July 29: TFC vs. Puerto Rico Islanders (R)

Okay, that was pretty sloppy so far. Almost lazy at times by TFC. That won't do.

Barret had a good half. More and more I get the impression Ali G and he seem to have an understanding out there and that should profit them both in the long run.

Man, that Gomez kid needs some work. Looks like there is a foundation there, something to start with but still, he's going to need some work.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least you don't have to beat them by 4 goals in Puerto Rico. Like I said bring your "A" game because the Islanders are one tough side and very well coached. TFC had most of the possession time but couldn't get enough shots on net.

Better luck next time in the Caribbean.

LOL! Geezus, TFC are in the fire now.

Great finish on the goal. Real smart finish but in all honesty the opportunity should never have been presented. Oh-my-Gawd. This team sometimes...

PR look like they could be opened up. I think TFC can crack them open in style but not with what they brought tonight. Damn.

And here I thought Dichio was injured! Bring him on at the 85th when it's odvious you're getting killed in the air? WTF? I was expecting a more speedy attack from TFC at the get go but then to leave Dichio out for 95% of the match? Cummins couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

They're in the fire now. If Cummins thinks he'll see better from his squad in Puerto Rico after travelling 3,000 km and playing three matches in 8 days he's off his nut. They needed three points tonight.

quote:Originally posted by GoF

I like how the commentators are now saying that taking a 0-0 scoreline to Puerto Rico next week is a good thing!

Lot of empty seats around (and I'm not talking about the ones for the Real Madrid game! [:P])

Looked a good crowd! That east grandstand is always the emptiest. We only got the one look at the west grandstand and it looked full up. Think there was a very decent crowd out tonight.

Maybe tells you something about the quality of the CMNT, SoccerfanatiQ (i.e not as good as some on here like to think). I think De Rosario should have played more centrally with Cronin if he had to be used out wide. That way the three best bets in possession terms (Robinson, Vitti and De Rosario) could have combined better. With the team that was put out there and the number of speculative high balls into the box Dichio should have been on much sooner. Cummins was outcoached tonight.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

TFC just not good enough, tonight's result must be very embarrassing for them and their fans.

I don't see why this is so. If Puerto Rico hadn't beaten some of the best teams in CONCACAF last year, you'd be right. But they did last year so there should be no shame in losing to them. From what I saw, Toronto had most of the play but just couldn't find the back of the net.

No shame in that at all.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

2 players equals almost half? Yeah TFC are just bad.

I've got three. By my reckoning maybe Serioux, maybe DDR, and of course Mr. Ali G.

Yes, that's right. Maybe</u> de Rossario. That's it. That's all.

Two "maybes" and a poacher.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I've got three. By my reckoning maybe Serioux, maybe DDR, and of course Mr. Ali G.

Yes, that's right. Maybe</u> de Rossario. That's it. That's all.

Two "maybes" and a poacher.

Too bad the poacher missed that chance from Cronin's headed pass in the second half.

Also Brennan as well going a bit further back. What I took from SoccerfanatiQ's post was that he expected more against a USL-D1 team from CMNT level players like De Rosario, Gerba and Brennan and I find it hard to argue against that. I personally doubt that a fit Serioux and Sutton for Frei if he were still on the roster would have made much of a difference so you can construct an up to half sort of argument based on quality of players that have been on the TFC roster this season.

Serioux also didn't play. So shal we call it 1.5?

Anyway, it was a disapointing game for TFC. The biggest issue i thought was the creative ability of the midfield (and the poor crossing quality). Carl Robinson simply cannot be the playmaker for any attack, he has no creativity and limited passing ability. The wing play was terrible, both from the mid and attacking from the back.

The only positive i saw was that Gomez looked more confortable than last game. Maybe we can find him a sup appearance or two so he can continue to progress. Starting him at this point would seem less than ideal.

How about we construct an argument where 2 players on the field that can be reasonably expected to be a part of the Canadian NT going forward. Let's maybe give this sillyness a rest and dissect the game instead?

Puerto Rico had little in the way of dangerous play and capitalized on a mistake. Besides that they played defensive, counter-attack football to a tee and walked out with a cynical 1-0 win. Good for them.

Sorry I forgot about Gerba, But if Serioux did not play that would still be 2. Brennan I would not count. Though if we were to count Brennan I suppose we should say the same about Welsh and American Internationals level players. I would just say that TFC are not very good. I doubt very much that they make the playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Carl Robinson simply cannot be the playmaker for any attack, he has no creativity and limited passing ability.

His strengths are as a ballwinner and knowing how to get open for a quick outlet pass from the defence. The player beside him in centre mid needs to be the main playmaker if a patient possession-oriented style is going to be used because Robinson definitely is not good at defence splitting passes, which is why Guevara has been playing a deeper role of late. Guevara's absence wasn't adequately addressed.

Archived