why Quebec is a nation, the Iroquois are a nation, the Catalan and the Basque are both nations. I suppose a Canadian nationality exists if anyone feels that it exists, but if it does exist, it is certainly in a post-nation-state sense.

There are huge advantages to Canada not being a nation-state, but it makes it all the more tempting for post-Uruguay punks to turn their back on their true home country (Canada!) as well.

I kinda disagree, from a polisci point of view your kinda right, were not a nation state (neither is uruguay though), but it totally is a nationality, a bizarre one but one none the less, honestly I am mildly uncomfortable with the idea of living in a nation state because homogenity seems unnatural to me (as ironic as that is), if you were put in a room with strangers from around the world, you'd be pretty comfortable with most people you could speak to but you'd probably gravitate towards the other canadians.

There are alot of subtle features of our nationality but their there (the one I already mentioned is just a basic new world mentality where being the opposite of a nation state serves the same function as a nation state) like our english-french-native language influences (accent and words), 'them' to us is of course americans, we have an ambitious (we can do anything) attitude on life (similar to the old american attitude but I swear everything about the american psyche today says 'were peaking' were as with us, the future is our oyestor(sp?), like a giddy anticipation of 'imagine what we can do with this country in a 100 years'. There are certain factors like, for example, living on a small independant island that change your outlook, if you live on a small independant island, your goals for your country are going to look alot different (even when thinking a 100 years ahead with an equal expectation of quality of life) because theirs limitations on population and area whereas with us, we are pretty much only limited by our imagination...and the weather(example, bermuda will never be a mining capital of the world, you know the old anythings possible bit we really believe, not in this case). There are only two large land based continental english countries in the new world, and one french, were one of both, were also kinda self depricating but there is no escaping the fact where a unique bunch of people.

now here me fully declining into a rant but to tie it all up, there's a sad kinda quebecois outlook some people have that their 'alone', they were declared a 'nation' a while ago (although I always thought as true as it may be, alot places like newfoundland could make the same claim) but I just want to say, I don't believe your actually alone, if quebec seperated and say an economic disaster hit (I doubt this would happen, quebec has been economically viable for independance since like the 50's or 60's), we all know france wouldn't save you, and we'd probably say we wouldn't leading up to a vote, but the fact of the matter is, we still would help, because were family. If quebec is in trouble, no one else but the rest of canada is going to feel obligated to help. Because were so self depricating it may feel like you won a joke prize but I sincerly mean it when I say "one of us...one of us.."

While we're on the topic, my son, who's spent ages 0-1.5 in Canada, 1.5 - 5.5 in the Netherlands and 5.5 - 6.5 in Germany told me as we watching the World Cup that he didn't know if he wanted to play for Germany or Holland. I told him he should play for Canada and he responded that "they never make it".

Needless to say I sat him down and a little chat about the difference between club and international soccer, encouraging him to choose with his heart, rather than be opportunistic. I believe it worked since he has been asking about world cup qualification and exclaming that he "really hopes that Canada makes it next time".

So long as the women qualify for next year, I reckon that a few WWC matches should instill some more patriotism in him.

While we're on the topic, my son, who's spent ages 0-1.5 in Canada, 1.5 - 5.5 in the Netherlands and 5.5 - 6.5 in Germany told me as we watching the World Cup that he didn't know if he wanted to play for Germany or Holland. I told him he should play for Canada and he responded that "they never make it".

Needless to say I sat him down and a little chat about the difference between club and international soccer, encouraging him to choose with his heart, rather than be opportunistic. I believe it worked since he has been asking about world cup qualification and exclaming that he "really hopes that Canada makes it next time".

So long as the women qualify for next year, I reckon that a few WWC matches should instill some more patriotism in him.

Been there Saviola!!! That's what we need to teach our kids .... choose with your heart rather than being opportunistic.

You get me wrong and I understand because there will always be people who want the others to think like they do. BTW your final statement was really stupid.

As soon as "really stupid" comes out, I bow out of internet chats.

But thank you for coaching soccer, and good luck to you and yours.

Having Polish heritage, I support both the Canadian and Polish National Teams. However, I will never ever go on the streets of Toronto for example and wave the Polish flag like a lunatic. What I saw during the World Cup with these people waving the flags of other countries, screaming/yelling, clogging the streets up, honking horns, etc (aka Portuguese fans) is disrespectful to the country of Canada. Mind you, a lot of the idiots doing this are born in Canada, have very distant connections to the country they're cheering for, or no connection at all. I think it's fine to be proud of your heritage, since it's part of who you are, but show some respect to the country you live in and gave you and your family so many opportunities. I don't know why, but when CBC showed the different fans doing that it really irritated me.

As for the national team, I think it really is up to the person. I would have no problem with Asmir Begovic playing for Bosnia, but he did it for an opportunistic reason, since they had a better chance of making the World Cup at the time, and the time and money Canada invested in the kid as he was part of our youth setup. Similar situation with Owen H. If someone is genuine in their interest to play for another country, for example wants to represent his grandfather who he was close to, I would have no problem with that. This day and age it's all about the glory, fame, money, etc, and with the new rules of being able to switch national teams as long as the matches played are just friendlies, it makes national soccer like club soccer.

