Canadian born TFC Academy player wants to play for Uruguay

jpg75

^ Hey Chalana, is the player who made the statement about playing for Uruguay Kevan Aleman?

As for Sergio Camargo (the Colombia-born kid who went to Portugal), he was also called up to the Canadian U17 team and that article said he actually wants to play for Canada. He's also pretty good, he played in the Academy game against Colo-Colo and was the only Jr. team member called up for the NCC game against the Whitecaps.

BTW, for those wondering why a kid born in Colombia is allowed to play for us under the new rules - i have no idea! I asked the CSA for clarification and i don't think they have any idea either. They told me he is a Canadian citizen and has a passport so he's able to play for us. So how does this change anything? The next Jono De Guzman could leave tomorrow and be suiting up for <insert world power> in a few years...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I think there should be a common sense approach to eligibility rules. If a kid is born in another country and moves to Canada for non-football reasons with their family, and they make a life in Canada, I think it's fair that they be expected to represent Canada. As a country of immigrants, we've always had players who were born elsewhere but grew up in Canada on our national team (from Randy Samuel right through to Mike Klukowski). We also have the cases of Carl Valentine and Marc Bircham. Carl Valentine, back in the early-eighties, could have been looked upon with cynicism when he represented Canada. He was born and raised in England but was never good enough to play for the country of his birth. 30 years later, I don't think you'll find anybody who can reflect negatively on that decision, either from Carl's POV or the CSA's. He's proven in that time that he's as Canadian as any of us. Marc Bircham, on the other hand, leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth, as it was a purely opportunistic, cynical part of international football.

^ Hey Chalana, is the player who made the statement about playing for Uruguay Kevan Aleman?

As for Sergio Camargo (the Colombia-born kid who went to Portugal), he was also called up to the Canadian U17 team and that article said he actually wants to play for Canada. He's also pretty good, he played in the Academy game against Colo-Colo and was the only Jr. team member called up for the NCC game against the Whitecaps.

BTW, for those wondering why a kid born in Colombia is allowed to play for us under the new rules - i have no idea! I asked the CSA for clarification and i don't think they have any idea either. They told me he is a Canadian citizen and has a passport so he's able to play for us. So how does this change anything? The next Jono De Guzman could leave tomorrow and be suiting up for <insert world power> in a few years...

I think this is the idea. The Columbian kid has been living in Canada for over 5 years and is a Canadian citizen. That's why he can play for us. I'm a little confused as to why you have no idea as it seems pretty straight forward.

Not to mention Chile and Uruguay have a very good crop of young players as well as Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay always being solid. Not even mentioning Colombia who has much more talent and a stronger national league as well as Ecuador and Venezuela is on the way up. Peru and and Bolivia are at the bottom and alot of they're success is because of altitude.

*edit in reference to Peru being dead last in SA.

Just to throw my humble 2 cents...My folks came from Italy. I would argue with them from a very young age how 110% Canadian I was. Canada first, always and forever. I'm respectful of my background but am a fierce and proud Canadian.

I remember how it felt attending matches (over 30 years ago) when other national teams played in Toronto and me sitting in Lamport or Varsity Stadium cheering for Canada...wondering why 90% of the "fans" who were obviously living/born here, were booing Canada. I felt truly alone in my allegiance to the Maple Leaf...No matter how I tried to articulate how important it was to support our nation, I was always "that dumb idiot".

Fast forward to the Canada/Jamaica tilt in Toronto...how hard it hit me....all red, all Canadian's, one voice...I stood there with three other friends, choked up, saying....'this is what I have been waiting for. This moment. Complete and utter support for Canada.' The other moment was when I "discovered" The Voyageurs and realised that are thousands out there that give a damn.

Like I tell my young children...you may have the heritage of Italy and Hungary in your background...but you're Canadian first and last. If there was ever a chance to represent this country in any facet, you better damn step up. It is because of you that will make a difference, to soldier on for us, to get us over the many hurdles we face within this sport.

It's up to all of us to ensure that the path is there for them. We are the ones yelling for the resources, the development, the infrastructure...the chance, the hope.

