July 29: TFC vs. Puerto Rico Islanders (R)

How about we talk about a game in this forum? TFC plays its home leg of the preliminary round of the CCL a week today.

What does Toronto need to do to advance past a tough Islanders side (IMO the best team in USL-1). Will Toronto play a first-choice line-up, or, like other MLS teams have done in the past, prioritize league play?

Thoughts?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Med_Hat_FC

Well, with DeRo not playing in the All-Star game, I think they will play an 80% first team line-up. Maybe they will give Edwards the start, especially to rest Frei between two tough road matches.

If they play what is clearly a second choice lineup, they will not win. That's why I believe they'll take the competition seriously.

If they win this series, are they not guaranteed 3 more home games in group play?

3 more games to sell tickets, beer, and memorabilia without having to pay an additional cent in players' salaries. My bet is MLSE makes sure they have close to a full strength squad.

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

If they win this series, are they not guaranteed 3 more home games in group play?

3 more games to sell tickets, beer, and memorabilia without having to pay an additional cent in players' salaries. My bet is MLSE makes sure they have close to a full strength squad.

The MLSE only cares about money thing is way overblown, but, yes...it would mean three more home dates. Although they won't be part of the ST package (it would be interesting to see how the first game would sell as TFC would only have, at most, two weeks to sell it (and a good portion of the crowd at a TFC game is clueless to what the CCL is).

I bet there will be a lot of youth groups at a CCL group stage game...

I think TFC will have its hands full with this team, especially at BMO (which seems ironic) MediaGuy could probably speak to the Islanders road style of play better than I, but I do recall them being a bunker team. Toronto really seems to struggle against this style of play on the BMO turf. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to break the PR Islanders down? If you were CC, what strategy/tactics would you use in this game?

quote:Originally posted by MexTFC

I think TFC will have its hands full with this team, especially at BMO (which seems ironic) MediaGuy could probably speak to the Islanders road style of play better than I, but I do recall them being a bunker team. Toronto really seems to struggle against this style of play on the BMO turf. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to break the PR Islanders down? If you were CC, what strategy/tactics would you use in this game?

They threw nine behind the ball in the CCL last year and were deadly on the counter. Got some brilliant goalkeeping too.

You're right; this is a bad match-up for Toronto. What's bit TFC in the ass in the V-Cup has been dealing with Vancouver's more direct, organized game. Puerto Rico will bring that same sort of look.

I do, obviously, think Toronto can win this. But I won't be comfortable if they go south with anything less than a two-goal lead. This might be a game where a guy like Gerba, who can bury a half chance, can really make a difference.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Would you personally rather have TFC win the MLS Cup of the Champions League?

I'm not sure winning the CCL is realistic, so I'd have to say that I would "rather" win the MLS Cup, as it's the championship of the league TFC plays in. However, I want to see Toronto get to the group stage of the tournament because it would provide a great test and some entertaining football. And I want MLS teams to take the CCL seriously. I’ll have lots to say if TFC doesn’t play a first choice line-up here.

TFC has been drawn into a very tough group, so the quarters are going to be hard to get to. But, that would be perfect - a March game at BMO!

If TFC fields a second choice line-up, they will be bounced on their ass. Colin Clarke will have his team prepared and well organized. He is a very capeable manager, and will not hesitate to make adjustments when necessary.

PR will have Haitian Internationals Fabrice Noel and James Marcellin available to play. Christain Arrieta their right back is the leading scorer in USL play. Their weakness is their center backs, big but not very mobile. Bill Gaudette is excellent in nets. Look for them to look for the counters.

Why does anyone think TFC would be fielding a second-choice lineup? Did they do so in the V-Cup?

The very fact that DeRo is skipping the All-Star Game is proof enough that Toronto will be taking these games seriously.

The CCL is a new-ish event. It will take some time for it to build a strong base. If building a stronger Canadian pro system is the plan, TFC needs to get past the group stage. The media will take notice and other potential owners may see the benefit from getting into USL-1 over MLS (a cheaper option to play TFC a couple of times per season).

How do you rank the trophies? MLS Cup, Supporters Shield, Voyageurs Cup, CONCACAF Champions League. For me the CCL has to be the major aim, it will put the club on one of the biggest stages possible.

Does anyone even know what TFC is going to look like a week from now?

Players coming in, players come back from injury. Might actually be an awkward time for TFC to be starting their CCL run against a pretty sound 1st Division side.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Why does anyone think TFC would be fielding a second-choice lineup? Did they do so in the V-Cup?

The very fact that DeRo is skipping the All-Star Game is proof enough that Toronto will be taking these games seriously.

They might, if they under estimate the Islanders, which would be a huge mistake.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

PR is better than both Montreal and Vancouver, and TFC didn't underestimate either of those teams.

All I know was that DDR's intensity in the final match against the

Impact was enough proof that TFC was dead serious about the Voyageurs

Cup and the CCL.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

That is correct, they didn't underestimate both teams. They won't be playing Puerto Rico's "C" side either.

What is your point?

TFC beat both teams' A-side in the V-Cup as well.

quote:Originally posted by MexTFC

Does anyone have thoughts on the best way for TFC to play against PR? If you were CC, what strategy would you use?

------------- Frei ---------------

Wynne--Garcia--Serioux--Brennan

------------Robinson-----------

Vitti-------Guevara-----Dero

------Gerba--------Barrett

Having one extra mid back to defend against the counter will be crucial hence Robinson even though I think he has not played that great recently.

Archived