25th July - TFC vs Colombus Crew

canucklefan

quote:Originally posted by bingham

On the third goal Marvell Wynne was miles behind the play on the far post. All focus is on his speed but he is a poor defender in my opinion.....

Not making excuses for him but according to Jim Brennan after the game they were playing a three at the end of the game, which may partially explain why he was trailing the play a bit. The formation switch makes sense given the Crew went three at the back after Moffat came on for Padula but Velez, Garcia and Serioux were getting killed for pace and the third goal easily could have happened sooner.

Personally find the prospect of Wynne, Velez, Garcia, Brennan as a back four too horrific to even contemplate and think something imaginative needs to be done instead of going into Carver mode of throwing out the same players in the same formation game after game and fuming afterwards about not understanding what went wrong. Maybe Wynne, Garcia and Brennan in a three with Cronin and Gala as wing backs. Robinson, DeRo and Vitti in centre mid and Barrett and Gerba up top. Frei is a no brainer in goal obviously.

Could be Gomez tonight according to the Toronto Star:-

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/673253

And although coach Chris Cummins wasn't saying anything officially, 18-year-old Gambian Emmanuel Gomez, who started against River Plate, could get the nod again. He was with the first team partnering Nick Garcia in the centre of defence during a short scrimmage at practice yesterday.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Could be Gomez tonight according to the Toronto Star:-

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/673253

And although coach Chris Cummins wasn't saying anything officially, 18-year-old Gambian Emmanuel Gomez, who started against River Plate, could get the nod again. He was with the first team partnering Nick Garcia in the centre of defence during a short scrimmage at practice yesterday.

I just read the article and there's nothing in there about Gomez. Maybe somebody at TFC called Young and asked him to remove it? Or maybe told him to remove it if he was interested in remaining in good odour with the club?

My first thought about Gomez is that Cummins would need to have some real brass to start an eighteen-year-old with virtually no experience, given that success over the Islanders guarantees three more full houses in the Group stage. That's a lot of money they'd be pissing away if they didn't go all out, or look like they were going all out to win. But you have to ask, is Velez much (or any) better? He's been a virtual turnstile since early in the season, and his partner Garcia--who often looks like he's pulling a trailer out there--is not much help. Add to this the fact that neither Brennan nor Wynne are reliable--either is capable of surprising with a fatal error at any moment--and you have a potential disaster every time out. May God go with us tonight!

[note to mods: this post and the one preceding it should really be in the TFC/Puerto Rico match thread in the Voyageurs/CONCACAF Champions League forum but I don't have housekeeping privileges . . .]

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Because he's playing his former team tonight, I'd give Velez the nod over Gomez.

Play Gomez! At least you will have youth and quickness going for you. Seriously he will be pumped and I think he will be much quicker than Velez or Garcia. You will need some speed in the CB position tonight because PRI have a lot in their attackers.

Good luck and I hope Ali gets a hattrick tonight!

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

It was suggested on another forum that maybe TFC needs to go back to two holding mids in Cronin and Robinson to provide a better shield in front of the back four, than go with any three of DeRo, Vitti, Guevara, and Barrett supporting Gerba.

Judging from what I've seen so far it looks like TFC have opted for something like this against PRI this evening.

Archived