And therefore, it truly feels like a knife through the heart, when we lose our talent to...whomever.

Apologies for my rant.

Reading stuff like this just makes me sick. There are serious, serious problems with our modern sports culture, all over the world, but especially in this country. People my age have this sense of entitlement, instilled in them by parents who never say no and treat them like they're God's gift to the rest of humanity. Basically, they don't even see all the favours that come their way as such, and don't realize how lucky they are to have parents who are able to put them in competitive sports, they think they're just somehow entitled by birthright to all of it, and develop massively bloated heads from a young age. I see it everywhere, but nowhere is it more prevalent than in the world of competitive youth sports.

People wonder why modern players will leave their club at a drop of a hat for one offering more money, well, it's what they're taught from a young age. They're taught that since the teams they're playing on are only temporary, and eventually they'll move onto a higher level, they're taught to be selfish, and always look out for number one, because it's one's career that matters, not the team. I would be extremely, extremely shocked if any player currently under the age of 25 stays with the same club his whole career. In an earlier time, though, such was the norm. Luigi Riva played for friggin Cagliari of all teams for fourteen years, and he's one of the greatest players of all time. Nowadays there's no loyalty to a team, the only attachment players have is to money, and to their own egos.

"Uruguay is my country," that's a load of bull****. I was raised supporting Italy, and growing up the only league that even existed to me was Serie A, because my background is Italian, but I was born and raised here, going to Canadian schools, taking advantage of Canadian health care and the many other great benefits we have in this country, and growing up in Canadian culture. This kid is no different from all the other athletes his age, just looking to go to what he perceives as the highest bidder. Never mind the fact that he's coming up through the TFC Academy and playing extremely high level soccer at the expense of TFC, and playing for Canada's U-17 team at the expense of the CSA: he's God's gift to the Earth, all this is just owed to him, and he owes nobody anything back. The funny thing is that I'm 100% positive that if I had found myself with a choice between representing Canada and Italy, my family would have strongly encouraged me to play for Canada, because while I am of Italian heritage, I was born and raised in Canada, which makes me Canadian.

Just truly sickening. I despise my generation.

But anyway, it's not likely this kid is ever going to be good enough to play for Uruguay, anyway. Edinson Cavani, who started on the bench for Uruguay at the World Cup, just completed a move to Napoli for 16 million euros. They aren't some itty bitty nobodies on the international stage, he's going to have to be truly something to even get a look from them.

Not to mention Chile and Uruguay have a very good crop of young players as well as Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay always being solid. Not even mentioning Colombia who has much more talent and a stronger national league as well as Ecuador and Venezuela is on the way up. Peru and and Bolivia are at the bottom and alot of they're success is because of altitude.

*edit in reference to Peru being dead last in SA.

Villus, I agree with you about except that Peru always plays in Lima and Lima is located as high as 500 metres above sea level. Quito (ecuador) lies at 2800 metres above sea level and La Paz 4000 m above sea level.

I think this is the idea. The Columbian kid has been living in Canada for over 5 years and is a Canadian citizen. That's why he can play for us. I'm a little confused as to why you have no idea as it seems pretty straight forward.

These are laws about citizenship made by our governments. This kid was born in Colombia but if he has a Canadian passport is because he was permanent resident and then applied for the Canadian citizenship keeping as well his Colombian citizenship. Some countries allow to keep both nationalities. I give you my example … my son is born in Canada but I was born in Peru. He’s entitled to play for Canada (because he is Canadian) or Peru (because of my nationality). If he plays one official match for Canada he will not be allowed to play for Peru.

Under the new rule changes last year the residency requirement became 5 years consecutively after the age of 18.

The only thing i can think of is from the G&M article where the Camaragos discusses the move to Portugal and how the family would have had to move there. Is there a new FIFA mandate that any player under the age of 18 that moves to a different country has to be accompanied by his parent(s)? It would still create a loophole for the very ambitious and still lead to some poaching, but usually a family would only move for non-footballing reasons and maybe that's why a minor would be allowed to represent a country other than his birth country? Speculating here, but if anyone has any other ideas i'd like to hear them.