Great job, Saviola! Perhaps your son may be the one that can help Canada reach that goal.

I don't post here much and I hope I don't ruffle any feathers. This is simply what I believe, myself having immigrated to Canada 15 years ago. This country gave me everything I have and everything my kids now have. The country of my birth has been in 3 of the last 4 World Cups and I still love it dearly. To me, it is simply unfathomable that anyone who is born and raised here, or has been primarily raised here, could even consider playing for another national team. My kids are only 2 and 4 years old now but if my kids ever want to play for the country of MY birth while having no connection to living there and spending considerable time there themselves, I will be ashamed that I did not do a good enough job teaching them about what Canada did for their dad and his family. Maybe Canada won't give them the best opportunity for a successful World Cup career, but Canada has given them food on their table and the best, safest, and most privilidged lifestyle in the world, and the least my kids can do if their passion does turn out to be soccer is choose to represent Canada so that when they have their own kids, Canada will be able to give THEIR kids the very best opportunity in international soccer. Just my opinion.

I don't post here much and I hope I don't ruffle any feathers. This is simply what I believe, myself having immigrated to Canada 15 years ago. This country gave me everything I have and everything my kids now have. The country of my birth has been in 3 of the last 4 World Cups and I still love it dearly. To me, it is simply unfathomable that anyone who is born and raised here, or has been primarily raised here, could even consider playing for another national team. My kids are only 2 and 4 years old now but if my kids ever want to play for the country of MY birth while having no connection to living there and spending considerable time there themselves, I will be ashamed that I did not do a good enough job teaching them about what Canada did for their dad and his family. Maybe Canada won't give them the best opportunity for a successful World Cup career, but Canada has given them food on their table and the best, safest, and most privilidged lifestyle in the world, and the least my kids can do if their passion does turn out to be soccer is choose to represent Canada so that when they have their own kids, Canada will be able to give THEIR kids the very best opportunity in international soccer. Just my opinion.

Great Post! I wish more people felt the way you do canucker!

entrenador, I'm sure you'd agree that it would be a great day if BOTH Canada and Peru would make it to Brazil in 2014. hope your son chooses the country that he lives in.

Redhat, I'd be very happy if both countries qualified. My son is 9 years old and he has a lot of time to figure it out if he decides to continue playing soccer.

That's exactly how I feel.

Let's be honest, many people are only Canadians when it's "convenient".

Really what good are most Latin American passports? No wonder a lot of people get their citizenship here.

Anyways if it was my kid and they wanted to play for the country of my parents (El Salvador), i'd 1st question his sanity and then ask why?

I wouldn't understand how the hell he'd feel less Canadian, especially since he'd not have grown up there.. I'd feel like I failed.

If he did choose a country other than Canada, I'd feel horrible...

On a side note though, doesn't it not really make a dif as long as one has an EU passport?

You came on to the Canadian Supporters site and told us you want your Canadian-born son to play for Peru, what did you expect?

And so what? I'm not allowed to give my opinion, my ideas? I came here to discuss about canadian soccer ... the good the bad the ugly ... I expect to find people open to different opinions who can handle what others think about Canadian soccer. Why do people need to be sarcastic?

Today if he had to choose I would have liked him to play for Peru. Why? Because I think it would be the best for him. A father always looks for what is better for his son!!!!

I would love my son to play for Canada. I would love my son to play for Peru. I love both countries. If I’m here is for a reason. I teach soccer here in Canada for a reason … I want to help Canadian soccer to progress. I would like my son to play for a strong team, the team he feels identified with and whom he loves.

And so what? I'm not allowed to give my opinion, my ideas? I came here to discuss about canadian soccer ... the good the bad the ugly ... I expect to find people open to different opinions who can handle what others think about Canadian soccer. Why do people need to be sarcastic?

Today if he had to choose I would have liked him to play for Peru. Why? Because I think it would be the best for him. A father always looks for what is better for his son!!!!

I would love my son to play for Canada. I would love my son to play for Peru. I love both countries. If I’m here is for a reason. I teach soccer here in Canada for a reason … I want to help Canadian soccer to progress. I would like my son to play for a strong team, the team he feels identified with and whom he loves.

You are entitled to your opinion as am I. My opinion is that people who move to this country for a better life and then turnaround and cheer/choose the old country before Canada are ingrates. That is what this thread is about, a Canadian-born player who is being given an opportunity by a Canadian club wants to play for another country (Uruguay) and how much of a little douchebag that kid is.

Now he you are coming on here telling us how your Canadian-born son is on the fence (your decision, not his - and lets hope he makes the right choice) and that you would rather he play for Peru because they have better soccer infrastructure. As crappy as our pro environment is the youth infrastructure has actually given growth to some top-end talents that unfortunately have either turned their back on their country or are still undecided. How much better would our NT be right now if we had the likes of ********** (barring injuries), Fernandes, Jono De Guzman and Hoilett? If everyone had a little more backbone and made the unpopular, but right choice we'd be a favourite to make the WC. Do you see why people might not like think your line of thinking considering past history?

