Stephen Hart - The Right Choice for 2014?

powerof11

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen Hart named Canada's new men's head coach

The Canadian Soccer Association announced today that Stephen Hart has been appointed head coach of Canada's national team. Hart will be in charge of Canada's qualification efforts as Canada works toward the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil.

"Stephen Hart is the man in charge with the task to lead Canada to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil," said Canadian Soccer Association president Dr. Dominic Maestracci. "He delivers an exciting brand of football that has proven to be successful against our CONCACAF opponents. He will have full support of our country as he builds a winning team that will qualify us for Brazil in four years time."

"I am honoured to be chosen for this prestigious and very important position," said national head coach Stephen Hart. "I am fully aware of the expectation and look forward to the challenge of building a team for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers and beyond."

Hart most recently served as Canada's interim head coach for the 2009 season. He helped Canada compile a record of four wins, one draw and three losses, including a quarter-final finish at the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup. In the group stage of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, Hart led Canada to a first-place finish in its group. In the quarter-final stage, Canada lost 0:1 to Honduras who scored on a penalty kick.

In 18 career games over two stints as Canada's head coach (2006-07 and 2009), Hart has posted nine wins, two draws and seven losses. His 50% ratio of wins to games is the highest in Association history, ranking ahead of Barrie Clarke and Tony Taylor who each won six of 14 games for a 43% ratio. In those 18 games, Hart's teams have averaged 1.33 goals scored per game and 0.94 goals allowed per game - both the second-best totals behind Clarke's teams from the early 1980s (1.57 goals scored and 0.93 goals allowed per game).

Hart has been the Canadian Soccer Association's Technical Director since March 2008. In this role, he oversaw the Association's long-term player development program (Wellness to World Cup presented by BMO) and was in charge of directing and monitoring the national development teams, the coaching education program, the National Training Centres, and the sports medicine program. This vacancy will be filled in the coming months.

CONCACAF's next round of FIFA World Cup Qualifiers is scheduled to begin in 2012, which will take place after the next CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2011. To date, Canada's men's national team has won two CONCACAF championships - the 1985 CONCACAF Men's Championship (which qualified Canada for the 1986 FIFA World Cup Mexico) and the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup (which qualified Canada for the FIFA Confederations Cup Korea/Japan 2001).

Good to see that they will replace him as TD. Not that he did a poor job, in fact he strikes me as a fairly technical coach and individual so he was probably a breath of fresh air in that position. It's that the two jobs should be seperate; one is a long-term, strategic thinking position and the other is short-term, results-oriented. We can only hope we find a suitable, affordable replacement for the TD position.

This is VERY good. Canadian men's soccer is now going in the right direction. With all our young and "up and coming" lads in the wings, the horizon seems very promising. I feel that Stephen Hart also has the Unique advantage of having worked with a number of our senior National prospects. He knows these kids personally. He's dealt with their trials and tribulations. I personally think that's important.

The afct he knows most of the young kids coming through the ranks could be good or bad.

It all really depends on whether these kids see him as a good coach or not how they liked him already.

His impression could already eb made on a lot of our younger players lets all just hope that its all for the better and not the worse

I hope the Association is not annointing a manager for a full 4 years. I fully support SH until the summer of 2012 but, at that time, he needs to be seriously evaluated. To do this, and to hire a superior manager, we need to be filling the international dates. It sounds like both Hart and PM understand this, which is a huge step in the right direction.

Big Props to TFC for making all this footage available. They already have the systems set-up to be able to do this easily, allowing our footie writers to stick to the analysis.

I am indifferent about the signing of Hart. I wonder if part of this was a $$$ situation with the firing of Dale Mitchell and the debachale with the old CBA president, I am sure the CSA is still paying for these situations and Hart may be the best financial choice that the CSA had on the table.

Either way, his current involvement in the CSA more than makes him a a decent choice and I hope in two years time he will be proving that he was the right man for the job. ALLEZ LES ROUGES

James - Brunt have taken opposite sides of the fense in articles on the G&M page. Interesting point by PJ (one everyone here would be aware of anyways and mentioned above) is that Hart failed to qualify teams for the U-17 three times so why hand him the keys to the CMNT?

