25th July - TFC vs Colombus Crew

canucklefan

^ He's really only a depth player for this team. As far as MLS goes, i don't think he's much better or worse than most (not saying he played well, just that he's the level of guy you'll get for an MLS backup).

Now Nick Garcia on the other hand ... Did Mo just not bother what him suck in SJ all year prior to trading for him?

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

Velez must go. Beaten badly (again) on the tying goal. This team will go nowhere as long as he's on it.

Well chalk down this loss in part to the River Plate match. The only reason Velez was in the line-up is because of the injury to Nana in that game(and then Guevara in this one). He did cost them one goal, although I think Wynne was supposed to be marking the guy who popped in the winner.

Having said all that, I think TFC got away with what should have been a PK against them in the first half, so they were unlucky to lose in some ways not so unlucky in others. Spoilt a nice debut performance by Gerba and DeRo I believe breaking the record for most goals by a TFC players in one MLS season.

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

Velez must go. Beaten badly (again) on the tying goal. This team will go nowhere as long as he's on it.

Well chalk down this loss in part to the River Plate match. The only reason Velez was in the line-up is because of the injury to Nana in that game(and then Guevara in this one). He did cost them one goal, although I think Wynne was supposed to be marking the guy who popped in the winner.

Having said all that, I think TFC got away with what should have been a PK against them in the first half, so they were unlucky to lose in some ways not so unlucky in others. Spoilt a nice debut performance by Gerba and DeRo I believe breaking the record for most goals by a TFC players in one MLS season.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Who was it that was badly beaten on the winning goal? Should we get rid of him too?

Garcia?

Hell, I would. Horrible defending.

Man, Colombus has just owned Toronto since birth. Got to find the potion to fix that jinx.

Glad to see Gerba get his TFC career off to a good start with he and Barrett combining to punish that Crew mistake. Nice run and cross by Wynne on the first, but that was a slick, first time layoff (at least I think it was planned?) by Vitti to a wide open DeRosario. Sadly, the team was undermined by poor defending on all three goals.

Velez is SHOCKING! That goal was a great cross, but where was the marking? I'd be giving them the hair-dryer treatment for absolutely certain!!!! He's GOT TO GO. Maybe TFC should try and bring in Richard Hastings for Canadian content? Not that they could pay him what he is getting right now, I suppose. I bet Robinson would be a superior option at CB to Velez.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Am I alone who think Serioux play on the first goal was shocking trying a desperate tackle when he could've tried to stay with the man?

Agreed, but I think he gambled on the basis of a lack of physical fitness on his part (and playing out of position).

With Cronin back the next game TFC need to go back to a Wynne, Garcia, Serioux, Brennan back four and put Cronin back in midfield instead of Brennan.

with Columbus not having so many of their key players was TFC's game to lose and they did just that. Columbus were missing Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Alejandro Moreno, Chad Marshall and Robbie Rogers.

Something has to be done with the defense on this team but im not saying anything new. It just seems as tho tfc gives up easy goals no matter who plays. One player will play great one game then then next they will make a big error. I know people are not perfect but with the win they would have been tied for 1st instead of being in 4th place.

quote:Originally posted by guppy

Velez and Garcia are like two snails...

Everyone else seems to be able to see that so why did Cummins think he would be able to get away with it? He could have tried something radical and put Marvel Wynne at centre half and if he had to use Velez use him at right back. I'm not sure Serioux and Garcia is a much better option than Garcia and Velez at the moment given Serioux appears to be playing through injury. It will be interesting to see what Cummins does against the Islanders. Beyond that one issue, I thought it was a promising performance in terms of playing a possession style at a lower tempo.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Everyone else seems to be able to see that so why did Cummins think he would be able to get away with it? He could have tried something radical and put Marvel Wynne at centre half and if he had to use Velez use him at right back. I'm not sure Serioux and Garcia is a much better option than Garcia and Velez at the moment given Serioux appears to be playing through injury. It will be interesting to see what Cummins does against the Islanders. Beyond that one issue, I thought it was a promising performance in terms of playing a possession style at a lower tempo.

It was suggested on another forum that maybe TFC needs to go back to two holding mids in Cronin and Robinson to provide a better shield in front of the back four, than go with any three of DeRo, Vitti, Guevara, and Barrett supporting Gerba. Not sure what Guevara's injury situation is but Serioux seems to be labouring and not as effective as he was at the beginning of the season so he could probably use a little longer rest, but I'm not sure that's going to happen this week.

Definitely an option but Cronin to me is better suited to the beginning and end of the season when a high tempo style is the order of the day. Not sure he should be added to Wynne and Brennan in that regard. The problem is that the depth isn't really there at the moment. Time to add a player or two to replace some of those who have been cleared out of late, which is probably why patience is running out with JDG:-

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/07/26/22051.aspx

On the third goal Marvell Wynne was miles behind the play on the far post. All focus is on his speed but he is a poor defender in my opinion. The whole defence is shakey. Brennan should have been left at full back and Gala(who had a good game against River Plate) should have played in front of him. DeRo played too deep he has to get closer to Gerba if we are to be successful up front. I see DeRo playing a "Rooney" role, coming wide on the left linking with Gerba. Gerba is what he is though, a pure goal poacher.

quote:Originally posted by bingham

On the third goal Marvell Wynne was miles behind the play on the far post. All focus is on his speed but he is a poor defender in my opinion. The whole defence is shakey. Brennan should have been left at full back and Gala(who had a good game against River Plate) should have played in front of him. DeRo played too deep he has to get closer to Gerba if we are to be successful up front. I see DeRo playing a "Rooney" role, coming wide on the left linking with Gerba. Gerba is what he is though, a pure goal poacher.

Brennan has always look good in the outside MF roles. Notice that perfect cross to Barrett ( that he should have easily burried) in the game against San Jose. We have seen similar quality crosses while he was playing for the national team.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

I'm not sure Serioux and Garcia is a much better option than Garcia and Velez at the moment given Serioux appears to be playing through injury.

Serioux is most definitely playing with a variety of injuries. His play has dropped off considerably in the last 4-6 weeks after he was easily the best player on the team in the 1st month or so.

This team is a disaster at the back. Serioux is serviceable. The other 3 (that includes Brennan) are a liability.

Toronto FC scoring breakdown this season:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/672187

A stoppage-time goal in Columbus Saturday night made for the seventh time this season that Toronto FC has given up a late score that cost points. A look at TFC's scoring differential (+/-) by interval:

-1: 1-15 minutes

-4: 16-30 minutes

+1: 31-45+ minutes

+3: 46-60 minutes

+6: 61-75 minutes

-8: 76-90+ minutes

Not only giving up late goals, but not scoring too many goals late in the match either...

Archived