Hoilett article from English press

masster

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/burnley/premierleague/5040522./

Blackburn Rovers young gun Hoilett holds fire on international decision

9:30am Thursday 4th March 2010

By Andy Cryer »

JUNIOR Hoilett insists he is not even thinking about a potential ‘international dilemma’ as he focuses on repaying Blackburn Rovers for the faith they have shown in him over the last six years.

The Blackburn Rovers winger qualifies for both Jamaica and Canada but, despite interest from both, insists it is too early to be making any decisions about his international future.

The 19-year-old, who was born in Ottawa, Canada, has been attracting attention from his homeland as he continues to establish himself as a Premier League player but has so far turned down any invitations to join up with the national squad.

Hoilett, who once captained a Canada youth team, though is also eligible to represent Jamaica due to his parents and is understand to be on the Reggae Boyz’ radar also.

The Canadian starlet could also chose to wait and apply for an English passport, having been at Rovers since the age of 13, but for the moment he is not even considering anything else but the Premier League present.

He said: “ I am still trying to cement my place in the first 11 at Blackburn Rovers.

"I am really not focused on the international scene at the moment. Hopefully that will all come later.

“Right now I am focusing on my future at Blackburn. I will have to make a decision at some stage but I don’t believe we are at that stage yet.

“I believe I have a lot to learn and am just determined to keep developing. I can only do that at Blackburn and that is why I signed the new contract here.

“They have shown faith in me over the years and hopefully I can repay that. I have a lot of hard work to do and a long way to go. I know that.”

Hoilett was a member of the Rovers side who narrowly lost 2-1 at Anfield last weekend and, as his team mates return from international duty, is focusing on a challenging end to the season.

Rovers still have home games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United to come this campaign, as well as challenging trips to Spurs and Aston Villa, but Hoilett insists it is something to look forward to.

“At the moment we have all the big teams to play,” said Hoilett. “You want to play against the top teams and to prove yourself against the top teams in Europe, “We have teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal coming up and you want to play against them and you want to perform.

“The last few home wins have calmed us down and taken the pressure off our backs. We go into the next games with some breathing space.

“We don’t have to panic and we can perform our best and hopefully carry out a few shocks. We are looking ahead now. We are trying to catch the teams above us rather than worry about the teams behind us.”

How hard would it be to just say "I'm a proud Canadian and will be proud to wear the Maple Leaf in the future, but right now I am focusing on establishing myself at my club", and get rid of all speculation and questions?

Too hard, apparently.

I don't understand it either. It upsets me when people waffle on the privileges that their Canadian citizenship gives. To me, it is not hard to be Canadian!!

How hard would it be to just say "I'm a proud Canadian and will be proud to wear the Maple Leaf in the future, but right now I am focusing on establishing myself at my club", and get rid of all speculation and questions?

Too hard, apparently.

Hmmmmm, where have we heard this before, he doesn't sound very convincing that he will ever wear the Maple Leaf! IMO he is just waiting to see if he attracts any interest from England, if not he will probably fulfil his parents' wishes and play for Jamaica! You are right on Bertuzzi44!

I think people put way too much stock into suttle wording in an English paper. He is still 19 years old and has been living in England since he can remember. Let's all take ten deep breaths forget about Hoillett; until he commits he shouldn't be worried about by anyone, but the Scouts of CSA, we don't need Hart putting his focus on someone who isn't here yet, let's develop the ones that are cap tied, and worry about the one's who aren't when they do become cap tied.

Give the kid a break. Let's stop attacking potential future national team players before they decided where they are going to play their international football. If a national team's supporters started to attack you when there was still a possibility of you playing for them it wouldn't exactly encourage you to play for them.

Give the kid a break. Let's stop attacking potential future national team players before they decided where they are going to play their international football. If a national team's supporters started to attack you when there was still a possibility of you playing for them it wouldn't exactly encourage you to play for them.

I don't agree with the comment and if things are going to be the way you say here in Canada or with the CSA, then this is really sad.

I was just trying to make a point. It is cynical to think that the reason he hasn't made his international intentions clear yet is because he is waiting for the call from England. Until we hear anything definitive from him, you shouldn't have any reason to think he is ignoring Canada.

It happens to every country, I really don't have problems with as it's fair it works both ways. Bircham, Jackson and many others who are from other countries who play for us. You can't have it both ways. I don't think it's right to force players to play for their country of birth, but it should come down to where they grew up during their impressionable years usually that's usually where your heart ends up.

Which is why Canada needs to get the development at home into the main picture. The more of our top prospects that spend their time in domestic academies and squads will end up wanting to represent the Red and White with more passion.

Then I guess you don't like Adam Street, who as a very young kid was playing for England. Am I right?

Just out of interest, and slightly off topic, what happened to Adam Street? Wasn't he released by West Ham a short while ago?

Just out of interest, and slightly off topic, what happened to Adam Street? Wasn't he released by West Ham a short while ago?

He trained with TFC for maybe a week and since then no news of his whereabouts. We only know that he isn't training with TFC anymore. Maybe he's back at West Ham?

Then I guess you don't like Adam Street, who as a very young kid was playing for England. Am I right?

No. I think you misinterpreted my thoughts. I feel this way towards Hoilett because he clearly showed an indifference towards Canada, his country. That said, I believe that he decides to play for us , it won't be because he suddenly will feel some kind of pride being Canadian, he will do it for selfish interest. In Adam Street's case it's another story. He played for the U20 team and I'm glad he spend his young years developing as a player in Europe as he will get a better development there than in Canada.

BTW, for those who think Hoilett as a kid, I think he's by rights CMNT player level.