By the way, thank you for coaching and giving back to the community.

Serious question: When your son hits a development crossroads in about 3 or 4 years will you want him to move to Peru to play in one of the club academies there? If he were good enough to be selected to play in the Impact or TFC U14 Academy team and he had a similar offer from Sporting Cristal or Allianza Lima which academy would you choose?

^ You summed things up quite well jpg! This is a Canadian Soccer Supporters board and alot of posters here have had enough of some of these attitudes! I think people have been respectful to Mr. Peru for the most part even when their opinions were called "very stupid"! As has been mentioned, I respect the dude for coaching kids, we need people to come forward and contribute but that's where it ends for me! Hopefully Canada gives Peru a spanking and opens the 9 year old budding national team players' eyes!

You are entitled to your opinion as am I. My opinion is that people who move to this country for a better life and then turnaround and cheer/choose the old country before Canada are ingrates. That is what this thread is about, a Canadian-born player who is being given an opportunity by a Canadian club wants to play for another country (Uruguay) and how much of a little douchebag that kid is.

Now he you are coming on here telling us how your Canadian-born son is on the fence (your decision, not his - and lets hope he makes the right choice) and that you would rather he play for Peru because they have better soccer infrastructure. As crappy as our pro environment is the youth infrastructure has actually given growth to some top-end talents that unfortunately have either turned their back on their country or are still undecided. How much better would our NT be right now if we had the likes of ********** (barring injuries), Fernandes, Jono De Guzman and Hoilett? If everyone had a little more backbone and made the unpopular, but right choice we'd be a favourite to make the WC. Do you see why people might not like think your line of thinking considering past history?

By the way, thank you for coaching and giving back to the community.

Serious question: When your son hits a development crossroads in about 3 or 4 years will you want him to move to Peru to play in one of the club academies there? If he were good enough to be selected to play in the Impact or TFC U14 Academy team and he had a similar offer from Sporting Cristal or Allianza Lima which academy would you choose?

Good to know that I’m entitled to my opinions, but … come on … no need for sarcastic comments. I’ve seen this type of comments in this forum a few times and makes me wonder what’s going on.

I respect your opinion. Also take into consideration that what these players are looking for is recognition so they can reach the objective ( play for a big team) and they choose what they think is the best in this short career (soccer player)

We can go in circles here. I hope that this attitude will change but this problem needs to be fixed here at home building a strong soccer environment so our players don’t look outside to play for other national teams.

Serious answer: That’s a difficult question. I played for Alianza Lima for many years when I was a kid and I would love to see my son sweating the “blanquiazul”. I think I would choose Alianza Lima academy.

Why? Because Alianza lima academy …

- has more experience in the soccer world

- has given to peru many of our best players

- has given to the world good players

- has a competitive minor division tournament

^ You summed things up quite well jpg! This is a Canadian Soccer Supporters board and alot of posters here have had enough of some of these attitudes! I think people have been respectful to Mr. Peru for the most part even when their opinions were called "very stupid"! As has been mentioned, I respect the dude for coaching kids, we need people to come forward and contribute but that's where it ends for me! Hopefully Canada gives Peru a spanking and opens the 9 year old budding national team players' eyes!

Gator, I think we all support canadian soccer, right? We are in the same book but we all are not on the same pages. We all want Canadian soccer to get stronger and see the NT in a world cup.

I refer to “very stupid” to a sarcastic comment.

Hahaha Gator, my 9 year old is coming with me, same my girlfriend and my 6 month old little boy and yes it would be great if Canada wins in front of my kid’s eyes … that would be a good thing.

I have been reading the Voyageurs for a number of years..and finally decided to make my first post, ...here is food for thought.. I heard the kid from the tfc academy who made the comment is a 94 and is part of the u17 national team roster. The tfc junior roster has not been updated so the kids name is not on the list. The question I would have for this kid is if he wants to play for Uruguay, why is he here playing for the U17 Canadian Team, why is he at the tfc academy ? Is he good enough for the Uruguay u17? A lot of the print I see coming out of the tfc academy and some of the academy players parents (Globe and Mail) is all smoke and mirrors, self serving promotion. A kid born in Canada whose parents are from Columbia goes to Portugal to become a soccer player... give me a break...you mean that the academies in Columbia were not good enough for this kid. We have kids better than this kid coming out of our ying-yangs in Portugal. Great goalies we have a shortage of...LOL A large number of the kids on the Canadian youth national teams or in the tfc academy will be playing soccer as a pass time in adulthood... I remember reading on this site a number of years ago about a future Canadian star named.... Joey...Todaro...... Lets talk about this tfc kid a couple of years from now, when the thread will read "Logans Run - TFC academy kids, where are they now".....

Archived