These are laws about citizenship made by our governments. This kid was born in Colombia but if he has a Canadian passport is because he was permanent resident and then applied for the Canadian citizenship keeping as well his Colombian citizenship. Some countries allow to keep both nationalities. I give you my example … my son is born in Canada but I was born in Peru. He’s entitled to play for Canada (because he is Canadian) or Peru (because of my nationality). If he plays one official match for Canada he will not be allowed to play for Peru.

I know the rules well. My comment wasn't directed at you.

Under the new rule changes last year the residency requirement became 5 years consecutively after the age of 18.

The only thing i can think of is from the G&M article where the Camaragos discusses the move to Portugal and how the family would have had to move there. Is there a new FIFA mandate that any player under the age of 18 that moves to a different country has to be accompanied by his parent(s)? It would still create a loophole for the very ambitious and still lead to some poaching, but usually a family would only move for non-footballing reasons and maybe that's why a minor would be allowed to represent a country other than his birth country? Speculating here, but if anyone has any other ideas i'd like to hear them.

I think this rule is more for players who move to a country specifically to play the sport at a particular club. However, our guy moved when he was around 5 years old, gained citizenship, and has been Canadian ever since. He didn't come here at 17 to play for TFC. He's basicially just another Canadian kid playing for the TFC academy, who just happened to be born elsewhere, nothing more. If FIFA had a problem with this, it would truly be retarded.

I think this rule is more for players who move to a country specifically to play the sport at a particular club. However, our guy moved when he was around 5 years old, gained citizenship, and has been Canadian ever since. He didn't come here at 17 to play for TFC. He's basicially just another Canadian kid playing for the TFC academy, who just happened to be born elsewhere, nothing more. If FIFA had a problem with this, it would truly be retarded.

That is what they are targeting, clearly. They don't want the countries with the strongest leagues recruiting young players and having them move there and gaining citizenship and then representing their new country. That's unfair.

But i have yet to see a rule specifying any residency requirement for youth players, or special exemptions for those moving to a country at a certain age or with their families. I interpret the new rule to mean that no youth player could make a switch and that it was meant to stop situations like the Jono De Guzman switch. If you weren't born in that country or didn't have a parent or grandparent born in that country then you had to wait until you had 5 years of residency after the age of 18 to be eligible. If this isn't the case then a player like Jr. Hoilett is still eligible to represent England as long as he gets a passport.

If it's still a free for all then i encourage the 3 pro clubs to start scouring Brasil and Argentina for families willing to move here with their prodigal sons and play for one of the Academy teams. In 5 years time we'd have a U20 team full of Latino All-Stars.

That is what they are targeting, clearly. They don't want the countries with the strongest leagues recruiting young players and having them move there and gaining citizenship and then representing their new country. That's unfair.

But i have yet to see a rule specifying any residency requirement for youth players, or special exemptions for those moving to a country at a certain age or with their families. I interpret the new rule to mean that no youth player could make a switch and that it was meant to stop situations like the Jono De Guzman switch. If you weren't born in that country or didn't have a parent or grandparent born in that country then you had to wait until you had 5 years of residency after the age of 18 to be eligible. If this isn't the case then a player like Jr. Hoilett is still eligible to represent England as long as he gets a passport.

Which leads me to believe that it's moving for soccer purposes. If a person moved to a country when they were 1, and is a citizen of the country he resides in, I highly doubt FIFA would bar him from playing for that country until he's 23. The rules probably have some sort of parameters I'm guessing, which again leads me to beleive the rule is specifically for kids moving to a country for soccer related purposes.

Also, why doesn't FIFA put a 5 year residency rule for the kids who want to play for their parent's or grandparent's country. That is a rule that should be implemented imo.

Which leads me to believe that it's moving for soccer purposes. If a person moved to a country when they were 1, and is a citizen of the country he resides in, I highly doubt FIFA would bar him from playing for that country until he's 23. The rules probably have some sort of parameters I'm guessing, which again leads me to beleive the rule is specifically for kids moving to a country for soccer related purposes.

But you're just guessing right? See, I'm looking for cold, hard facts.

Archived