No. I think you misinterpreted my thoughts. I feel this way towards Hoilett because he clearly showed an indifference towards Canada, his country. That said, I believe that he decides to play for us , it won't be because he suddenly will feel some kind of pride being Canadian, he will do it for selfish interest. In Adam Street's case it's another story. He played for the U20 team and I'm glad he spend his young years developing as a player in Europe as he will get a better development there than in Canada.

BTW, for those who think Hoilett as a kid, I think he's by rights CMNT player level.

Just cause your CMNT level doesn't necessarily mean your a developed adult mind, especially when your a 19 year old who's done nothing, but play soccer in England. Hoillett isn't a kid by any means and is probably mature beyond his years when it comes to his play on the pitch; however from the way he speaks and carries himself it would seem off the pitch he still stuck in his high school years and still has a lot of room to mature and grow into an adult who can take a step back and look at his situation and make a rational choice about his playing future at the international level for the rest of his life.

I assume the academy squads of the Premier league treat their players much like the team of the CHL in hockey, where players are pushed to commit to a professional sport at a very tender age while basically putting school and social development on the back burner.

I don't think there is anything that unusual about a young player trying to break into a Premiership lineup delaying making an international commitment. This is especially so since the two countries he is currently eligible for aren't going to help his career at the EPL level and don't have much to play for for the next couple of years. If he were playing at a lower level club they might find him being called by Canada or Jamaica an honour and like to see him get high level international experience. An EPL club probably wants him to stay with the club and he probably needs to feel like he is an established starter before making plans for a major international commitment that could jeopardize his chances. The unusual part of the situation is not anything that Hoilett has done, it is the bad experience Canada has had with people who delay their choice of an international side. At one point one would hope that one of these guys is going to choose Canada despite delaying their decision for what in Hoilett's case I think are valid reasons.

I don't think there is anything that unusual about a young player trying to break into a Premiership lineup delaying making an international commitment. This is especially so since the two countries he is currently eligible for aren't going to help his career at the EPL level and don't have much to play for for the next couple of years. If he were playing at a lower level club they might find him being called by Canada or Jamaica an honour and like to see him get high level international experience. An EPL club probably wants him to stay with the club and he probably needs to feel like he is an established starter before making plans for a major international commitment that could jeopardize his chances. The unusual part of the situation is not anything that Hoilett has done, it is the bad experience Canada has had with people who delay their choice of an international side. At one point one would hope that one of these guys is going to choose Canada despite delaying their decision for what in Hoilett's case I think are valid reasons.

Nail on the Head.

Canada needs to be patient and not push on these kids either; we need to focus on the guys who are showing up for us and wait for Hoillett to make his choice on his time and terms. The more Canada makes it clear we are only interested in the players we have instead of these guys on the fence it will show the players on the fence that we are committed to the players who choose to represent us. I find CSA's obligations are to these players who haven't decided to lay their commitment for whatever reason, good or bad; instead of with the players who have committed to us.

Seriously right now, Hoillett should not be on our radar, besides one phone call re-assuring him he's on his way to a great career and that Canada well always be willing and waiting for him when he's ready to commit until then Canada wishes him all the success in his football career. We now should turn to the inside start developing guys like Jackson, Johnson, and Simpson into their full potential at the CMNT level. If we keep spending our time pining for what's out there we are gonna let what we have go to waste.

Canada has more than handful of players that could be in great form for the trek to 2014. We just need to move forward with what we have and if others see that we are committed to what we got; maybe some on the fence will buy in and join up.

Just cause your CMNT level doesn't necessarily mean your a developed adult mind, especially when your a 19 year old who's done nothing, but play soccer in England. Hoillett isn't a kid by any means and is probably mature beyond his years when it comes to his play on the pitch; however from the way he speaks and carries himself it would seem off the pitch he still stuck in his high school years and still has a lot of room to mature and grow into an adult who can take a step back and look at his situation and make a rational choice about his playing future at the international level for the rest of his life.

Maybe I'm misreading what you wrote, but Hoilett seems the opposite to me. Concentrating on club football and delaying international football is the level headed, mature option right now. The right move is to establish yourself at your club first before you go trekking around the world to play international friendlies. Although, as someone else has mentioned, I just wish he'd stop being so vague about who he may end up representing one day. He seems like a good kid though.

Maybe I'm misreading what you wrote, but Hoilett seems the opposite to me. Concentrating on club football and delaying international football is the level headed, mature option right now. The right move is to establish yourself at your club first before you go trekking around the world to play international friendlies. Although, as someone else has mentioned, I just wish he'd stop being so vague about who he may end up representing one day. He seems like a good kid though.

I think his vagueness is what I mean by his immaturity off the pitch; as I don't think he realizes the implications of his not at least answering straight forward are having on fans over here in North America. I feel if he just came out and said he on the fence between Canada and Jamaica and that he is not even thinking about it anyways right now; as he is just too focus and caught up in his club career. I think it would end a lot of the speculation around him at least in the CSA and Voyageur camps. People around here taking tip toeing around committed to Canada as basically saying No.

^ Vagueness is a sign of maturity. The ability to say nothing while appearing to say something is a sought-after skill. Most teenagers just blurt our whatever they are feeling, unaware of the consequence. Whether we (as CMNT supporters) like it or not, creating a market for your services between two competitors is also a sign of maturity. As much as I would love him to pick Canada, ultimately he is going to do what is in his self-interest, for which I can't entirely blame him in the circumstances (born in Canada to Jamaican parents, off to England in his early teens, a lengthy spell in Germany, back to England). It is easy to see how allegiances and loyalties get blurred.

Archived