I think there are legit points that still merit Hart’s hire. He has a good rep with the players, success in the GC, and seems to be able to implement a style that will be successful in CONCACAF.

As for the U-17 and U-20 levels … we should be putting serious pressure on the coaches of those teams to qualify or consider themselves replaced after 2 straight failures. Fleming and Fonseca seem about as un-inspiring as they come. Save Mexico and USA, is anybody we are qualifying against even capable of putting up a decent budget to run a program?

Development has to be the key to the future of the NT.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Here's PJ article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/csa-errs-in-hiring-hart/article1392152/

PJ's article seems painfully simplistic. I expect better out of him.

If I'm reading him correctly, his solution is: hire foreign.

All things being equal, that would be great. However, he doesn't take into account:

a) the amount of money it would cost to go foreign

B) the quality of the supply of foreign coaches that would want the job or

c) the fact that foreign does not always equal success (see Rene Simoes).

He then goes on to point out two of Hart's faults: his nice-guy approach and the fact that he went 0-3 in qualifying U17s. He fails to consider that Mitchell was anything but a nice-guy and he went 3-0 for qualifying the U20s. Following PJ's logic, if Mitchell was only born in Scotland he would be the perfect candidate as he has all the other qualities.

All in all, seems like a pretty poor article.

I don't think PJs article is any weaker or stronger than any I've seen. The challenge to his reasoning that I would have liked to see him try to deal with in his article is Holger Osieck, who was Western European (and from a power rather than a minnow), was certainly not too nice of a guy and had success in the Gold Cup. In short, everything James seems to be arguing for. Yet, his team did not perform when it came to the big stage.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I don't think PJs article is any weaker or stronger than any I've seen. The challenge to his reasoning that I would have liked to see him try to deal with in his article is Holger Osieck, who was Western European (and from a power rather than a minnow), was certainly not too nice of a guy and had success in the Gold Cup. In short, everything James seems to be arguing for. Yet, his team did not perform when it came to the big stage.

I agree. I guess my thought was that if you are going to write a critical piece, I expect there to be some logical reasoning behind your viewpoint rather than what seems to amount to "I just read in a book that foreign managers are good, so we should hire a foreign manager."

If you are going to be critical, present some logical solutions. Just my opinion though.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I agree. I guess my thought was that if you are going to write a critical piece, I expect there to be some logical reasoning behind your viewpoint rather than what seems to amount to "I just read in a book that foreign managers are good, so we should hire a foreign manager."

If you are going to be critical, present some logical solutions. Just my opinion though.

I'm 100% with you on this El Hombre. All I read was a lot of negativity and no suggestions forwarded. In fact, I almost upchucked my lunch when I read PJ's article in the Globe.

And how is it that the "small, yet vocal group of pro-active fans" (guess we would be them) are partly responsible for the hiring of Hart. I think as a group even we are split on whether we should have hired Hart or not.

How come the article didn't discuss the challenges of getting a manager for Canada?

The CSA made the decision based on what they could afford and the options available. Sure I would have preferred a bigger "name" but 1) could we afford them, 2) would they want to come here, and/or 3) do we want to go there again?

If you want to discuss Western Europe, look at a country like Scotland...same problems, and in a place with a distinctive football history. Maybe that's why Stephen Brunt is a journalist and Paul James is just a hack.

I think both G & M articles make some valid points! I have posted before that I don't disagree with SH's hiring, I just think he has to get some results and get the team on track before 2014 qualifying! I brought up the point after Mitchell was hired that what if he is a failure at the U20's, as we all know it was a disaster, I don't think there are many here who felt confident with him at the helm heading into 2010 qualification! There were other factors besides Mitchell but that was a key one! My point being, if SH has 2 years of terrible results before 2012 we should have the sense to look in another direction just as most other soccer nations would! Good Luck to Stephen Hart!

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

JDV weighs in.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/12/offside_fixing_canadian_soccer_7.html

quote:Despite his nice-guy demeanour, Hart is a passionate individual who can now reach out to uncapped players like David Edgar and David Hoilett and lay out a plan for their international careers with Canada.

If those players choose to turn their backs on Canada, it will be their decision – not Hart’s.

Does DeVos knows something we don't about David Edgar? Or he just threw his name out there because he is uncapped?

Archived